shaggio

Life Magazine picture of the week

So, I open up the paper yesterday and I see a ROCKING picture of an exit at bridge day as the picture of the week. Dont know who it is, but congrats!!

The small paragraph article did surprise me however. A little burb on what base jumping is and then a quote by Jason Bell

" I'm watching the ground rush up and looking for where I will impact if my chute doesnt open"

Jason, I really hope this was a miss-quote. Maybe I am missing something here but when trying to legalize something why would you sensationalize that?

Any comments?

Shaggio "confused" Rodriguez

I cannot believe you did not scan that photo in and post it.

We all want to see now.

Kenyon
www.triaxproductions.com

Ya dude. Don't tell us it's rockin and not show us.

Misquote or not, it's still better then "the strange eroticism of death." :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

The problem with those little quote blurbs is that you often end up talking to the reporter for a long time, and then they draw out one little part of a sentence, and potentially use it out of (the usually much larger) context. I've seen 45 minute talks get reduced down to one sentence that sounded cool (and sensational) to the reporter.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The problem with those little quote blurbs is that you often end up talking to the reporter for a long time, and then they draw out one little part of a sentence, and potentially use it out of (the usually much larger) context. I've seen 45 minute talks get reduced down to one sentence that sounded cool (and sensational) to the reporter.

Rather than "often," it's "most of the time." I've rarely seen an article that didn't make the even the smartest people I know look a little stupid. And even if I (and everyone who knows them) understand they didn't say it the way it was written, it's still out there for public consumption.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

if you can't scan the picture, could you at least tell us what it looked like? What type of exit, what the jumper was wearing, yada yada....
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Okay, I've discovered what's wrong with the world.

Life Magazine has gotten smaller and TV Guide has grown larger . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

It's not a mis-quote, because that's pretty much what goes through my mind when I jump. And Bridge Day is already legal....

However, the media loves to extract certain parts of conversations and headline them. Sometimes, that's the price we pay for simply opening our mouths.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

priceless...it really has too.[:/]
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

i really know nothing about BASE jumping but i saw the picture and pulled it out of the magazine... i don't have a scanner but i can try and describe it to you as best as i can...

its some guy in the middle of a forward flip.. they caught him right as he's facing the camera... gray suit red rig... and then behind him and below him there are a bunch of trees and the river flowing between them... it's definitely a money shot... if i can find a scanner i'll put it up for you guys

but anyway whoever it is jumping congrats :)
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

here
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Nice shot... but WTF is sticking out of his rig between his leg strap and PC? It isn't a bight of bridle, is it? WTF?
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

I just read the caption and am very disappointed in the writer's comments. Even though it was LIFE magazine, I made sure they got the facts right - including me correcting them that BASE is only illegal in a few places in the USA. Their fact checker apparently didn't care what I had to say. And this was not the article that they read back to me before it went to press. Sounds like someone else "spiced" it up a bit before it printed.

I guess you really can't trust ANY media unless you are the one printing the magazines or distributing the DVD's.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

No, I learned that 40 years ago. Next time it will be name, rank and serial number.

Does anyone know who the jumper is?
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

I call " Nugget"!
take care,
space

Yikes, it is George Bush . . .

And I'll guess at what the trailing black thing is.

It's a strap off a stash bag that's in the pouch on the rig's backpad.

Suppose he had reached back and deployed his stash bag. Even a quick sideways glance might look like a pilot chute going away. Even if it registered as a hard pull, would any of us have figured that one out in time?

Wouldn't it feel entirely different to the fat end of a pilot chute though?

As a WS'er, I'm acutely aware of what the hacky feels like, incase I grab wing/grippers.

Edited to add:

I just realised the jumper has about a nano second to register this. Not the millenium I have in a WS.:S
Lee _______________________________

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, is that not crazy?
http://www.ukskydiver.co.uk