Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

cute
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Niiice. Gigantic balls (and tiny pilot chutes):P

So how many optics/IR lasers do you think you had on you while taking those pix?

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

If only :)
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Does Ray like to jump without using his legstraps? :P

was less than 10 years ago that it was covered in scaffolding :$
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

mmmm. dunno about that. is that what people mean by "ground launch"?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

mmmm. dunno about that. is that what people mean by "ground launch"?

duuuuuhhh... so the joke when completely over your head then... but you all can still shed a tear b/c even though we didnt really jump the monument at high noon, its NPS land, and even kiting the canopy is apparently a crime. [:/]

PS - Go back to the bonfire.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Hmmmmm .good question.:D

So how many optics/IR lasers do you think you had on you while taking those pix?

I WAS a cool thing to do. And no.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

THAT'S GREAT. GO AND DAY BLAZE OUR BEST OBJECT AND PLASTER PICTURES ALL OVER THE NET. ETHICS BE DAMNED. GUESS WE WON'T BE HITTING THAT AGAIN ANY TIME SOON.

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

:P

on a serious note, who has jumped that object? i bet access is a motherfucker... terrorism cahrges and the like...

No one has jumped it. There were 2 sets of plans while the scaffolding was up. One involved a friend who was a security gaurd at the site, and the other involved sacrifical gear and underwater breathing devices for escape. AFAIK, neither took place, and I was in on one of the plans.

Oh well, it will need more work in 30 years, and I'll be waiting for another shot. :)

If I remember correctly someone jumped it many years ago. I think I saw a picture of it in Skydiving Magazine before I even started skydiving. Is it something on the order of 570 some odd feet tall? If so then yes it's been jumped before by someone.

Bill L. did the San Jacinto Monument in Texas and the picture looks a lot like the other thing. That may have been what you saw. In 1991 I was being driven around D.C. at night by Bill Ottley (then executive director of the USPA) and I was sitting on the trunk lid of his flaming (red or yellow?) Cadillac convertible drinking a beer. When we passed the Washington Monument he caught me eyeballing it and said, "Don't even fucking think about it."

If the Washington Monument has been done, it was done right, as I've never heard about it from anyone . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Are you sure? I'd bet money I saw a picture of it and the caption said it was the Washington monument. A guy jumped from some window up at the top of something. 575' rings a bell. I'll see if I can find that magazine.

The windows are more like portholes, and even if they opened (which they don't), I doubt a body could get through, even without a rig on.

Prove me wrong, though...that'd be pretty cool if it did happen.
-C.

Oops I didn't read your post properly the first time. The San Jacinto Monument IS 570' tall so maybe that was what I read about. Now I'm curious.
I'm guessing you're right thoguh. Oh well.

The Washington Monument is (apprx.) 555' 5" tall and 55' wide at the base.

duuuuuhhh... so the joke when completely over your head then...

Heh. The first thing that went through my mind was "Cool! Kiting on NPS Land!". :)

So did anyone hassle you about it?

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Fortunately we were not bothered, although I was concerned about getting busted for even kiting. At that moment though it was worth getting busted. I even told Ray that before we got out of the car. It was alot of fun. We did get some hoorays from passers by, and we made sure to let them know that "BASE jumping is not a crime!" We even ran into a visiting German skydiver as we were leaving the lawn.

Life is way too cool for sporting activities to be illegal.

I'm down in Richmond right now, and will be passing through DC again soon with final destination Boston. Locals have something for me with a soft landing area? I'm nursing an uncooperative ankle.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE