base704

Will a kitten survive a free-fall-assist from 320' with a 46" p/c?

Well?

What say the masses?

If the demand is high enough, video of the attempts will be made available to the public for a reasonable fee...:)

So long as BASE PC manufacturers don't start labeling their products as "tested on animals", I see nothing ethically wrong with this.
Otherwise, it's sick.

Why 320'? Let him make a historic leap from El Cap.

Imagine rangers chasing a cat on Big Meadow...

I totally agree with 813....Fuckin' Disgusting is putting it lightly. People are the worst and most evil creatures in the world.***
is it dark yet

I totally agree with 813....Fuckin' Disgusting is putting it lightly. People are the worst and most evil creatures in the world.***

Maybe you're projecting.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

A kitten might need a vented 42...I hear they are sensitive to the effects of oscillation.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Yes there was a post about how a kitty jumped from a plane, was doing fine under canopy for a while, then he spassed out and started climbing up the lines which collapsed, or put his ride into a spin. Kitty went in at a county fair infront of kids. Not sure it was real or not, but I could see it happen. I say do it, but tape his paws so he cant climb up the lines.:ph34r:

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Like it or not, black death style humor is now, and always has been (and likely always will be) part of our sport.

It's a joke, people. Lighten up a little.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

People are the worst and most evil creatures in the world.

For the record, I'm an exception to this. I totally rule.

Like it or not, black death style humor is now, and always has been (and likely always will be) part of our sport.

It's a joke, people. Lighten up a little.

exactly. chill out, happy halloween people. just be sure not to put any extra pins in the apples for the kids, as they prefer tailgates nowadays.:P

Yeah I know...Gee didn't think anyone would get offended. I've lived with the worlds Freakiest of Freaks. Back atchya. Cheers Always everyone.***
is it dark yet

I am with Tom on this one. Drama and politics is one of the biggest reasons I choose to BASE over skydive. Let's take a chill and love life, because we all have one thanks to this wonderful sport!!

Everybody, please think of the cats.

:D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Moronic. Utterly moronic.

Joke or not, this thread just makes a lot of you look like a bunch of mindless 'american pie' high school jocks, all desperately trying to outdo each other in the 'i'm so radical and crazy, look at me' stakes.
813 at least has the balls to stand up and speak his mind, knowing that doing so was going to leave him vulnerable to accusations of being a kill joy, cos no one likes to be told they're not funny.

Equally as funny would be a "how much of a mess do you think the freshly severed head of a US Marine would make if dropped by an Iraqi insurgent from the top of a Baghdad building using a 42" pilot chute"

But pleeeasse, don't get indignant. It's just a joke.

Moronic. Utterly moronic.

Joke or not, this thread just makes a lot of you look like a bunch of mindless 'american pie' high school jocks, all desperately trying to outdo each other in the 'i'm so radical and crazy, look at me' stakes.
813 at least has the balls to stand up and speak his mind, knowing that doing so was going to leave him vulnerable to accusations of being a kill joy, cos no one likes to be told they're not funny.

But pleeeasse, don't get indignant. It's just a joke.

Context is everything.

BASE arose from skydiving; skydiving has a long history of "what happens when you put a cat out of an airplane" jokes. (Links in my last post above--note that the the Humane Society happily accepted the proceeds from the sale of tapes of such a comedy routine.) The next logical step is "cat from object."

Me, I voted for calling in PETA, but that's only because in the context of the joke, it seemed the funniest option to me. I have this vision of TJ up on the antenna, trying to get the cat geared up, with PETA protesting below. In my mind, given the behavior of both cats and PETA, it makes a very funny picture, and boy, do I need a laugh.

The image your analogy evokes makes me ill. There is no possible humor to be found in it.

Anyway, speaking as the person whose kitty was "volunteered" to take the leap, I can tell you I have discussed it with her fully, and she's perfectly gleeful for the chance to give TJ a run for his money.

As clever as TJ is, I'm still betting on the cat.

rl

P.S. Have you ever read a treatise on humor? All humor is at the expense of something or someone.

From Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein:

She said grimly, "Apparently the pratfall is the peak of all humor. It's not a pretty picture of the human race, Mike."

"Oh, but it is!"

"Huh?"

"I had thought--I had been told--that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Nor ever is it funny to be the person it happens to. The goodness is in the laughing itself. I grok that it is a bravery...and a sharing...against pain and sorrow and defeat."

I know of an elephant that has over 200 jumps, mostly 2ways but also a few solos- He's mad for it.
'Power to the Pachyderms!'

Ahhh, the sage that is Rhondalea

Well wise one, you got me. I feel soooo humbled now. What with the context explained and you setting me straight on what does and doesn't constitute funny.

Thanks for that.

Oh, just one last point you could maybe explain using excessive quotes and philosophical references.

The cat thing....it makes me feel ill. There is no possible humour to be found in it.

And i'm not alone in that assessment so don't try to paint me to be some kind of pariah.

oh yeah...two other things: Firstly, I quite catagorically stated "equally as funny would be....". As I have stated, I don't find the cat thing funny, ergo, neither is the analogy . Secondly, that particular method of execution of troops i mentioned is done for a specific reason. It's done using the same methods for slaughtering animals - in accordance with halal. In otherwords, the killers are saying and no doubt believe, this living thing is of no more value to me than an animal. I would have thought that within the CONTEXT of this discussion you might have spotted the parallels on how we value life (or not as it seems).

Anyone can quote a poet, philosopher or respected thinker at the end of their post in an attempt to gain credibility. It doesn't necessarily make your point any more valid though.

Have you ever read Burning in water drowning in flames by Charles Bukowski;

the next time I break an egg I'll think of you

scramble with a fork

and turn up the flame

Thanks for that.

You're welcome.

I was a wildlife rehabilitator for years. I've never not owned a cat, and at one time I had 13 cats, two dogs, two parrots, 200 turtles and tortoises, several snakes (including a new-hatched black rat given to me as a wedding present), some odd amphibians, as well as countless raccoons, skunks, deer, songbirds and a few things I forgot to mention. My life revolved around them.

I have never abused or abandoned an animal, and I've gone to some pretty great lengths to keep critters safe. I would sooner feed my cat than myself, if I had to make a choice, and back in my single-mother days, I did without a lot of things to keep both child and pets fed.

I say all that just so you understand my mindset when it comes to animals. I do surely like them a whole lot more than I like people.

As for you, I understand neither your lack of humor nor do I understand your hostility towards me, but my current theory is that hostile, angry people have no sense of humor.

I'll get back to you on that when I have enough data to support my conclusion.

In the meantime, Baby is practicing for her great adventure from the roof of the house. She's having a blast.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Sorry, what did i say that was indicative of my humour you fail to understand.

I'll re-read my post to find the joke, but i'm pretty sure I never attempted to be funny. I did point out that the cat thing wasn't funny, in the same way the head thing wouldn't be funny.

That fall back to "why are you so hostile" is obtuse.

Q "why are you so argumentative?"

A "i'm not argumentative"

Reply "see you're doing it now".

Come on. That was a weak reply and you know it.

What was being discussed here is to many people reading these threads utterly moronic and does NOTHING at all beneficial for BASE jumpers. It makes us all look like a bunch of yahoos who have no respect. And it directly links to our activity which is BASE. You may very well understand the context and think it's funny, but i don't, and so it's safe to say neither did a lot of people reading this.

What next, some really humourous racist jokes or a few well placed paedophile gags. Believe me with enough effort i could justify a context in which to tell them.

Wake up people. This is a public forum. What's posted here is ammunition to our detractors and justification for further limitations placed on us.

It's amazing how many out there got all worked up about a rail jump cos of the negative effects it might have on the public perception of BASE jumpers yet seem to feel the subject under discussion here will be found universally funny. It won't and it will do nothing but harm.

We have rupture.

rl

Its not just the proper size of canopy. You need a counter weight on the cat unless its climbing up on the lines a collapse its canopy.

so it seems.

yawn.

I'll leave you comedians to it. Heard any good rape jokes recently, titter titter.

this shits hilarious...you would never guess it was hurricane season would you....hehehe

whats the difference between an aston martin and a garage full of dead hookers....i dont have an aston martin...

as it happens i dont have a garage either...and this WAS a joke..funny as fuck i dont think...
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Maybe you should try it first to make sure it's safe for the cat.

Maybe you should go hug a tree...

I'm not hugging "Tree", he's not my type.:o

whats the difference between an aston martin and a garage full of dead hookers....i dont have an aston martin...

Ok, now that was the only funny thing I've read in this thread so far.

The cat thing might be funny if it wasn't for the fact that some of the people who post on here would probably really pull such a moronic stunt.

Everybody, please think of the cats.

~MMMmmmmm, they're Delicious!
~j:P

"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"