lilchief

27,5 angel, 2km tracking, 210 km/h horizontal speed :D

Just spoke to a local basejumper that i know. He told me that they have managed to developed a new tracking technique. They had an angel of 27,5 degrees without a wingsuit. The guy was tracking for some 2km(I don't know how high the exit point was). Horizontal speed was 210km/h. They have been using a windtunnel to test it and it took them 2 years.

A DVD will be released at my hometown soon. It's supposed to be awesome and groundbreaking!

Though you wantet to know :)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Great, now go out there and have a perfect launch. After the exit, hold an angle of 27.5 degrees and you would have a perfect track! Hmmm.....What about clothing, if you wear more clothing on upper or lower body it throws that number off. Oh, what if you carry more weight on you upper body than most, that would throw the number off too. That is about as accurate as saying that if you put the Space Shuttle and a glider at the same angle of attack they will fly the same speed and same distance [:/]

He told me that they have managed to developed a new tracking technique

I feel a new term coming on. How about 27.5-monauti or Quart-monauti or Jump-of-the-edge-and-go-like-F@ck-monauti?

Probably those crazy VKB mob. Too much time in the Arctic circle will make you do some pretty sick sh*t.

Mindblowing stuff

I think 27.5 degrees was the glide angle, not the angle of attack.

I make that about 2:1? That would be very impressive, even with a tracking suit. Bring it on!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

VKB (Verdal Karsk and BASE;try spelling it :ph34r:) was most likely involved yes;)

When I get my hands on a copy, I could send it to someone and they could distribute it.

I'm not a basejumper my self, so any technical questions must be directed to VKB.:)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I was just thinking about how impressive a 25 degree angle track is. seriously, a human body was not designed for that. The amazing thing is, its working, and it makes sense.

The human bodies position and shape can be changed instantly in flight. In all reality, we have the most advanced, fastest developing aerodynamic platform of any aircraft out there,

Take sailplanes for example, the ones i fly have a glide ratio of around 50 to 1, and a sink rate of sometimes less than 35 meters per minute. Now, imagine if we could take the rigid carbon airfoil of a Nimbus, and in flight change it to the perfect shape, instantly, for any flying condition, or speed. Imagine what could happen to that number if a wing could sense and feel and correct as fast as a human body can in flight.

we are going to live forever.
innovate or die.

> I make that about 2:1? That would be very impressive, even with a tracking suit. Bring it on!
Yes, indeed, it makes it 1.92:1. Outstanding results! With that efficiency you can make it to the landing at ITW.
It's not that I think it is b u l l s h i t but I can hardly imagine that "simply" shaping your body (in some strange position) you can achieve efficiency equal to the ones obtained by a lot of people with a wingsuit on!!!!!!!!!
With your body you can't do that much: open/close you legs, get your arms closer/farer to your body, varying at pelvis the angle of trunk/legs, positioning your head, I cannot see more than that.
I look really forward to see their DVD!!!!!!!
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Comments for one of the VKB video's (We fly, you can hardly move)

Last jump from "********", 350 m overhang wall, 1600 m total, 1850 m from exit to where I pulled

Given the 42 second Delay(and estimating pull @100M) , I make that Vertical ~83Mph, Horzizontal ~103Mph with Glide ~1.25:1 with angle of ~36%

Can't wait to see the "New Standards" DVD, to see what they are doing in wingsuits (check out the teaser).

Their home-made tracking suits look markedly different from the inflatable style tracking suits (more tight and streamlined). Does anyone know if they use BM/PF/GS/S-FLY/MATTER Wingsuits or have they come up with something of their own design in this area also?

Hi!

We recorded a flight during heli-boogie at kjaerag with a glideratio of 27 degrees. However this was at max flare, not the average angle. That was around 40. The angle and speed diagrams are attached. A part of the flight is missing due to loss of GPS contact.

And yes, the outfits are homemade.

Douggie, are you the one who took an early swim from Smell this summer? When are you coming to the (real) big walls?

VKB

That's f*cking impressive. Holding 1.5-1.9 glide ratio for 10 seconds is not just a momentary "flare". Care to explain body position and other details?

Which GPS was used to record at 0.1s intervals?

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I figured this post was about someone else saying they track like that. I can believe it if it is about y´all! ;)

Hello,
Does anybody else see the irony of "groundbreaking" BASE jumping.
Avery

spelling edit
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

:D I didn't think of that....good one

haha;)
www.lilchief.no

That's f*cking impressive. Holding 1.5-1.9 glide ratio for 10 seconds is not just a momentary "flare". Care to explain body position and other details?

Which GPS was used to record at 0.1s intervals?

Yuri

Hi,

by "flare" i mean increasing lift and drag at the same time, resulting in increased glide ratio while reducing absolute velocity. during this particular flight the idea was to build speed with a relatively long steep dive. that way i would have excess speed which would give increased range. you can see from the speed diagrams that from13-14 sec the (absolute) speed is decreasing continuously till pulltime. this is due to the "flare". i guess i would have stalled the track pretty soon if the flight was continued a couple of more seconds.

the GPS used is an expensive unit used for geographical surveys. it has a capacity of recording at 20 hz. we just borrow it:P

VKB

ps. the film "superterminal" (known by the working title "new standards") will have a limited release hopefully within a couple of weeks.

I know of some inertial units that we use for seismic work. You wouldnt have to worry about data loss since there is no satellite connection. The downside is that each unit weighs 40lbs and cost around $250,000. That might affect your track in a negative way :)

Impressive tracking, but near massive object GPS signal got reflected, this "mutlipath" effect creates measurement errors. Simple physics formulas will highlight measurements incoherency. All GPS units are affected.
Have fun
jerome

From a GPS log I have(not mine) after a dive and planeout in a wingsuit, between sec 18 and sec 41 of the jump, the average GR is 3.37. Overall GR for the jump before a 90 degree turn is 2.0 and overall GR is 1.7

The planeout is not really a planeout...it is full flight and is still quite steep but the speed keeps dropping but is between 100mph and 120 mph for the whole period.

The GPS we used is not that accurate...its just a cheap Handheld unit without DGPS.

Multipath errors from GPS are quite small. If the error was only from multipath, it is not even worth worrying about.

Check this

Kris.

I know of some inertial units that we use for seismic work. You wouldnt have to worry about data loss since there is no satellite connection. The downside is that each unit weighs 40lbs and cost around $250,000. That might affect your track in a negative way :)

I've been looking into building a "cheap" inertial unit out of this. The unit is small and light, and sampling rate would be more than 100 Hz.

I'm not completely certain about the integration accuracy yet. It could be combined with a GPS, but what I'd like to do is keep it simple and just use the inertial data. This isn't really useful for skydiving (with a long plane right before the jump), but for BASE jumping (where you can guarantee that you're standing still just before exit, the jump is a couple of minutes at most, and you can additionally guarantee that you're standing still at the end), it might be enough.

Michael