thezephr

Standard reserve

Has anyone tried doing a BASE Jump using a standard skydiving reservein a skydiving container?
"So... Ya tellin me theres a chance"

BASE #14's first BASE jump in 1981 was made from 800' up an antenna with a hand-deploy pilot chute attached to the apex of a round reserve with the canopy packed in the main tray and the lines in the reserve tray.

Not recommended!

To everything its place. At the right site, I still maintain you can use regular skydiving gear with perhaps a big pilot chute, slider up or down depending on altitude. People did this for the first 10-15 years of BASE jumping. And that's with a main canopy, not a reserve....

That said, it is not suitable for a lot of BASE sites, either.

As the doc says, the people attempting these stunts are experts (and perhaps not very bright!) DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It happened just recently out here in cali, I told this guy I would repack it again for free if he did it........

I've *heard* that one of the first jumps of a Las Vegas B that looks like a giant A was done by a guy with his skydiving system leaving the main at home. Anyone know more if this is parachuting lore or truth?

Anyway, with a bit of airspeed it should work just fine.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

You haven't seen the ABA videos, have you?

It's happened a lot, mostly a long time ago, but occasionally it still happens for whatever reason. You won't catch me doing it, though. Them fancy reserve thingy's can't be trusted, I tell you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com