DexterBase

Best BASE jumping boots

I need to get another set of boots. Please vote on your favorite BASE boot and if you mark other, please include what boot you prefer.

If you can, give a supplier for your favorite boot.

Thanks everyone. C-ya!

I voted for Hanwags but am bias because I have no information/experience concerning crispi or others.

I would like to find out more people's opinions about the comparisons between the two, especially those who've had them both!

After a lot of hiking and subsequent BASE and Ground launching I have an ultimate respect for the hanwags!! this is what I use, they are light, sturdy and clean (in terms of snag points.) got them from apex (my second pair)

I would bet that the vast majority of the people answering this poll haven't actually tried more than one kind of boot for jumping. Which means that it's really a poll that ought to have been worded "which jumping boots do you use/own?"

Has anyone posting here actually owned and used for a noticeable length of time two or more different brands of boots?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Anyone know where Crispi boots can be purchased? I'm thinking I'll probably just end up getting a pair of Hanwags when I'm in Moab in a couple weeks.

You are right in my choice in boots. I have only used Hanwags (vs other high end ankle supporting boots) in parachute operations. However I think that their dominance in the paragliding market may give some insight to their BASE application. But it really doesnt matter, just wear Teva's ;):S

i choose hiking boots as they:
dont weigh that musch
dont look like a person want to climb a mountain in the summer down town
they give better support than regular shoos
they aint so expencevi as Hanwags,so i wont be so sad as i break my leg anyway and they need to cut my boots off

:P

by the way the boots i use right now is a pair of DM´s that i got cheap in a shooe shop near a rather famus brigde near Tom´s house:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Anyone know where Crispi boots can be purchased?

I think Apex had some Crispi's at Bridge day. They may be selling them now.

Matt Davies

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Crispi boots fit a little wider than the Hanwags. I bought a size 13 Crispi and found them to be very comfortable for even the long hikes in Norway.
If you have any questions on where to buy them contact Crispi.
http://www.crispi.it/home_uk.php

Crispi's have a wide fit compared with most shoes generally.

I have pretty wide feet. Crispi's fit well, and are very comfortable. I haven't yet tried Hanwags for longer than about 5 minutes (no hiking, no jumping, just walking around in a parking lot). I think the Hanwags are a little narrower.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

These are my regular BASE, hiking, scrambling, backpacking and everyday boots. Comfy, good support and not too expensive.
http://www.raichle.ch/raichle/katalog.asp?view=detail&did=64&dart=4&tid=3480&sid=2

When the landing area is pure shite and full of rocks and other nasty things I bust out these bad boys. http://www.koflach.com/products.html go to this page and select "Degre" boot. They are ultra comfy even on long hikes and provide excellent protection all around. The downside to both of these is the need to tape up the hooks! I know the Hanwags don't have hooks on them which is a minor advantage.
SabreDave

There is an urban angle to boots. Some buildings have steel staircases and in the dead of night even a single jumper can sound like Frankenstein clanking and banging up the stairs. In the old days, when no one used boots, our aptly named sneakers, or tennis shoes, made it a non-issue. The answer of course is by all means wear your boots, but always have a cheap pair of slip on rubbers (galoshes?) in your kitbag to deaden your footfalls . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Anybody know where I can score some of these?
http://www.crispi.it/prodotto_uk.php

Go to paragliding, then Paratec GTX

Edit: Okay, I just got off the phone with these guys:
AIR CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE, INC.
2800 TORREY PINES SCENIC DRIVE
92037 LA JOLLA, CA
CALIFORNIA
tel. +1 858 452 9858

(west coast Crispi distributor)

Apparently, Crispis come in three basic models for paragliders. The Pegasus GTX is the bottom of the line. One step up would be the Paratec GTX ($199). The Top of the line model is the Airborne GTX ($245).

I told the person on the phone what I would be using the boots for and that my requirements may be slightly different than for a paraglider pilot.

The person I spoke to said the Airborne was slightly more durable than the Hanwag boot. His Hanwag boots did last four years or so though.

He sells both Crispi and Hanwag so it's likely there's no real conflict of interest and I think he's giving straight information.

He said one benefit of the Crispi boot over Hanwag is that the stiffener can be disengaged for hiking and then re-engaged when you need the full support of the boot.

The Crispis are also a few ounces lighter than the Hanwags

These are sounding pretty good.

He said one benefit of the Crispi boot over Hanwag is that the stiffener can be disengaged for hiking and then re-engaged when you need the full support of the boot.

I used to pop the ankle support in and out (it takes about 2 seconds) for hiking/jumping. It's gotten so that I've just left it out for the last year or two, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Crispi boots fit a little wider than the Hanwags.

This is worth repeating...not so much because it's a comparison between Crispi or Hanwags, but because the underlying message is 'fit'.

I jump La Sportiva Glaciers. They're essentially the Makalus without Gore-Tex and without the crampon compatible outsole. I got them because they provide the protection I'm looking for and because of how well they fit my feet. I've owned a few pair of La Sportivas, Scarpas and Crispis over the years, so I know each of these will work. I had a pair of Asolos, on the other hand, which were a great boot, but didn't really fit my feet as well as these others.

The only thing I'd change about my Glaciers is the hardware at the top of the ankle. They're standard hooks. I've just been covering them up for now, but I'd like to replace them with eyelets like on Hanwags for a much lower snag potential.

-C.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Crispi boots fit a little wider than the Hanwags.

I've read the exact opposite on two paraglider forums.

Well, I was quoting WillH, but again, for the emphasis on 'fit'. I can't be sure of the actual difference between Hanwags and Crispis. I can say that my Crispis fit quite nicely, and I don't have wide feet.

As for fitting, have you ever been to a specialized running store? They'll ask you a series of questions, put you on a treadmill to video and analyze your stride and like magic, come up with the pair that's best for you. You might find that in some very specialized hiking shops, but even if you don't...it's the approach to choosing the right pair of boots that could decide how well you like that next new pair of boots. The only way to be sure how well they fit you is to see how well they fit you.
-C.

Edit: spelling

Yeah, there's a store around here that puts you on a treadmill and shoots video of your stride so they can determine your running style and fit your shoes accordingly. Maybe I'll take in some BASE footage and they can tell me what boots to get.

Seriously, I'm about 10 minutes of internet research away from ordering a pair of Crispis.

Seriously, I'm about 10 minutes of internet research away from ordering a pair of Crispis.

Internet!?!? Dude...you've got the Mothership of REI's in town! Go down there, check 'em out first-hand and then order if you find 'em cheaper online.

Edit: Doh! A quick search on rei.com shows that they no longer carry Crispis.
-C.

REI doesn't carry Crispi paraglider boots. I've seen everything they have and all models are coming up short of my requirements.

(That's even considering that I get a heavy discount there;))

(That's even considering that I get a heavy discount there)

Yeah...I'd kind of forgotten about that. Too bad they don't carry Crispi at all anymore...did someone say "Pro Deal"? ;)

-C.