medusa

BASE Soft Links?

I was wondering.
Can we use Reserve Soft links in owr BASE gear??

I think It will be a good way to keep less hardware in owr gear, pluss you don't have to horrie if it become lose.B|

I'm new to the BASE World. So if im wrong try not to hit me, as hard as you guys usually do!;)

thanks
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

I think the only reason to use these would be on a smuggler rig, in the case that you're worried about metal detectors.

Otherwise, I don't see the point, with changing configs from S/U or S/D, as well as the risk of the slider dislodging a toggle because it doesn't have the rapide link/bumper to stop it.

Just my $.02.
-C.

Otherwise, I don't see the point, with changing configs from S/U or S/D, as well as the risk of the slider dislodging a toggle because it doesn't have the rapide link/bumper to stop it.

Exactly my thoughts.

But they do have Slider Stopers, Is a peace of Black Fabric that act exacly the same as the Suber stopers
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

I know a couple experienced jumpers who've used them for years without incident.

Personally, I think I'd only use them on a dedicated slider off rig.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I second Tom. Although a big fan of slinks for mains and reserves in skydiving, I do not use them in BASE unless, as said, I had a dedicated slider removed rig which I don't. I make my own ones for main canopies and I would not hesitate using them for BASE.
Memento Audere Semper

I don't see the point.

Except that I'm almost positive that a Reserve soft link is quite a bit stronger than a Rapide Link.

Soft links don't take that much longer to put on/off...it's just a matter of doing it a lot.

pope

I think soft links are easier to remove and replace.
I've thought about using them on my base gear, but I would like to have some sort of bumpers for the slider.

Except that I'm almost positive that a Reserve soft link is quite a bit stronger than a Rapide Link.

I'm not sure about full strength, but I'd bet that a soft link is stronger than a crossloaded rapide link for sure. And cross loading doesn't really appear to be an issue with soft links.

Not that I've seen a lot of crossloaded links in BASE, but what's the old saying about planning for the worst?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm not sure about full strength, but I'd bet that a soft link is stronger than a crossloaded rapide link for sure. And cross loading doesn't really appear to be an issue with soft links.

Not that I've seen a lot of crossloaded links in BASE, but what's the old saying about planning for the worst?

From PD's Website:

"In our tests, the Performance Design's Slink© survived at loadings beyond the suspension lines and/or riser! In our testing, the failure point of the system was repeatedly the suspension lines or the webbing attaching the three rings to the riser. In comparison tests, the PD reserve soft link survived tests that caused failures and/or severe damage to #4 and #5 stainless steel links! The PD Soft links not only survived these tests, but showed no signs of damage.
"

May we live long and die out

I've thought about using them on my base gear, but I would like to have some sort of bumpers for the slider.

If you buy a set of regular PD soft-links, they come with 'hats' that, if installed, act as slider bumpers. Assuming, that is, that the grommets in a BASE slider are not significantly larger than on a skydiving canopy.

I've got 4 sets of slinks on 4 different rigs. 2 of the sets each have over 400 jumps between them. while the the other 2 only have about 50 or so. I don't have any bumpers on them, and have never have the slider come down past them on the riser. A loaded type 8 riser is stiff enough under load to stop them from doing that. About 200 of those jumps were at terminal velocity with no isssues. My original set has outlasted a set of lines and risers and still looks brand new. They are far stronger than metal links and once installed, they are virtually maintainence free. I've seen a slider bumper come off a metal link and slide up the lines, where it choked of the slider and resulted in a reserve ride. Luckly it was in a skydiving enviorment. No worries with that with slinks. Once less link in the death chain. I also tie my slider down for low stuff, since it's faster, less chance of a rigging errors and offers the safety net of having a crosslink should one riser release. It's a great KISS system, and I won't ever go back to metal links and bumpers and wrenches and quarter turns and all that crap:ph34r:

If you buy a set of regular PD soft-links, they come with 'hats' that, if installed, act as slider bumpers. Assuming, that is, that the grommets in a BASE slider are not significantly larger than on a skydiving canopy.

The slider stops don't fit standard risers, only mini-risers. You don't need slider stops for standard risers. If you really wanted them, making them out of type-12 works very well. I've made them for tandem rigs to prevent the rapide links from getting side-loaded.

Slinks are stronger than Rapide links, can't get side loaded, don't loosen over time, can't be over-torqued, and don't require a wrench, torque mark or lock-tite. The only thing you have to be careful of is damaged slider grommets (from rapide links) cutting the Slink.

Derek

You don't need slider stops for standard risers.

I agree I can't see the slider come down the standard size risers and knocking a toggle lose, only on mini risers would I see that being a problem. So why only use them on a dedicated slider off rig?Any other problems with using them?

Jason Walburn
Jason Walburn

Just to clairfy, about above post that I wrote. I am using the Reserve slinks, not the normal smaller ones.

I agree I can't see the slider come down the standard size risers and knocking a toggle lose...

I agree. But that's not the problem. The issue is whether the slider grommet might get low enough to trap the toggle stub, and essentially jam a toggle.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com