Calvin19

ROPE JUMPING MOAB!!!!

Hey Guys!

Here is the new official FRASCA II.3 at Walshmens Walk Collum.

I will post some more things, but i just wanted to get as many (Full Resolution!) pictures as i can. Anything from the Rope jump i want, B-role stuff and all.

Please Email full res shots to me, if there is more than a few, maybe send me a CD if it is not too much trouble?

My Email:
[email protected]

If you are sending a CD, My Address will be:

Matt Hecker
SINE Innovations
115 S. 34th st.
Boulder, Co 80305

and of course, any footy that i was not able to firewire, especialy the good stuff, i would love. I know it would be a pain, but a tape or a AVI file on cd will work great. I am throwing together a video of the week, all the stuff at the walk, and a few highlights elsewhere.

Please do this with Haste, i am already getting ancy to start editing and i need all the footy. PM me if you are sending, so i know how long to wait.

Also, I need a list of all the People who jumped our system, first names are fine but full is better. I just want it all in the credits.

Alex and I just finished the De-rig (untangling ropes at home) started at 9am today. (ugg, i didnt sleep much last night[:/] sigh...), 5 hours of rope stuffing, untieing, cleaning, and organising. we looked over all the system, the stress points we usualy find damage. All looked well. the only thing we noticed was a core shot on the reserve line at the knot on the jumpers side from somebody forgeting to clear the reserve fully before rapping, we noticed it onsite, cut it, and retied it. Other than that the system had no squaks.

We measured the lines, (we do this to catalog the stretch over time and usage) the jumplines were normal, about 3 percent longer than before they were ever weighted. The tyroleans had no noticable change after we let them recover on the long ride home.

FRASCA II.3 took 8 hours of pre-rigging(Alex and I) it took 5.5hours to rig onsight (Alex, Nic, me, kevin, Nicholas, Kevin2) The system was up for 2 half days and 2 full days of jumping. it took 119 jumps in that time. it took 10 people less than an hour to tear down and stuff in the car (special thanks to the Last load and teardown crew, the Canadians.;))

As for everyone who jumped, Im glad it all went well. Only 1 jump mishap, a jumpline wrap that cleared itself violently (they tend to do that on rope jumps:D) I really want footy of that if anyone has it.

Sadly, I think that was our last system at Walshmens Walk. We have outgrown that sight. We have gone much bigger, but not with such a reliable, repeateble system. We will return, as usual, with bigger dreams and longer falls. We need a new sight, over 130 meters at least.

I was impressed with the level of maturity (did -I- just say that out loud?) that the people who jumped our system approached it with. everybody who jumped understood that it was not a amusment park ride, and every bit as dangerouse as a BASE jump with different risks. In NO way do we guarentee our system, but we obviously fealt comfortable enough letting 33 first time "deathcampers" huck it.

One thing i noticed was the difference between BASE jumpers and Climbers, about equal amounts of the two tried the jump, and the climbers were obviously much more technicaly prepared for the system, but they also took the Hit (the rope catch) much better, they knew what rope falls were like and carried that over. While BASE jumpers had better Exit performance and free fall position, they were surprised by the way the rope suspended them. this is to be expected, naturaly. It was strange to see, how relaxed a BASE jumper is with GOING IN ground rush,

And as usual, PLEASE, dont try this at home. Better men than me and my crew have died screwing this stuff up. IT IS NOT SIMPLE. It took us 5 years to get comfortable enough to build this system and let our brothers and sisters try it on. If you really want to start this, come along on a full system. Scouting to measuring, designing to prerigging, the first onsight tests, and finaly a jumpable system. You will probably change your mind.

Start with bridge jumps, have us or somebody who knows what they are doing take you. (you guys know who you are:ph34r:) Tyrolean Systems are by far the most dangerous and complex.

anyway, hope everybody is well, glad MOAB was MOAB, because it always is.

I included some of my favorite pictures, enjoy!

Cheers!

and I love you all. *sigh...

Matt,
Excellent time indeed. I was incredibly impressed hearing what you guys have done over the years that lead you to this system. The rigging on this is SOLID and I was happy to huck without reservation. The groundrush is INSANE and I can't wait to jump another system. I'm happy to help out in whatever way necessary, too. Cya back in CO soon.
-C.

Great pics, but I totally don't understand this.:S

Is there a video I could download to see exit to end?
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk

Great pics, but I totally don't understand this.:S

Is there a video I could download to see exit to end?

Moad Rope Swing

Link to The Moab Chronicles

.;)
Daniel
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones
Tasers - Pepper Spray - Stun Guns and more!
www.dallassecuritysupply.com

Hey Matt

massive thanks to you and your crew for sharing this!

you guys really hooked us up, Brad is definitely addicted now, Sparky couldn't stop talking about the rope jumps and I still can't decide if the rope jump or the base jump from the Tyrolean was the bigger rush... :D

it was a pleasure to meet you all and to be able to give a little back by helping pack up.

PM sent with names.

cya
sam

Edited to add: one of the most awesome things was seeing Andrew and Jimmy (the climbers from Canada, who I met when we climbed Castleton Tower the same day as them) do their first rope jumps, so true what you said about climbers and basejumpers, I hope I exhited some of my neglected climbing experience...

Guys the rope jumps were sick that was the first time i had even even seen this and you guys letme get three in the groundrush was quite outstanding. I went to moab with a basejumping addiction and came back with a ropejumping addiction you guys rock i would love to come out and scout a site and learn how to do the set up.
can't thank you enough
B.rad
(Canadian last load)

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for sharing your system. The setup is fabulous, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the work that went into designing it and setting it up. Three days later, I still think about the jump pretty much every time I close my eyes.

Michael Cooper
(a happy rope jumper)

Wow, that was amazing. :o Just when I think I have done everything I want to do you have to post something like that. :P

Greenie in training.

Hey guys!

Thanks so much for sharing your system. The setup is fabulous, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the work that went into designing it and setting it up. Three days later, I still think about the jump pretty much every time I close my eyes.

Ditto... well said. Thanks so much for letting me play on your ropes. The 2 jumps I got were amazing!!
Thanks again!!
Jen
(the girl :P)
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Oh Yeah! we need to share the best quotes of the week, my memories...

"MATT! what are you doing?"-jesse
"I dono man, just film it"-Matt

"heres to smokin' it low..."- sparky

"I kinda wish i hadn't done a gainer..."- After a Jumpline wrap between the legs. ouch.

"The wind is coming in waves, it will be gone in 2 minutes!"- sparky

"heres to smokin' it low..."- sparky

hehehe... it was 'here's to smokin' it down" hehehe... I came up with that :PB|

:D:D it was a fun weekend!
Jen
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

do you share your rigging-know-how?

i only rope-jumped a 30 meter high bridge (with 20 meter of rope to swing) near my hometown severel times but now found 2 almost 100 meter high spans which both allow something like a 60-meter-rope-jump. this will be our project for next summer.

and then: maybe a tyrolean someday?

you guys would have the knowledge and experience to help others to prevent stupid avoidable mistakes on rigging a tyrolean-rope-jump-system, don't you?

would you share your rigging-know-how?

greetings from europe.

So I was down at "the Tomb" and the wind was not agreeing with us. "Damn", what to do now. So Sam, Sparky and a few guys say, "lets go to Walshmens and hang out.." I am thinking cool, no jumping, but that will be cool. I walk over there, and low and behold. The jumping shall commence... But with ropes. WOW!!! Couldn't believe what I was witnessing. I was just happy to watch something so amazing, muchless get to participate myself. I couldn't believe I actually tryed to pitch my PC on exit. hahaha!! the ground rush was so amazing!! Found my new addiction. Thankyou to Matt, Nic, and Kevin for being so generous, and sharing your system with some winded out jumpers. You made my day/year!!! Keep doing what you are doing! you rock!

depends on the Exit point.
210 to impact is lowest
240 to impact at west exit
260ish to the bottem of the landing (creek)

Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for the great time. Wish I could have been there the last morning for one more jump and help with the tear down, buuuuutttttt i was a little hungover and tired from being in jail the entire night before B|....note to self...don't get to crazy abusing the rental car...but thanks again and hope to meet up with you guys again soon.
-BK-

I was wondering how often you guys go out to Moab.. I've never heard of rope jumping until i saw the Moab video. It looks like it would be amazing. I would love to try it!
Nathan

Usualy 3 times a year. we are planning for early/mid April. but a new system is in the works and bigger (double) is the goal. i

not yet, if we put up FRASCA again, then of course. but it will take us awhile to get confident on anew system. especialy a tyrolean rig in moab. Frasca was 2 years old, with about a thousand jumps on it.

if we put up FRASCA again...

How'd you come up with that name? Is there a meaning behind it? An acronym for something?