base428

NPS Raises BD Landing Fees 429%

Can we use the letter you wrote as a bit of a templete to send to Mr. Hite, just to make it easier on us lazy folk?

I know you're asking him, but my advice is that each letter should have a different style. No one ever reads the boilerplate.

If Mr. Hite gets 100 letters that all sound the same, he's not going to bother to read each one. If you change the perspective slightly in each letter, the "BASE lobby" will appear bigger than it really is.

More important, for a little more punch, the letters need to go to others besides Hite. Copies should be sent to all interested entities and individuals.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

The Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists has made its letter-writing system available to facilitate the sending of letters to NERI Superintendent Calvin Hite. In addition to faxing letters to NERI headquarters, letter-system users may also elect to fax carbon copies to three Congressional members: West Virginia 3rd District Representative Nick Rahall II, and West Virginia Senators Robert Byrd and John Rockefeller.

The Alliance has not provided any suggested letter text, as stylistically different letters will always be more sincere and better-received, so you must create your own text. Your letter will appear to have come from you and only you; we are merely providing the means to expedite your responses to Superintendent Hite.

edit to remove link ~TA

Sincerely,

K. Gardner Sapp, Director
Jason Dawson, Director

The Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists
P.O. Box 38202
Atlanta, Georgia 30334
[email protected]

Nice job Gardner. I just sent my letter and was very easy even for a complete moron like my self. Now lets pound these people with letters and remind them of the economic impact of BASE jumpers pulling out of bridge day festivities.

Please DO NOT USE the ABP fax system. I was never contacted by the ABP regarding use of this system and I feel that the ABP and Robin Heid will only only cause further harm in the BASE community. I've just discussed the situation with the NPS earlier today and faxing them is not an appropriate method. The ABP should concentrate on their own agenda and not interfere with the progress I've made over the last 4 years.

The Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists has made its letter-writing system available

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Nothwithstanding the whole ABP brouhaha, faxing a letter of this kind is a no-no.

Letters should be printed or handwritten (legibly), in a traditional format (whether you use letterhead paper or not) and signed in blue ink.

They should be mailed in a properly addressed envelope with a return address, and real stamps are better than postage meters. Make sure you use the correct amount of postage. Or go for the gusto, and send it overnight. FedEx will be grateful, and such deliveries generally get more immediate attention.

The only time a letter should be faxed is if it is an emergency, and even then, a "hard" copy should follow.

Emails are also out. The more work it appears that you put into the letter, the more attention it will receive.

I feel stupid explaining somethign that seems so basic and very much a matter of common sense, but you would not believe some of the total shit people send out these days. What they don't understand is that the impression they make is lasting.

If anyone needs help, I'll be happy to offer suggestions. I won't write your letter, because then it would be my letter. But I will proofread for you and help you make any necessary corrections.

(And if you're reading this, Banned Boy, it's just one more thing I don't have time for, but what's a couple more weeks in the grand scheme?)

rl

P.S. Each letter should be addressed to Hite, but a cc should go to Sherri Clendenin as well as anyone else you elect to send a copy to.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I have been sending correspondence to several state and federal agencies. I have certified it, FedEx it, faxed it, mailed it, email it and made it dance. I still get the same form letters back with the same text.

Email is the most popular form of a grassroots campaign. I have also used most of those systems several times and I get a written responce about 40% of the time and an email responce 100% of the time.

Jason Dawson
Jason
Darrow Said
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."

I have been sending correspondence to several state and federal agencies. I have certified it, FedEx it, faxed it, mailed it, email it and made it dance. I still get the same form letters back with the same text.

Email is the most popular form of a grassroots campaign. I have also used most of those systems several times and I get a written responce about 40% of the time and an email responce 100% of the time.

It isn't about the response you get.

It's about the impression you make.

There are two issues here, anyway.

Bridge Day is a unique animal, and base jumpers have no small influence, because they draw spectators to the event. Spectators mean money for the local economy, and this creates a power base for the stars of the show. If the stars of the show take an obvious interest in what affects them directly, it will not go unheeded. But making the best possible impression will not hurt, and it usually helps.

A grassroots campaign, on the other hand, starts at a disadvantage. There is no economic reason to indulge you, and the success of such campaigns is measured in the number of supporters you collect as you go along--in other words, how strong a showing you can make. Even so, as you work toward your goal, you will make friends--or enemies--based upon the impression that you give the powers-that-be. You never know who is going to be in the right place at the right time to see the letter you have written. You really don't seem to understand that sometimes things actually happen because a single person happens to be in the right place at the right time to take an interest in your cause.

Letters get filed. Letters on good paper may be read again when that file is opened because they stand out. Faxes, on the other hand, get lost in the shuffle, and emails just get deleted.

No one has to listen to me. I'm just talking about what I've seen happen over the years in the places I've worked--both to the firms and their clients--when things are done the wrong way and when they're done right.

rl

P.S. Purely as an aside, and in my humble opinion only, a grassroots campaign is useless and a waste of the limited resources available to the base community. What is required is well-planned and duly executed legal action to compel the entities involved to knuckle under.

Rhonda is correct about mailing letters, and I assumed everyone would read the attached letters and pull Calvin's mailing address from it. In case you missed it:

Calvin Hite
Superintendent
National Park Service (NERI)
PO Box 246
Glen Jean, WV 25846

I, too, have tried various methods of communication to the NPS and every one of my Congressman, Senators, and even the Governor. The most effective method is MAILING your own letter. I almost always receive replies when mailing letters, but faxing them has had a 33% reply rate so far.

Just so you know, I got no sympathy from the Bridge Day Commission (BDC) at their meeting today. I was often told to simply "raise my jump ticket prices" and no one from the BDC wanted to get involved. Several BDC members rejoiced when I mentioned that Bridge Day would not exist without us (indicating they'd rather see the event go away).

I asked the NPS about alternate landing areas (RR tracks, river, etc) and was told they would arrest us if we landed in the river without accepting the permit. The NPS is reportedly going to provide me paperwork that will support their right to enforce their rules over the New River.

At this point in time, the NPS has no reason to reduce their fees. They are providing a service to us at a cost, but that cost is excessive. I'm submitting my initial application for the permit and if they have not reduce the price, then I'll use the media to gain support. I'm going to talk to the newspapers, radio, and TV. I've already got the local paper and a Charleston, WV talk show scheduled for interviews and further talks.

It's a big mess.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I asked the NPS about alternate landing areas (RR tracks, river, etc) and was told they would arrest us if we landed in the river without accepting the permit. The NPS is reportedly going to provide me paperwork that will support their right to enforce their rules over the New River.

We'd all like to see that paperwork.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Just so you know, I got no sympathy from the Bridge Day Commission (BDC) at their meeting today. I was often told to simply "raise my jump ticket prices" and no one from the BDC wanted to get involved. Several BDC members rejoiced when I mentioned that Bridge Day would not exist without us (indicating they'd rather see the event go away).

It's a big mess. I'm going to talk to the newspapers, radio, and TV. I've already got the local paper and a Charleston, WV talk show scheduled for interviews and further talks.

It's not a big mess. Bridge Day without BASE will be just another community street fair. While the commission members may try to bully you (because they don't want to do battle with NPS), they do answer to a higher authority--the media, the people who come each year just to watch the jumpers, and the businesses that benefit economically from the event. (A letter to each of the latter explaining the situation and the potential consequences therefrom might not be a bad idea.)

rl

How many people would turn up to watch rappellers?
How many TV trucks would turn up to film an empty bridge?

No shit...couldnt have said it better myself i say we get about 50 keggers and start pouring at 9am and turn the oak hill holiday inn into to biggest freakin keg party and by noon the media and NPS will practically be on their knees smiling like a donut....wait no scratch that...what if 450 geared up jumpers are on the bridge at 9am in front of 100,000 plus spectators,march all the way up to the exit point only to get peoples hopes up and then tell the world in front of live TV how the NPS is not gonna rape us anmore and go back and party like its 1999!!

OMG it'd be organized chaos at best and you know it!

then tell the world in front of live TV how the NPS is not gonna rape us anmore and go back and party like its 1999!!

OMG it'd be organized chaos at best and you know it!

Now that is classic =)
Jason
Darrow Said
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."

what if 450 geared up jumpers are on the bridge at 9am in front of 100,000 plus spectators,march all the way up to the exit point only to get peoples hopes up and then tell the world in front of live TV how the NPS is not gonna rape us anmore and go back and party like its 1999!!

Bad idea. The spectators and the media are our best friends, and we don't want to alienate them.

rl

Jason, you may not be able to charge admission, but can you ask for donations? ask people to show their support and help keep the tradition alive!

talking points were mentioned in an earlier thread, mainly focused on NPS access. it might be helpful to develop points on this and other topics as well. if the local tv stations plan on the same extended broadcast as in 2004, they may welcome more material...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Bad idea. The spectators and the media are our best friends, and we don't want to alienate them.

Best friends? the media wants a story--good publicity or bad and they dont give 2 shits which one...im not saying that there wouldnt be pissed off spectators because that'd be totally wrong. All im saying is that the majority of people out there can be influenced by us to blow the whistle on the NPS provided that they're well informed...i dunno we can pass out flyers to people, take donations, and use the air time (since they wont be showing any jumping) to tell people what BASE and the NPS is all about.

I think i'd rather be hated for who i am than befriended for who i am not

RL is absolutely correct. Nothing matters to these types of organizations other than legal action and or economic impact to local business in the area. Jason is doing the right thing by getting this out to the local and state media as well as the businesses that would be affected by the pull out of BASE jumping to this event. Not to mention the insane amount of TAX benifit that gets brought to the state and if there are specific county taxes. Unfortunately, maybe they need to be reminded of how they were impacted when BD was cancelled in 2001.

RL is absolutely correct. Nothing matters to these types of organizations other than legal action and or economic impact to local business in the area. Jason is doing the right thing by getting this out to the local and state media as well as the businesses that would be affected by the pull out of BASE jumping to this event. Not to mention the insane amount of TAX benifit that gets brought to the state and if there are specific county taxes. Unfortunately, maybe they need to be reminded of how they were impacted when BD was cancelled in 2001.

businesses that would be affected? make them affected...make somebody else feel your pain...this kind of crap is a little hard to swallow when it suddenly gets forked out onto their plate (talking about west virginians who look at bridge day as a chance to make killer money)...besides what does BASE jumping have to lose over a bridge day boycott? from what it sounds like were gonna lose a big damn hole in our pants when they run away with our wallets.. Besides i've heard from more than one person that BDAy is more about the experience rather than the jumping...look i cant wait for my first base jump but doesnt sticking it to the man feel so much better??

but doesnt sticking it to the man feel so much better??

No.

You don't know what you're talking about.

What Rhonda said.

I've worked for The Man in a previous life as a government attorney.

You might be able to get some temporary satisfaction sticking it to him. But The Man has the resources to stick it back to you ten times worse.

Too many folks around here seem to have a Ready Fire Aim mentality... :P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

but doesnt sticking it to the man feel so much better??

No.

You don't know what you're talking about.

lol i guess you're right but being passive doesnt help either

businesses that would be affected? make them affected...make somebody else feel your pain...

still haven't sorted out HOW your plan accomplishes this...

sounds like you want people to travel to WV, pay for food, lodging, and liquid refreshment. then meander and mingle on the bridge...

so where is the economic disruption?

emotional, rather then rational, decision making at exit points creates many BASE injuries. the best BASE jumpers know to avoid this. before starting BASE, you may wish to grab a pilot training book and read what the FAA says about "Aeronautical Decision Making."
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Jason, you may not be able to charge admission, but can you ask for donations?

If this is possible, and if it is accompanied by an explanation that points to the increased cost to the base jumpers for providing the day's entertainment, it's a great idea.

rl

I don't want to publically discuss some of my ideas, but I've got several interesting, effective methods in the works. I don't WANT to implement them, but I feel I HAVE to. I would hate to be the BD Organizer who allowed the fee increases to happen without protest.

If the NPS is willing to keep the permit fees identical to last year, then I'll be happy to drop the whole issue.

I've worked for The Man in a previous life as a government attorney.

:P

Ted since you worked for the man do you have any ideas for Jason I am sure he would love any suggestions or help.