NickDG

Potato Record . . .

I'll bet he does 2 per hour and ends up with 50 or better . . . or maybe he'll do five hundred!

NickD :)BASE 194

http://www.sltrib.com/nationworld/ci_3021317

Article Last Updated: 09/12/2005 01:12:37 AM

The Nation in Brief

IDAHO

Twin Falls man seeks base-jumping record

TWIN FALLS - Miles Daisher likes to throw himself off buildings, cliffs, and radio towers. And on Friday, he'll try to set a world record for his sport, known as BASE jumping, for the most jumps in 24 hours. He has from midnight to midnight to plunge off the Perrine Bridge and parachute into the Snake River Canyon as many times as possible. BASE is an acronym for buildings, antennae, spans and the earth.

He'll climb out right? or will there be a faster (dedicated) for him? how many rigs and packers will he have?

Good luck man!

From what I heard, he's going to climb them all out, and there will be packers up top with rigs ready to go.

Does Miles ever run out of energy?? We'll see. Good luck dude. Stay off the rails. :P

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I'd guess it won't matter how he does it. The current 24 hour (BASE) record isn't insurmountable. There's been 24 jumpers all at once. There's been all four BASE categories made in 24 hours. There's even been screw BASE, along with state and country BASE, all made in 24 hours, and while no one has done BASE arrest (all four objects) in 24 hours . . . the most jumps by a single person in a single day is easily within reach of any serious attempt.

It will just matter how far out of reach he wants to set the bar. If I was Miles' coach I'd tell him to coast and do fifty. Then Joe Blow will come along next month with a homegrown effort and do 60. Then Miles can return to do seventy. That way the media coverage can continue for years before we get to the helicopter part and start blowing off 500 at a time . . .

As I understood Miles, he is doing it in order to collect money for each jump from various sponsors and he is going to donate the money for charity.
But he will surly also like the publicity...

I hope he achieves his goal and get's to do the 50!

Edited twice for spelling...
And possibly still not good...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I honestly hope he does it, but man, FIFTY climb-outs in one day? One climb-out and I need oxygen... B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Finally, here's where the "athlete" thing comes in . . .

Here's an article that gives a little more info on the event, including details on the charity involved.

http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2005/09/11/news_localstate/news_local_state.1.txt

Man, 50 climb outs in 24 hours, that's gonna be some workout. I did 10 climbs last saturday and needed a lot of alcohol therapy to recover!

Good luck Miles.

Miles you crazy dude... you're hard core, good luck. :)

I think the packing tent is actually going to be at the bottom. He's got some system where they run the rigs up for him once they're packed.

I think it's pretty cool. I'm also pretty impressed that he's doing it for charity, and I think he's generating a lot of good PR for BASE jumpers in Twin Falls.

Nice job, Miles, and good luck!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Impressive indeed! And always good to raise money for charity.

However, to me it seems more an climbing endurance than a base jumping endurance. Personally, I think the 22 jumps Gary Cunningham made in 8 hours from KL tower march 2004, all packed by himself (!), are much more impressive.

But, who am I to whine about positive exposure for base jumping.

Good luck Miles,

Ronald Overdijk

I don't know how many BASE jumps you've done in a day. The most I've done was eight on a mixed day of slider up and slider down jumps.

My thighs were screaming from the bruises on my legs after that many openings, and my back hurt.

I can't imagine doing 50 jumps in a day, even slider up.

Also, if you've never climbed out of that gorge... 50 ascents in 24 hours would kill me. (I've humped for 12+ miles with a full combat load in 100 degree heat so that's an idea.)

if you've never climbed out of that gorge... 50 ascents in 24 hours would kill me.

i agree with you Chad, my single climb up that cliff had me whining like a girl...oh wait... :P

this is no mean feat that Miles is attempting, best of luck to ya, be safe and make us proud.

oh, and Miles, don't forget to smile! :D

My best whishes for Miles to complete this..

Now thats hardcore duudeB|

50 climbouts?B|:o

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey didnt you just recently do 10 in a day packing your own and climbing out all 10. Or thats at least the rumor I heard? Miles should crush the 24 record no problem.

Even I would have to say that this is postive PR for BASE in TF. Given Jimmy H's antics, Miles is practically looking like the patron saint of BASE. Since Miles will be too busy jumping, let Tom handle the PR and media relations and BASE can really come off looking pretty good.
:PB|

Anyone who can climb out there 50 times in a day (hey anyone who can climb out 5 times in a day!) has my respect!!!

Good luck :)

Given Jimmy H's antics,

What does that have to do with ANYTHING in this thread? Your comment is backhanded and a little off base.

My prediction: 39 jumps and some serious bruising of the inner thighs.

Good luck Miles.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I'll add some delirium to that! I did 21 skydives for my 21st birthday and that was mentally and physically exausting. (i was slightly hung over, oops, did i say that..?)

My thighs were screaming from the bruises on my legs after that many openings, and my back hurt.

I can't imagine doing 50 jumps in a day, even slider up.
-----------
What about all those skydivers doing 100+ (and much more) jumps in 24 hours? Of course you will be sore. Of course, when you train you will be more immune to wear and tear on your body. I do repeat my message; I guess he will be much more sore and tired from the climbing then from the jumping.

Ronald

Hey Nic,

I used to regularlay do 15 a day shooting video, and many guys I know do 18 to 20, videos and/or tandems. And those are working jumps. You got to harden up! :P

The jumps are the easy part, its the hiking out that is tough. With a winch and 10 rigs you could do a couple hundred in 24 hours.