skypuppy

BASE 82 is gone

Found out this morning, Jo Stanley died in a gliding accident Sunday afternoon. Jo was a competitor, a teammate, a friend... a mentor. Most of all Jo was an inspiration. In the 80's in the Southern Ontario region, Jo WAS the base scene.

Gone now to be with his brother, Rick.

I went in for dinner with Jo last summer during the big ways at Burnaby, he seemed to have matured into an even happier, more fulfilled person. He hadn't jumped in 2 years I think, but he did one jump to get back into it, and then flew as if he'd never been away....

When I'm up to it I'll post some stories about Jo, or maybe someone else has some....

Rob Price
BASE 92
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Blue Skies Brother - Go Easy

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

I haven't seen Jo for years but he was a great guy. He had some adventures. Tough guy...he survived a couple of hard landings that smashed him up badly and made thousands of skydives after the accidents.

I look forward to hearing your stories Rob.

RIP Jo,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Back when Jo was jumping in DeLand, we always knew when he was coming in to land. He would be the one yelling "wheeeeeeeeee!" when he started his riser approach....

Blue Skies, brother.

Thanks, Scott, for that reminder of Jo landing. If you absolutely had to come up with one word to describe someone or their life, "wheeeeeeeeee" would just about cover Jo.
He was sometimes called "broken Jo", though I don't think he liked it much. But it was a fact. Jo had been broken. Once when he landed in the ditch - remember the ditches? - in DeLand, he became for a short while, "soakin' Jo". That name was given to him by Gus Wing. Well, fuck, I hope they're both laughing right now. They both had those laughs you could tell from across a crowded room. See you, Jo.

p.s. Anyone know how to contact Rob?