321Cya

LAST WARNING: STOP LITTERING!

Hi All,

I know that the stuff I`m about to write is nothing new, but has to be said once more.

This morning I was travelling on the train in the Swiss Valley together with a small group of jumpers. When the ticket controller checked our tickets he noticed that some of us were Swiss and that`s when he asked us a moment of our time to express his concern (he obviously didn`t speak english very well and never told the following to other, foreign jumpers).
He said he is a member of the local moutaineering club and that lately they start to see more and more littering in the Valley on the trail inspections. Not only on the tracks and the exit points, but even on the bottom of the cliffs! They know exactly where we jump and that this litter can not be linked to regular tourists!

Last week we had awesome weather and it was therefor very busy in the Valley. This is great ofcourse and it looks like most of us are taking the small self-regulatory rules into consideration. Things like not jumping the certain cliff at the moment, calling the Air Glaciers Heli rescue guys etc. But it doesn`t stop there. We are very clearly NOT doing very well in non-littering `rule`. The regular tourists are doing way better then us guys! Something NOT to be proud of.

Two days ago, just after the majority of the jumpers had left again, two of my mates and fellow jumpers came over to the Valley and I showed them the place behind the Horner Pub (this is the place where most jumpers pack and hang out!). It was litterally TRASHED. Shit all over the place. It was a f**king discrace. My mates then got a garbage bag (Available FOR FREE at the Pub!) and started taking matters in own hand. Eventhough that`s great and shows their initiative, they shouldn`t have to clean up after other guys.

I`m personally very fortunate to have this beautiful place as my local spot and I know that everybody who visits and jumps the place loves it. We all know that the situation is fragile here. The locals accepted us, but that doesn`t mean they would mind if the jumping here stops. Many of your fellow jumpers have put a lot of work and effort in it to have it and keep it this way. We should be greatful for that and realize this more. It means that we all have to give a little contribution to this `cause`. Taking down your empty bottle or cigarette butt, or even pick up one that has been left behind. It`s no effort really and can make a huge difference for the future of jumping in this place. The fact that a ticket controller asks us to spread this concern throughout our community says enough.

YOU ARE A GUEST THERE, SO BEHAVE LIKE ONE!

PS1: Tom, could you please make this sticky for a while?
PS2: Could you guys please `copy and paste` this and/or write your own version on other forums around the globe!!! Cheers.

The fact that a ticket controller asks us to spread this concern throughout our community says enough.

it doesn't "say enough" it's an alarm bell... >:(

I want to jump sometime in the valley. I want to be a guest there. I don't want to be considered as a disrespectful polluter. :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I would like add that this ofcourse counts for ANY site worldwide!

Whatever you do in your own home is YOUR business, but whenever you are in public places/areas, the mountains, a city, the beach etc. CLEAN UP after yourself!

Thanks...

Damn straight!! I want to jump swiss valley in the future so ya'll need to clean up your shit!

Don't ruin it for the rest of us!!!>:( Edited to add: And the locals!

The valley is my favorite place in the world after SF, it would break my heart if I couldn't go back.[:/]
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Unfortunately, most people that litter don't understand the basic motivation against it. Worse so, they can rarely be taught this logic.

There are only three things you can do:

1. Make sure there are more garbage bins along trails near packing areas and at exit points. The question who shall empty them is a debate between local jumpers and law enforcement. Most likely the local jumpers will have to become responsible for emptying the exit-point bins, but such is the price we pay for a cleaner environment.

2. If you see somebody litter, say something about it. Point it out to them, then pick it up yourself and throw it in a bin or take it with you. By just commenting and picking it up yourself instead of asking them to pick it up, you've just created an embarrassing situation for them by showing that you are in fact grown up enough to deal with litter.

3. Several times a year, do a clean-the-trails day. Our local climbing access society does a volunteering day every now and then where anybody can join and help out cleaning up trails and doing basic maintainance and repairs on the trails (often nearby stairs, ropes or creek crossings). Not only does this improve the quality of the trails (littering becomes exponentially easier with the amount that is already there. If the trail is clean, it'll stay clean longer too.), it also helps create a more positive image for BASE if you can get word out that jumpers were involved in the trail improvement program.

Unfortunately, littering is one of those problems that is hard to fix. I've yet to meet a person that litters and converts to an environmentalist after a lecture.

It sucks, but in this case we'll just have to put in some extra effort to make up for those who litter. And occasionally, just try and see it from a positive angle; I recently found two empty beer cans at an exit point (makes you wonder, doesn't it). I took them down with me, showed them to my groundcrew after landing, and told them they were mine and drank them to muster up the courage to jump... ;)

Make sure there are more garbage bins along trails near packing areas and at exit points.

In my opinion, garbage cans at the exits in that Valley would be extremely incongruous, and not in keeping with the environment. The exit points are not along established walking trails or anything, and pretty much exist in their natural states. Adding "improvements" like garbage cans would probably be more negative than positive.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Good information at this site: http://www.lnt.org/main.html

Tom, maybe we can get the ABP to fund/run an LNT seminar next May in Twin?

Tom Dancs

In my opinion, garbage cans at the exits in that Valley would be extremely incongruous, and not in keeping with the environment. The exit points are not along established walking trails or anything, and pretty much exist in their natural states. Adding "improvements" like garbage cans would probably be more negative than positive.

I may agree. There is the added disadvantage of people that would otherwise take their litter with them, will now leave it at the exit point since there is a garbage bin anyway.

However, in this case the choice might be between litter on the ground all around the exit point, or centered in a single plastic bag inside of a metal bin. The latter seems more favourable, though I agree that it's still dissapointing that it's necessary.

maybe we can get the ABP to fund/run an LNT seminar next May in Twin?

While I'm sure an LNT seminar could teach me a few things about efficient disposal of waste and setting up camp on the right type of bottom, I don't think being respectful of our environment is rocket science.

These seminars are great, but they end up teaching those people that already have the right attitude towards nature.

The person that throws an empty Coke can to the side of a trail on his way to an exit point can visit a thousand seminars, but his ways won't change. It doesn't take many brain cells to realize that Coke can is gonna be there for a long time, harm the environment and make for a less appealling time in the outdoors. He'll never understand.

Ahhh - such is the nature of our sport. There are those that will be in it for a long while. They generally tend to respect the sport, the people, AND THE THING THAT ACTUALLY GIVES THEM THE OPPORTUNITY IN THE FIRST PLACE - THE ENVIRONMENT.

Then there is the growing number of lazy, 3 second attention span, selfish, me - me - me, doing front loops on jump 9, Nike - Just Do It, Red Bull, who cares what we are robbing our children of (hopefully they wont breed), helicopter boogie / don't hike, arseholes, who have only one thing on their minds, themselves.

There should be no training, bins, seminars, etc. These people are idiots who deserve to have their risers cut (but this will create more trash). Given that this may be construed as murder, the next best option is to just bore it right up them if you see them doing it. Don't be apologetic about it either. They are visitors to mother nature, and they should respect her like the wonderful lady she is.

The Swiss Valley is a postcard made from heaven. I fully support the plea for cleanliness.

p.s. I saw this one a while ago - city folk driving in the country. Dumped a bunch of trash bags onto a farm. The farmer happened to get the number plate. One of his family members was on the Police so he was able to get the address. He promptly drove a truck load of rubbish and manure to the offenders place and. . . . . . . . . actually dumped most of it INSIDE his house. :)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

PS2: Could you guys please `copy and paste` this and/or write your own version on other forums around the globe!!! Cheers.

I will put this onto the german base association website right now.
Littering is showing a no-respect-attitude to everyone in our sport and to the guys around us (such as owner of landing fields and hotels, etc.).

´nough said
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

(hopefully they wont breed),

yes they always seem to breed.....:(

As Carlos Mencia said, " there are to many idiots in this world because there is know one here to eat them"......

Make sense...we keep trying to save everyone instead of darwin taking the Freakein morons...

people who litter and do as described are Fuc*&King Loosers..... no doubt about it....

but easy there...no need to cut the risers...just a little nudge when they have there rig in there stash bag at exit point would work....B|

All in fun......

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Obviously I was just joking about the risers. ;) That was just grandstanding!!!

But I still think that. . . . . . .
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

First of all: Tom, thanks a lot for making this sticky!

There should be no training, bins, seminars, etc.

I totally agree. It as easy as using some common sense by everybody. Before you jump sqeeze empty bottles underneath your jacket, put cigarette butts back in your packet, etc. The valley is far from a remote place, just 5 mins from most landing areas you`ll find bins.

Isn`t it one of the first things we learn as kids? To clean up your shit (Re: toys)!

Then there is the parking area behind the Horner Pub. We use it and obviously and unfortunately `abuse` it too! This place was never meant as a packing area, it became it, and we should be more than thankful to have this place. Respect it, don`t trash it! There`s a large garbage container behind the Pub and when you don`t see it you can always leave your garbage with the girls behind the bar. They`ll be happy to bin it for you. It is as easy as that!

As said before in this thread, whenever you see somebody litter tell the person. Make those people aware and maybe one day they`ll learn...

www.vandrunen.ch