base428

$500 Cash If You Can Provide the NPS Jumper Suspect List

This is the first time I've ever been on this site, so hi, nice to meet you all. I'm Link, the guy who (according to rumor) hates base jumpers and should work as a sperm bank security guard (instead of a climbing ranger in Yosemite).

First off, I'm only on this site because someone told me they'd heard nasty things about me on a base-jumper forum. Since I don't have anything to do with base jumping (and never have), this came as quite a surprise, so I thought I'd check it out. Low and behold, apparently I'm far better known to the base jumping community than I thought... somewhat odd since I've never had anything to do with the sport. Even more strange was the email (that showed up while I was writing this post) offering me a base jumping clinic.

I'll cut to the chase. Here's a few things to get on the record. Feel free to quote me, copy and paste me, whatever.

- I haven't ever base jumped, though I've been considering sky diving (gotta try it once).
- I haven't ever busted a base jumper.
- I haven't ever tipped off anyone else who's busted a base jumper (despite what you might have read elsewhere).
- I haven't ever been involved in a base jumping bust.
- I have never turned a blind eye to base jumpers or otherwise participated in an illegal jump (nor do I plan to).
- The only base jumps I have ever seen were on the same day Jan Davis died (yes, I was involved in the recovery).
- Yes, I have worked five summers as a seasonal climbing ranger for Yosemite's wilderness department (three as a back-country ranger before that).
- Technically speaking, my father is not, in fact, a howler monkey, though he will appreciate the compliment.

I came to Yosemite because I love this place, and I've stayed a seasonal peon ranger for eight years because I still love this place. My job has always revolved around wilderness ethics, education, and climbing; never base jumping. Since the personal attacks on this site are, well, personal... I thought I'd step up and say hi instead of hiding in the shadows like I've been accused of doing. Again, this is the first time I've ever been on this site and the first time I've known that the "base jumping community" cares (or even knows) that I exist.

As for my personal beliefs about base jumping, they're pretty simple. I'm amazed by some of the feats you pull off, and I wish you the best of luck in enjoying your sport safely. Do I want to try? I'm more passionate about other things at the moment. As for how these beliefs relate to my job in Yosemite... they don't. Base jumping is not currently allowed in the park, and that's got nothing to do with me. If you want to see base jumping legalized, launching illegally and saying you want to bust the climbing ranger's kneecaps is probably not the best route to take.

As for base jumpers as individuals, I've met some I respect and some I don't, just like climbers. Each of our communities is a mixed bunch, so I do my best to judge people individually. All I ask is that you do the same.

I don't plan on being a regular visitor on this forum, just thought I'd toss in my two cents for anyone who's interested.

As for the offer to check out a base jumping clinic... it's not out of the question... though I must say reading this thread makes me a bit more apprehensive about the idea.

Good luck with your adventures, and if you ever want to have a chat in person, swing by the sperm bank.
-Link

Hey Link!

Thank you for your post! It’s nice to see a ranger adding to this discussion! As you can see from my posting name, I’m 21 years old and I am also very new to the BASE community. I started skydiving when I was 18 and started BASE jumping a little over a year ago. Most of the issues between BASE jumpers and NPS rangers started while I was in diapers and some before I was even born.

From seeing your picture somewhere and recalling past postings about you I believe that you are somewhere in your lower 30’s or younger? Am I correct? In your post, which I quoted below, you said your personal beliefs about BASE-jumping were “pretty simple.” Well…you really didn’t give any personal opinions about how you felt other than the legal status has nothing to do with you.

After reading your posting, I have this question for you: I would like to know your personal opinion on whether you think Backcountry Parachuting, not BASE, should be allowed within NPS lands. I say Backcountry Parachuting because BASE involves jumping from objects that are privately owned property. The BASE community does not desire to legalize jumping from buildings down the street. What we do desire is to have the same access to government owned lands that other citizens of this country are allowed. Being at the age you are, where you were not directly involved with many of the problems between Backcountry Parachutists and NPS rangers, I would like to know how you feel about us and the legal status to get an idea of the opinions of the younger generation of NPS rangers. And please, do elaborate on reasons you feel for or against it regardless to the fact that “the legal decision has nothing to do with you.”

Thank you Link!

David Coco

As for my personal beliefs about base jumping, they're pretty simple. I'm amazed by some of the feats you pull off, and I wish you the best of luck in enjoying your sport safely. Do I want to try? I'm more passionate about other things at the moment. As for how these beliefs relate to my job in Yosemite... they don't. Base jumping is not currently allowed in the park, and that's got nothing to do with me.

Rrrriiiiight........:S

Instead of acting skeptical and publically announcing you want to do something to his kneecaps, I would much rather hear your side of the story and see you share what you think Link, in person, has done wrong to us.

I've heard some of the stories, but I don't have the sources to back them up. If you can share them, then Link is given a chance to give us his side of the story. We can then decide to call bullshit after that, but at least it'll make for a more civil conversation.

What I will ask is this; is this the first time in the history of BASE and the internet that a park official is posting on a BASE forum without hiding behind a secret identity? Regardless of whether or not Link is an asshole or a great guy (I simply don't know yet), I think it's a point in BASE history worth remembering.

January 16th 2006, the day the rangers started talking to the jumpers, or the day we retaliated by threatening their kneecaps?

With all due respect Chad, you knew full well what risks you were taking when you made that jump. It doesn't make it suck any less when you get busted, but we shouldn't complain to the NPS any more than we should complain to a building owner when we strike his building because of a 180.

I agree Jaap! This is a good day! Whether Link is a good guy or not, I think it is positive that he has posted. I do think it is unfortunate that his reason for posting was because of the threatening of his kneecaps talk, but either way I’m glad he posted.

I definitely think it is important to have a dialogue between jumpers and rangers. It’s just like in a relationship! Communication is the key to getting things done and making up after a fight. So lets stop fighting and get to the makeup sex! Figuratively speaking of course!!!! :D

Good to see a ranger finally post something on here, even if you are only part time. In case you didn't know, some jumpers have been busted in Yosemite via "climbers on the wall calling down to other rangers" and they're probably pointing the finger at you. That is why they are so emotional.

What I do know is that legal BASE jumping in National Parks goes far beyond you, me, Yosemite, Bridge Day, and this forum. The actions of jumpers on this forum aren't going to make a bit of difference when it comes to legal jumps in Yosemite. In my opinion, Congressional action and/or a lawsuit (or similar means) might change things. Wishing harm upon rangers in this forum is far less harmful than when Yosemite rangers denied medical assistance to an injured jumper until he divulged the name of his jumping partner.

Speaking of Yosemite, rangers seriously disrepected me when they sat on my permit request for nearly five months, then mailed back my check with no explanation. My Congressman is gonna love this one....

However, for Bridge Day this year the NPS wants my $1878 landing zone permit fee by June 1st. They aren't very quick to routinely say NO at Yosemite, but they'll gladly take my money EARLY for Bridge Day.
I'm just sorry that I wasted so many years of my life being nice to the NPS only to find out that I (we) were being backstabbed.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

we shouldn't complain to the NPS any more than we should complain to a building owner when we strike his building because of a 180.

Who in their right mind would complain to a building owner about a 180 building strike? Regardless, I think some of us have forgotten (or never learned) the history of the NPS and BASE jumpers. It's been 25+ years of discrimination. Do you think a forum conversation with a part time ranger is gonna change anything? Maybe if we send Christmas cards to all the parks, they'll let us jump?

The NPS doesn't have to change a damn thing regarding parachuting laws. And things will be the same for the next 25 years unless we get SMARTER and find a way to stop the discrimination. Forget talking to rangers and start talking to your Congressman, Senators, or lawyer.

EDIT: Read the attachment for some basic history on NPS/Jumpers.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Who in their right mind would complain to a building owner about a 180 building strike?

Nobody, that was precisely my point!

Do you think a forum conversation with a part time ranger is gonna change anything? Maybe if we send Christmas cards to all the parks, they'll let us jump?

None of us argued that, but physical threats are not doing us any good either. They won't necessarily harm our cause, but it's still considered unpolite in most parts of the world.

The main point I was trying to make was beyond any issues between BASE jumpers and the NPS; it's about how human beings interact in a civil manner.

Maybe Link did something to deserve his kneecaps being blown to pieces -within somebody's justice system-, but without the accompanying justification such a remark in isolation serves nobody.

You know Jaap, I like you, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm not interested in telling my side of the story, nor am I interested in entertaining any conversation with Link. None.

I'm not here to argue with anybody, and I don't feel the need to justify my opinions about this matter.

Until you experience a NPS bust, you really don't know. And save me the lecture about the risks and all that shit. You don't see me whining here. I don't care what you prefer.

but you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure I don't, but you're not giving me a chance to learn about it either.

How about this one?

I really hate [black/jewish/white/blonde/asian/abbie] people; they should all get their kneecaps blown out.

But... I'm not interested in telling you why. Until you've experienced a conversation with somebody like that, you don't really know.

Sounds kinda familiar?

I don't feel the need to justify my opinions about this matter.

That's too bad. Usually when people resort to physical threats they're not even given a chance to explain how they got to their opinion. We gave you one, and instead you resort to rhetoric.

I must admit, I'm surprised that Tom didn't remove your comment in the first place.

I apologize if my posts are pissing you of Chad. I really like and respect you too, and I certainly believe that having been busted you might have a different attitude towards NPS folks than most of us have. But I stand by my opinion that that is no excuse for an unjustified physical threat.

To reiterate; I'm not asking you to renounce the physical threat, I'm just interested in what experience in particular makes you feel Link deserves one.

When you realize how long the NPS has been absolutely screwing people over, then you will know where I'm coming from.

Usually when people resort to physical threats they're not even given a chance to explain how they got to their opinion. We gave you one, and instead you resort to rhetoric.

So you're now a part of some board that I'm supposed to testify before to prove my opinions hold weight?

No thanks. I don't feel that I need to justify my feelings on this matter. I'm done with it. I never asked for your approval.

I must admit, I'm surprised that Tom didn't remove your comment in the first place.

Maybe its because even if the words seem harsh and inappropriate, they convey an opinion that's held close to heart by most jumpers who have been around longer than a couple years.

So you're now a part of some board that I'm supposed to testify before to prove my opinions hold weight?

If the board is the general audience this forum is meant for, I suppose I could be considered a part of it. I won't use the word testify, but it is generally considered beneficial in discussions to substantiate opinion with fact.

In this case my ignorance and my unwillingness to take your word for it forces me to be skeptical towards the stance you're taking, unless you would take the time to provide some background.

Sorry Chad, the smoke from those rotating wind vents is fucking with my head. I'll shut up now... [:/]

I really hate [black/jewish/white/blonde/asian/abbie] people; they should all get their kneecaps blown out.

But... I'm not interested in telling you why. Until you've experienced a conversation with somebody like that, you don't really know.

Sounds kinda familiar?

Your example is a generalization about a group that people cannot choose to be part of or not, and in which membership is held regardless of personal choice or actions.

Chad is referring to specific experiences with individual people who have made actual choices and taken specific actions which have had a real impact on his life.

That's actually a pretty significant difference.

I suggest both of you guys table this discussion until tomorrow, and give yourselves a chance to chew it over in the privacy of your own heads before posting more of your thoughts here.

You might even consider just picking up the phone and talking it over a little.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Your example is a generalization about a group that people cannot choose to be part of or not, and in which membership is held regardless of personal choice or actions.

Yes, you are correct. But replace [] with NPS, 'conversation' with 'encounter' and the analogy becomes only marginally less ridiculous.

Chad is referring to specific experiences with individual people who have made actual choices and taken specific actions which have had a real impact on his life. That's actually a pretty significant difference.

It is only a significant difference to the reader if he actually offered the background of his experiences. He hasn't done so, so his post in isolation remains similar to my analogy (given the suggested changes above following your observation on making a different generalization).

I guess I'm failing miserably at getting my point across here. I'm not argueing whether or not Chad is wrong. In fact, if the many stories and rumours I have heard about Link and other NPS people are true, I am even inclined to agree with him. But without a specific background, a single-handed public threat towards a single individual remains a less than ideal form of communication.

Yes, you are correct. But replace [] with NPS, 'conversation' with 'encounter' and the analogy becomes only marginally less ridiculous.

No, it doesn't. The analogy you made is a kind of generalization fallacy.

And Chad didn't make a threat, he made a wish.

Even without his experience, NPS has done more than enough to warrant an overflow of ill-feeling from the base community.

Link is quite the achiever--a single post by one NPS employee is enough to incite base jumpers to bicker among themselves.

You might want to keep in mind that no one ever got anywhere by sleeping with the enemy. Jason is right; it's going to take Congressional action or a lawsuit, and trying to worm your (used collectively) way just won't work, quite apart from the fact that even if it did, you (again used collectively) would always be subject to the whim of those in charge.

rl

(I guess my resolve to stay out of this forum isn't as strong as it ought to be, but this was worth taking another hit from Faber about his perception of my negativity.)
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

No, it doesn't. The analogy you made is a kind of generalization fallacy.

The original analogy (then I agree, but I already said that), or the updated one? Tell me that: "I really hate NPS people; they should all get their kneecaps blown out. But... I'm not interested in telling you why. Until you've experienced an encounter with somebody like that, you don't really know." doesn't sound a little silly.

But lest it still be considered too generic, let me make it even more specific; "I really hate Link; I'd like to get his kneecaps blown out. But... I'm not interested in telling you why. Until you've experienced an encounter with him, you don't really know."

That'll work well in front of a judge trying to understand your motivation for doing so...

And Chad didn't make a threat, he made a wish.

Well, if we're going to argue semantics; my dictionary says: "An expression of an intention to inflict pain, injury, evil, or punishment." Saying one would: "...like to shoot [somebody] in both kneecaps..." sounds a lot like that to me.

Even without his experience, NPS has done more than enough to warrant an overflow of ill-feeling from the base community.

But even when directed towards a specific park ranger whose involved in such injustice is unclear to the majority of the readers here? Or are we arguing that all park rangers are guilty simply by extension of their NPS membership, similar to how we consider all members of a criminal organization to be some part guilty?

Link is quite the achiever--a single post by one NPS employee is enough to incite base jumpers to bicker among themselves.

Don't give him more credit than he deserves. I'm pretty sure that quickly I'm becoming the real dick in this whole discussion.

You might want to keep in mind that no one ever got anywhere by sleeping with the enemy.

I'm not trying to get into Link's pants at all, sigh... :S

I'm trying to figure out what specifically Link has done to deserve a directed wish of ill-being. Is it a particular event or because he works for the NPS?

I'm trying to figure out what specifically Link has done to deserve a directed wish of ill-being

Jaap, maybe you should let it rest (as Tom previously requested). Chad obviously has his reasons and he doesn't need to justify anything.

Jaap, maybe you should let it rest (as Tom previously requested). Chad obviously has his reasons and he doesn't need to justify anything.

Ok.

Glad to see some folks are psyched to talk, and my apologies to those who think my presence is a bummer. My only reason for joining the conversation was to address the rumors and criticisms that relate to me personally. I'm here as me, not as a representative of the park service.

Chad, sounds like you had a bad experience with some NPS rangers. I wasn't involved, and like I said in my previous post: I've never had anything to do with base jumping (at least until now). I completely understand if you don't want to have anything to do with me. No worries, I don't take it personally. That being said, for you to tell the world I'm a loser simply because I work for the National Park Service is on par with me disliking someone simply because they're a base jumper. I don't have anything against your sport, and I'll judge you for who you are, not for what stereotype you might fit into.

David, I honestly don't know enough about BASE jumping to have an opinion just yet, so what I said before is true: I'm impressed by some of the stunts you guys (and girls) pull off. That's pretty much it. As for whether of not it should be legal in Yosemite, there's obviously lots of baggage around the issue... everyone seems to be operating on stereotypes from years past... referencing incidents from before my time. I'd rather make up my own opinion based on the issues and people of today. Some of what I've read on this forum makes me think there's hope for BASE jumping to someday be condoned on public lands, and some of what I've read makes me think that possibility is a long way off.

I'm not here to open a big debate, and I don't plan on defending or criticizing the current NPS policy. As I've learned in the past, people have trouble separating what I say as an individual from what I say as representative of the National Park Service, so for now I'll just keep learning about your sport and reserve judgment on the "future of BASE jumping in Yosemite."

As for whether or not one conversation between a seasonal ranger and some base jumpers will make an ounce of difference in the long run... I'd like to think it could; you have to start somewhere. Regardless, at least it's interesting.

Cheers,
-Link

I'm impressed by some of the stunts you guys (and girls) pull off.

A question for anyone who knows:

- How many climbing rangers are on staff in Yosemite in the fall season?

A statement for Link:

- They're not stunts.

Lou,

My apologies, I meant nothing derogatory by the use of the word "stunt." Perhaps "feats" would be a better word, or just "jumps." As for the climbing ranger question, there are many rangers in Yosemite who climb, and many who are involved in climbing issues (rescue, education, enforcement, etc), but for the last handful of years I've been the only one who's job concentrates mainly on climbing issues. I guess that means I'm the only "climbing ranger," at least in semantically speaking. Also, just to clarify, I'm not in that position currently. I've always been a seasonal employee (summer only), though for the first time I'm staying in Yosemite this winter to do video production work for the park (nothing to do with climbing, base jumping, or law enforcement).

Cheers,
-Link

...I think it's a point in BASE history worth remembering.

January 16th...

The birthday of base kings Abbie and Collin.
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE