flydive

1-pin Prism 2 advice wanted...

Don't know anything about single-pin Prisms... can anybody fill me in on the pro's and con's, packing differences and gotchas compared to a standard 2-pin rig? I've got a used Prism 2 to demo soon, but want some opinions and advice from the fine folks just itching to share their knowledge in this forum.

Thanks,
Richard

I own 2 Prisms, a standard original Prism and a Prism "1.5" or "JJ Mod."

It is my personal opinion that the JJ Mod Prism is the best BASE rig ever built. I love that rig.

That said, I am not a fan of the Prism 2. I'm really hoping the Apex SP is more like the original than the later generation.

Pros:

Easier to keep from twisting the pack job than any of the 2 pin rigs I've packed (because of the shape and order of the flaps).

Pin protection is good, and is in the right orientation for high speed airflow in wingsuit flights.

1 pin makes bridle routing a little simpler, in my opinion.

The pin tension varies less with body position than the bottom pin on a 2 pin rig (which makes the Prism marginally better for aerials, in my opinion, in case you pitch in a tuck).

Cons:

Dynamic corners don't work all that well, because of the shape/direction of pull of the flaps.

Some Prisms were manufactured with a velcro bridle keeper on the bottom flap. I don't like it because it doesn't shrivel, and think the later tuck-flap style keeper was a big improvement.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Are dynamic corners the only feature on the Prism 2 you don't care for, or are there other things that you're not so hot about?

Richard

Iand a Prism "1.5" or "JJ Mod."

It is my personal opinion that the JJ Mod Prism is the best BASE rig ever built. I love that rig.

???

Can you describe that?

Fabien
BASE#944