Calvin19

ROPE JUMPING MOAB!!!!

...was very supprised how small the system was: they used a ladder to jump into a mini tyrolean traverse which was rigged about 6 meters above the ground. is this a usual size for base-training-pendulators?

As far as I know, the pendulator in Lysebotn is the biggest one that is in regular use. The ones I've built have all been smaller.

You don't really need very much freefall to evaluate a student's exit. With practice, you can tell in pretty much the first 2 feet if it's scary, just fine, or kind of in the middle. It's the scary ones that most need the pendulator. In my experience, that's about 1 student in 5, with 2 more being in the middle, so the pendulator is helpful, and the last 2 pretty much nailing the exit from the first try.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"Tom, how big is your pendulator?" I might be new to this thread, but that seems like something between Tom and his lady. I'm going out on a limb and saying i think mostwanted was wasted when he typed those words...
"It takes a big man to cry, it takes an even bigger man to make that big man cry"

a diveing board works fine, so only 10 feet is plenty.

ps-

FRASCA i think is the biggest and funnest.:D:D:D

JK, its just a fun jump. hell, the exit IS a BASE jump, with a lot more freefall.

we saw a lot of newbies that have NO freefall at all do a PERFECT 70 meter belly down exit and freefall.

Someone told me he had seen some amazing rope jumping done in a show at TV. It was calles "Masters of Stone". I searched this in Youtube.com, and got this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TokjJrMB9qs

There are some pretty spectacular jumps there. And one I believe is as high, or higher, than those you filmed in your movie. Pretty amazing.

Anyone of you knew this guy? Died in -98...
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

Thats one remarkable guy and some quite breathtaking free climbing as well as 'freefall' rope work...

Anyone of you knew this guy? Died in -98...

There is a regular poster here who was part of Dan's rope jumping crew back when he was in high school.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Holy shit, how many pieces of pro did he rip from the rock at 7:17??? :o:o:o

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I haven't watched the video, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, the answer is none. Dano did a full rope length whipper on one of those videos in which he ends up with an armlength of gear stacked up on his rope, because he cut most of the way through all the draws. When he jumped the remaining webbing snapped, and the rope end carabiners slid down to him, while the pro stayed in the rock. He then climbed the pitch and retrieved the gear.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Taking another look, yep i see what you mean.

:)
Those dyno's are awe inspiring when you consider he's free climbing it.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Dano was nothing if not awe inspiring. Doesn't anybody here remember Bridge Day West in '95? We spent 3 days doing rope, base, and bungee of the Auburn bridge. I often pull out the video. Amazing how many of the people who were there are now gone. RIP Dano.

Is that something you can share with us, who wasnt there?
A skydiver's famous last words:
- Hey! Hold my beer, and watch this...!
- If that guy can do it, so can I...!
- In 9 out of 10 this will work out just fine. Don't worry about it...!

...was very supprised how small the system was: they used a ladder to jump into a mini tyrolean traverse which was rigged about 6 meters above the ground. is this a usual size for base-training-pendulators?

As far as I know, the pendulator in Lysebotn is the biggest one that is in regular use. The ones I've built have all been smaller.

You don't really need very much freefall to evaluate a student's exit. With practice, you can tell in pretty much the first 2 feet if it's scary, just fine, or kind of in the middle. It's the scary ones that most need the pendulator. In my experience, that's about 1 student in 5, with 2 more being in the middle, so the pendulator is helpful, and the last 2 pretty much nailing the exit from the first try.

The cool thing about the pendulator in kjerag is that you can train for exit in pure tracking position..the pendulator is 9 or 10meters high..B|its not only for beginners..

Makes you appreciate it even more having some climbing experience doesn't it?! Having only a couple can be un-nerving but setting up a whole rope's worth!!!

Can't believe it's been so long.

jon

The cool thing about the pendulator in kjerag is that you can train for exit in pure tracking position..the pendulator is 9 or 10meters high..B|its not only for beginners..

ok, i then think it maybe was another pendulator i saw in that video. is there any video where the pendulator is shown? maybe on skydivingmovies.com? have you got some pictures of the pendulator in kjerag you could post here?

Thanks for sharing that link. There was a lot of video on there I hadn't seen. I knew Dan Osman was the man, but fuck! I got chills watching most of that. Greeny looked amazing.

Dan was the man, no questions asked.

Personally I'm so afraid of heights that I can barley watch it ...

There are great people out there, sometimes I dream of being one of them ... what a venture ... amazing

PerFlare

Hey Guys!

Here is the new official FRASCA II.3 at Walshmens Walk Collum.

I will post some more things, but i...

Hey, do you actively measure any of the loads being placed on the lines/anchors? Or do you just estimate?
Gravity Waits for No One.

ok, i then think it maybe was another pendulator i saw in that video. is there any video where the pendulator is shown? maybe on skydivingmovies.com? have you got some pictures of the pendulator in kjerag you could post here?

Sorry i dont have any pictures, but maybe the stavanger BASE crew have one they can share?
www.basekjerag.com
Here`s a little story from my FJC in kjerag:
I took this FJC a couple of years ago, and when i come to that part when we should practise the pendulator jump, mine instructor Elin(a lightweighted sweet girl)took a test jump before i did..Im very happy she didit before me.. because Elin almost impact ..(the rope who went from tree to tree wasn`t thight enought)if i hade made that jump(im 165lbs i dont know here`s weight but she`s much lighter than i am)i would have impact the ground from 9or10meters..
I could come on Nick`s list BEFORE i made my real BASEjump..:D

Hey Guys!

Here is the new official FRASCA II.3 at Walshmens Walk Collum.

I will post some more things, but i...

Hey, do you actively measure any of the loads being placed on the lines/anchors? Or do you just estimate?

I own a dynofor load cell, a german company (i stole it:))
it measures the force of whatever we put it on. so yeah, we actively measure. but for a long while we estimated. 'trial and error' mostly trial. only 1 error.

I own a dynofor load cell, a german company (i stole it:))
it measures the force of whatever we put it on. so yeah, we actively measure. but for a long while we estimated. 'trial and error' mostly trial. only 1 error.

Where do you place it and what sort of loads does it see? What safety factor are you using?
Gravity Waits for No One.