base704

Will a kitten survive a free-fall-assist from 320' with a 46" p/c?

This thread is the funniest thing Ive read in ages.
I cant do much of anything at the moment due to a broken ankle.

Thanks for a break in the boredem :)

I care about kittens, but as a fan of meat, I'm not the one to judge how other people treat animals.

Hello,
There is a difference between judge and care.
I think you, and everyone, should care about the treatment of animals.
How a person treats animals will be indicative of how they treat people.
How an animal is treated during its life, before you eat it, is important.
Please treat every living thing with love and dignity.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

I think you, and everyone, should care about the treatment of animals.

I was vegan for two years, and vegetarian for ten. If it wasn't for a certain tri-tip offered to me after an unplanned long delay, I would probably still be vegetarian. These days, I still prefer the vegetarian dish over meat.

That's not to argue that I care about animals per se, but to show that I am very familiar with the debate on ethical treatment on animals. I've seen and been on every side of that argument and if I was anything like the self-righteous dick I was in my vegan years I would have personally attacked the crap out of the original poster.

If one of my friends wanted to PCA a kitten, I would politely but forcefully ask he'd not do it. If he would persist, I would leave the scene and reconsider my friendship.

That said, I don't think PCAing a kitten harms it more than we harm most animals on their way to our stomach. To worry more about a kitten that is PCAd than about the pork on our plate tells me said person has never visited a modern industrial strength farm and slaughterhouse. It is indicative of our society today to worry more about cute little kittens than about the meat on our plate.

Aw shucks...

I tried to avoid it, but now I'm inevitably drawn into an ethical debate. My original comment was to avoid this since it is not what these forums are for.

I think you and I equally care about the kitten, and equally love the meat on our plate. Today, I'm comfortable acknowledging I'm a complete hypocrite for being so. It doesn't make me a better person, but I've found that self-rightenousnes veganism doesn't lead to higher moral standards either.

Meanwhile, BASE 704 is laughing his ass of because he managed to drag my ass out and make me write this long post.

Oh well. Rightfully so, you deserve it 704... :D

I feel sorry for the elephant!

One time I was over the rail, almost ready to go, Dantheman and Kole Shaker (the pachyderm) were jumping next. Kole's words of encouragement? 'I'll be OK but you are fucked.'. :D

I can't believe this thread lives while the awesome shot of me and my Beacon was sent to the trash bin along with other posts concerning it. >:(

PS. A 42 works just fine for a kitten. Pics will follow shortlyB|

May we live long and die out

i read here often but don't post... must say however that this thread has kept me in stitches. i've peed myself thrice already.

it's really something when even a greenie tells the nay-sayers to lighten up.

so I had a 30 # silver tabby for 16 years... what PC would he have needed? he was a docile Garfield-esque sort of creature, he wouldn't have minded a bit to be chucked off any sort of object... he probably would have fallen asleep on the ride down...

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I can't believe this thread lives while the awesome shot of me and my Beacon was sent to the trash bin along with other posts concerning it. >:(

Will Bartlett's Beacon survive a free-fall-assist from 320' with a 46" p/c?

***I think you and I equally care about the kitten, and equally love the meat on our plate.
Come on man do you really care?

for christ sakes, Please, think about the kittens.

whats the difference between a truck full of bowlingballs and truck full of dead babies?

you cant unload the bowlingballs with a pitchfork...

Cleatus, stop masturbating for a split second and get your ass up north, before it starts snowing.

It's all about peer pressure anyway;) I triple dog dare you to do it.

On the other hand...

Pot belly pigs, have better stability, but we used too small of a pc, and turned it into a flat belly pig.

Then we eat it bacon for breakfast the next day:D

I love animals... they're very tasty

It's all about peer pressure anywayWink I triple dog dare you to do it.

Come on... you're gonna have to do better than that! :D

Try aiming a camera at me next time. I have a tendency to try killing myself much harder when somebody points a camera at me. I guess it's not peer pressure, but camera pressure. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. Case in point, my first and last attempt at some inverted chaos during Bridge Day...

Actually this whole discussion is pointless. Cats don't need PC's to survive long freefalls:

If cats fall a larger distance such as two or more floors, even though they can right themselves, their legs and feet can no longer absorb all of the shock. Their heads may hit the ground and they often bruise their chin and may fracture some teeth. Falls of four or more floors cause the cat to hit the ground at maximum velocity and thus acquire a multitude of injuries including a ruptured diaphragm, torn liver, and fractured bones.

Interestingly, two veterinarians did a study (examining 132 cases of cats that had fallen out of high-rise windows) and found that in falls of seven stories or less, the chance of survival was indeed greater with the shorter distances. However, with falls greater than seven stories, the number of injuries actually declined when compared to falls at seven stories. So, beyond seven stories, the farther the fall, the better the chance of survival! They found that the reason for this was that after five stories or so, cats reach terminal velocity. The velocity or speed of a falling body does not increase forever because the rate of increase in speed is interrupted by air resistance. A skydiver reaches a terminal velocity of around 130 to 140 mph after about 30 seconds of free-falling. Cats reach terminal velocity much sooner at about 60 mph.

Before reaching terminal velocity, cats have their muscles tensed and are rigid and flexed and prepared for landing, making them more prone to injury due to the impact. Once they've reached terminal velocity, however, they relax and spread themselves out much like a flying squirrel, allowing the impact to be absorbed by a larger surface area and therefore resulting in fewer injuries.

http://www.cat-olholics.com/cats-land-on-their-feet.html

So... Will be tossing kitty from around 700ft from now on:ph34r:

What the F was that?

Total chaos. I pitched before I even went below the railing. It was all rather embarrassing.

Mind you, it was completely planned this way. I've done this move of the diving board many times. I did think to stretch the amount of time when taking this thing from a five meter board to a 900 foot bridge, but when push came to shove I initiated the rotation just as hard as I usually do. Pulling exactly in the rotation where I planned on pulling, but unfortunately not being very low yet...

Bwhuauhahuahua, I'll blame it on Bridge Day. Anything goes there, right? ;)

Splatula. Represent. B|

Avery.if you really mean that....awesome. What comes around will come back to bite. Can't wait for the dinosours to get thier world back. Like you say it's a beatiful planet and absolutely a rotton world.***
is it dark yet

So Jaap, do you have any more pics of that jump after your exit?

If not, what happend?

www.myspace.com/durtymac

Splatula. represent! SPLATULAS - UNITE TO FORM SPLATUTRON!

Luckily I've got cleatus to make comments for me while I'm out ripping it up. Hey captain syphillus, one hand smells like pussy, the other one like a boston roach coach dog with the works, and I'm burpin' sam adams. aiant life grand?

charmspoop- The only thing that comes back around to bite is a bear you didnt shoot dead.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

PS. A 42 works just fine for a kitten. Pics will follow shortlyB|

Bet you can't outdo NASA:

Kitty on the Vomit Comet
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

whats black and blue and doesnt like sex?

that cat iin the trunk of my car.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com