ClifHuckstable

Jumping for disabled children - how to help

Here it is again since it was hidden deep in that other thread.
If anyone would like to donate this is a great cause. Miles' record thingy is raising money for disabled children. Please call now! Running out of time!
Call the Magic Valley Regional Medical Center Foundation at (208) 737-2482. Also during the event (Midnight to Midnight, the entire 16th) you can call (208) 404-1039. I believe at either # you can pledge and pay. They will know more about it than me.

Hey Shane,

So how much was that Red Bull pledge?

I tried to look at this in a positive light, but it just reeks of "look at me", and DOOD, I scored a World Record for my resume. I notice very little effort has gone into generating pledges for this "charity" event. Nothing on the boards outside of the base zone, yet it sounds like a tremendous effort has gone into contacting Guiness, lining up the media, and generally attracting attention.

I'm not surprised, but I am pretty well disgusted.

BTW, if this is such an important cause, why isn't Miles on line asking for support all over the place?

Really productive post Tree. This project if for a good cause. The only thing discusting are your attempts to tear it down. This project is happening because of the support Red Bull is giving. I have been out of the country and do not know if Red Bull has given an actual pledge other than making the project possible.
As I said before I am the only one close to this project who ever frequents this forum. Miles never expected any support from this place anyway because of people like you who tear him down all the time.
At least $10,000 has been raised as far as I know. All from people in the Twin Falls area calling into all the radio stations. This is enough to treat several children who couldn't normally afford it.
Why don't you spend your time on the phone pledging some $ instead of being an ass.

I tried to look at this in a positive light, but it just reeks of "look at me"

true, very true...

but, uh, so?
the media will choose how much time to give MD and how much time to give to the charity. most media outlets know when people attempt to manipulate them.

if you think more money could be raised by just GIVING it straight to the charity, you're right. so, next time a co-worker is raising funds by selling candy or girl scout cookies, simply refuse the product and hand over some cash.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Miles never expected any support from this place anyway because of people like you who tear him down all the time.

Well he's got some!

Miles, you can make it happen bro!! Go Hard.......
Hope your still planning on coming back up north for some of those unjumped exit points before it snows.B|
SabreDave

Miles never expected any support from this place anyway because of people like you who tear him down all the time.

Can't fault him for not expecting support from here, but you can count on a pledge from me. Go Miles.

-C.

As a previous unofficial record holder for most jumps in a day (24 on 4th July 1999 off 57m span - this was for the hell of it and for Ed Trick's B'day) and a person who has given a lot of time for charities, I hope that Miles breaks the record and that he raises as much money as possible for his chosen charity. It is good to see the performance bar raised in this sport. The fact that Guinness are going to recognise the record gives more validity to the sport in the eyes of the public (not that the sport needs it as we jumpers know it is very valid and WILL NOT go away).

Hence, all the very best of luck Miles. Hope you break it, and I hope that someone else challenges you soon after. If people don't like Miles, just send some money directly to his chosen charity anyway.

I would also like to make a comment about charities and the psychology of giving in contemporary society.

In decades gone by, most people would give their arm and leg for those less privileged than themselves and they would do that unconditionally. Unfortunately, society has changed somewhat from a place with a social conscience where most people cared for others to a cynical, materialistic, litigious, inattentive, and inwardly focused society. Giving is more about what can I get out of it (tax concessions, publicity, contacts, etc).

Also, greed has meant that some "so called" charities are riddled with corruption or expensive administrations that erode the majority of donations. I think this is reality - but we still have many organisations that do a wonderful service for those that are less priveliged. Many individuals have subsequently taken the stance that since not all of their donation gets to the intended recipients, or that those that organise derive benefits, then they should not give.

Whilst I accept that people are entitled to their own opinions and they have every right to control their finances and time in the way they see fit, not giving anything for the above reasons is a poor & selfish "cop-out". For many people it is a way of overcoming the personal guilt of not contributing by blaming others for their corruption and/or inefficiency in controlling charitable giving.

My personal opinion is that if 10% of the money I give goes to the intended recipient, then I have done the right thing. Yes, I will have the proverbial shits, but at least something has been achieved. If someone goes through the effort of organising a charitable event and money is raised and directed to the intended recipients, then they deserve the publicity / pat on the back. A lot of hard work goes into event organisation.

I also think the persons who sit lowest on the tree of morals when it comes to charity, are the ones that openly criticise others and then do NOTHING themselves. They should perhaps consider directing their energies to something a little more productive. The people that sit highest are the ones that give unconditionally - no tax concession, no publicity, no pats on the back, no expectations that their God will put them in front of the queue at the pearly gates of heaven. They are even higher if they have nothing to give in the first place.

r.e. Miles Daisher - as I said, GOOD LUCK TO HIM. I hope he does well. He could have done this record attempt without involving a charity in the first place. So I think it was good of him to derive some benefit for both himself AND handicapped children. You also have to remember that the more successful a person is (i.e. Miles), the greater his/her ability to contribute to those less in need. I hope he becomes a millionaire and that he gives 10% to charity, rather than being a nobody who donates nothing. Why do you think Billy Gates and the like become philanphropists? Because it is a symbiotic relationship that derives mutual benefit.

Why do people object to or dislike Miles? There is something you need to understand about human psychology. To use a cliche - "statistical norm" - on average, people are average!!!! How is that for over stating the obvious!!!!! Those people that exist outside the norm attract attention from the masses. This attention will either have a positive, neutral, or negative slant. The individual who exists outside the statistical norm has the greatest influence on how the public (the members of society that make up the statistical norms)perceives them. I know very little about Miles. But what I do know is that he has challenged the social and political structure of some segments of the BASE community. Hence the response.

Do you remember John McEnroe - former great USA tennis player? People either loved or hated him. He was loud, obnoxious, but talented and entertaining.

Miles seems loud, and extroverted too. He seems very much "in your face", he also does things in an inconventional manner. Most people feel threatened by change or challenges to the status quo. When you couple that with the fact that publicity is one of Miles' objectives in a sport where most people are opposed to media attention (where most publicity is derived), you should expect not much other than annoyed people. When you throw in the charity factor and some of the points that I mentioned above, then in my mind there is no surprise that people are offended or object to Miles' record attempt project. I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is in my mind just that way it is. As I said, I hope he does well.

If it had of been Nick D, or Anne H, or Marta, or Martin T etc, I am sure that the response would have been different purely because of the perception that BASE society has on those individuals. Miles needs to appreciate that perceptions are rightly or wrongly created because of the actions of the individual in question.

The perception of you or I has been initiated by your/my thoughts and actions and then how they interact with the social rules and culture of the society in which we live in. We are each resonsible to some extent on how people perceive us. Think about why politicians and movie stars have publicists helping them in this field.

Remember, giving to others in need is the greatest gift of all.

p.s. It seems there are a number of BASEr's supporting this event anyway. Good on you all.

p.s. my experience in volunteering and charities includes - youth groups, emergency services, Amnesty, Safety Officer of BASE organisation, coaching in various sports, religious groups, etc. I have directly dealt with handicapped people, financially crippled people, cancer patients (close friends and relatives), etc. I am also fully committed to charity in other parts of the world.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Why are you so bitter, Tree?

I was contacted some time ago about his efforts and to make a pledge. But he never called up and asked, please come watch me and be a good little cheerleader.

Miles is doing something positive with his overabundance of enegy. What are you putting him down?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

As a previous unofficial record holder for most jumps in a day (24 on 4th July 1999 off 57m span - this was for the hell of it and for Ed Trick's B'day) and a person who has given a lot of time for charities, I hope that Miles breaks the record and that he raises as much money as possible for his chosen charity. It is good to see the performance bar raised in this sport. The fact that Guinness are going to recognise the record gives more validity to the sport in the eyes of the public (not that the sport needs it as we jumpers know it is very valid and WILL NOT go away).

Hence, all the very best of luck Miles. Hope you break it, and I hope that someone else challenges you soon after. If people don't like Miles, just send some money directly to his chosen charity anyway.

I would also like to make a comment about charities and the psychology of giving in contemporary society.

In decades gone by, most people would give their arm and leg for those less privileged than themselves and they would do that unconditionally. Unfortunately, society has changed somewhat from a place with a social conscience where most people cared for others to a cynical, materialistic, litigious, inattentive, and inwardly focused society. Giving is more about what can I get out of it (tax concessions, publicity, contacts, etc).

Also, greed has meant that some "so called" charities are riddled with corruption or expensive administrations that erode the majority of donations. I think this is reality - but we still have many organisations that do a wonderful service for those that are less priveliged. Many individuals have subsequently taken the stance that since not all of their donation gets to the intended recipients, or that those that organise derive benefits, then they should not give.

Whilst I accept that people are entitled to their own opinions and they have every right to control their finances and time in the way they see fit, not giving anything for the above reasons is a poor & selfish "cop-out". For many people it is a way of overcoming the personal guilt of not contributing by blaming others for their corruption and/or inefficiency in controlling charitable giving.

My personal opinion is that if 10% of the money I give goes to the intended recipient, then I have done the right thing. Yes, I will have the proverbial shits, but at least something has been achieved. If someone goes through the effort of organising a charitable event and money is raised and directed to the intended recipients, then they deserve the publicity / pat on the back. A lot of hard work goes into event organisation.

I also think the persons who sit lowest on the tree of morals when it comes to charity, are the ones that openly criticise others and then do NOTHING themselves. They should perhaps consider directing their energies to something a little more productive. The people that sit highest are the ones that give unconditionally - no tax concession, no publicity, no pats on the back, no expectations that their God will put them in front of the queue at the pearly gates of heaven. They are even higher if they have nothing to give in the first place.

r.e. Miles Daisher - as I said, GOOD LUCK TO HIM. I hope he does well. He could have done this record attempt without involving a charity in the first place. So I think it was good of him to derive some benefit for both himself AND handicapped children. You also have to remember that the more successful a person is (i.e. Miles), the greater his/her ability to contribute to those less in need. I hope he becomes a millionaire and that he gives 10% to charity, rather than being a nobody who donates nothing. Why do you think Billy Gates and the like become philanphropists? Because it is a symbiotic relationship that derives mutual benefit.

Why do people object to or dislike Miles? There is something you need to understand about human psychology. To use a cliche - "statistical norm" - on average, people are average!!!! How is that for over stating the obvious!!!!! Those people that exist outside the norm attract attention from the masses. This attention will either have a positive, neutral, or negative slant. The individual who exists outside the statistical norm has the greatest influence on how the public (the members of society that make up the statistical norms)perceives them. I know very little about Miles. But what I do know is that he has challenged the social and political structure of some segments of the BASE community. Hence the response.

Do you remember John McEnroe - former great USA tennis player? People either loved or hated him. He was loud, obnoxious, but talented and entertaining.

Miles seems loud, and extroverted too. He seems very much "in your face", he also does things in an inconventional manner. Most people feel threatened by change or challenges to the status quo. When you couple that with the fact that publicity is one of Miles' objectives in a sport where most people are opposed to media attention (where most publicity is derived), you should expect not much other than annoyed people. When you throw in the charity factor and some of the points that I mentioned above, then in my mind there is no surprise that people are offended or object to Miles' record attempt project. I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is in my mind just that way it is. As I said, I hope he does well.

If it had of been Nick D, or Anne H, or Marta, or Martin T etc, I am sure that the response would have been different purely because of the perception that BASE society has on those individuals. Miles needs to appreciate that perceptions are rightly or wrongly created because of the actions of the individual in question.

The perception of you or I has been initiated by your/my thoughts and actions and then how they interact with the social rules and culture of the society in which we live in. We are each resonsible to some extent on how people perceive us. Think about why politicians and movie stars have publicists helping them in this field.

Remember, giving to others in need is the greatest gift of all.

p.s. It seems there are a number of BASEr's supporting this event anyway. Good on you all.

p.s. my experience in volunteering and charities includes - youth groups, emergency services, Amnesty, Safety Officer of BASE organisation, coaching in various sports, religious groups, etc. I have directly dealt with handicapped people, financially crippled people, cancer patients (close friends and relatives), etc. I am also fully committed to charity in other parts of the world.

OK, I tried I got threw the first paragraph,
can anyone who read the whole thing sum it up for me in 2 or 3 sentences, please?
~J:P
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

OK - Sorry.

Love him or hate him, good on Miles for doing his thing. I support his efforts and I think he deserves something for his efforts too.

People should support the underprivilieged in some way and not make excuses not to.

Miles should understand why some people have the shits with him. He's out there, average people for some reason get offended by "out there" people.

Smile, and be happy.

How was that?

;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Dont aid Jamie in his laziness!!:P

I would spend the time to give this a thoughtful rep..........
Ooh! something shiny!:P
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Dont aid Jamie in his laziness!!:P

I would spend the time to give this a thoughtful rep..........
Ooh! something shiny!:P
~J

Is shiny YOUR favorite color too!?

Miles told me to look up this thread so I could donate the the children's benefit......I didn't expect to find Miles getting bashed for this. Pretty sad.

Shane
Thanks for posting the numbers to donate. I called and left messages.

TVPB
Great analogy and expression of your opinion, I appreciate the time you spent to put your perspective out there.

Average Tree
Thanks for nothing! You don't seem to ever have anything positive to say about others...especially Miles. I wonder did you tell him to his face what you thought of him when you met him in TF?
Just curious.
Hate Red Bull? Dont buy it! Hate Miles? Don't talk to him! Its pretty simple.
I'm sorry you feel so much hate in your heart.......I don't think Miles does????

Miles
Great Job and I wish you safe jumps and hope you succeed in your attempt. I feel you already have as you have already bettered the life of these children by showing that you care.
I support you 100%.

Alan Christoffersen

In my opinion, you have played right into the game. Do a big PR event that is 90 percent look at me, and 10 percent charity, and you can hide behind that 10 percent charity.

As I said before, I tried to look as this as as a positive, I really did. But the core of it is not a charity event, it is a publicity stunt. I've seen lots of charity events with some sort of golf, tennis, or running event used to gather pledges. This clearly isn't one of them and appears to have had the charity part "tacked on" for good measure.

You all have your opinion and I have mine. I see the continuous antics of an overgrown ADD child seeking as much attention as he can garner, often at the expense of others. If you see this as a big cahrity event I ask again, where was the effort to gather pledges? Why no corporate supoprt of a so called Red Bull sponsored athlete? If you can't answer those questions, then just maybe there is something to the analysis.

And for the record, I don't hate Miles, I am embarassed to be associated with his childish behavior, and thats why I don't like him attempting to represent base to the public. 98% of base jumpers are pretty normal people with real jobs & real lives and are far away from WHOOOOOOOOO, DOOOOOOD, its like being Born!!!

I am embarassed to be associated with his childish behavior

You know Mr. Treejumps, if you're so embarrassed to be associated with Miles' childish behavior, why don't you end the association...but what would you have to do to achieve that goal? Quit BASE? Quit posting in this forum?

Seems you have some difficult decisions to make.

Amen to that!

oh and TREE,
I'm embarrased for wife and kid but you don't hear me being a negitive nancy toward them.
Has anyone ever told you that you talk to much?

pull the stick out of your ass, go warm up the milk, sit back and enjoy!

I think it's a great idea what Miles is doing. Just one suggestion. A website explaining the event and the charity, and listing some of the major (and maybe minor) donors might do something to aid in its credibility for unbelievers.

I guess today's the day. Hope it goes well.

Skypuppy BASE 92
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

As I said before, I tried to look as this as as a positive, I really did. But the core of it is not a charity event, it is a publicity stunt. I've seen lots of charity events with some sort of golf, tennis, or running event used to gather pledges.

I know a guy who hosts his own "charity" golf event. like most such, it appears to be mostly as an excuse to get friends together. it happens all the time.

if it offends you that bad, do the civilized thing and OFFER AN ALTERNATIVE!

as I've never actually run a fundraiser, I'll cheer for Miles to do a great job. hopefully it reflects well on the rest of us.

oh, and do you think your divisive comments reflect well on the sport?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Go Miles! Go Miles! You're a rock star! Kick some ass now!

Rah. Rah. Shish. Boom. Ba!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Shane,

Do you know if Miles is going to keep that foundation up and running after this?

I need a local charity to make my students give money to, and if this is ongoing, it looks ideal for that kind of thing.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Not sure but I think so. You should ask him. Also, I believe Miles and Nikki want to make this an annual event. Not necessarily a world record attempt but some sort of "Parachutes For Kids" fund raiser. Maybe some sort of competition next year. BTW, I think Miles' wife Nikki was responsible for most of the organization of this event which got the living shit organized out of it. We should be congradulating her too.

Next year, go for maximum number of jumps total in 24 hours by as many jumpers as possible. Like a 24 hour Bridge Day. Can the jump community do 1000 jumps off the Perrine in 24 hours?

Next year, go for maximum number of jumps total in 24 hours by as many jumpers as possible. Like a 24 hour Bridge Day. Can the jump community do 1000 jumps off the Perrine in 24 hours?

Just a thought...

Instead of an El Cap protest jump, how about an El Cap charity jump?

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb