bert_man

Just bought my bridge day pass... now what?

Hello all,

I just purchased one of the five remaining jump passes for bridge day. Now I'm committed! :ph34r::ph34r:

I wanted to do it last year, but it never happened. I have one main concern, however. I don't have BASE specific gear!:$

I've been told by various people that I could jump my 1983 Vector I (skydiving rig) as long as I made some modifications to it and used my old F-111 Cruislite 220. Modifications such as a large pilot chute, long bridle, no d-bag, mesh slider, etc.

I've also heard that rental gear is available. My funds are limited, but I would also like to avoid becoming a bridge day statistic.B| What do you all suggest that I do? I'm sure that everyone will suggest that I rent proper gear, so can anyone clue me in to how much it costs? Also, would it be reasonably safe to use my skydiving rig with the required modifications? I've heard that this is relatively common. I've even heard that there is enough time to use your reserve with a short delay, though I will definitely not be placing much faith in that claim.

Also, I apologize if this post breaks the 'don't mention location names' rule. I figure that this event is large enough and legal enough to be spoken of openly.
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

while you can jump a bruiselite, your profile suggests 234 lbs exit weight - I bet your ankles will only hurt IF YOU GET LUCKY, and an alternative can be even nastier... Of course you can commit to taking it in the water and having 1-2 jumps max - but drying alot faster than you are healing ...

just a drunken opinion of a fellow Ohion, who rented BASE specific gear for his first BD cuz he didn't want to be a shmuck :)

If you jump the cruislite, definitely plan to land in the water.

For rental gear, you might try calling Apex and see if they have anything available. There's also some free loaner gear floating around.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yea, the bruislite is pretty ragged out, but I jumped it for much of last year and now I can do a killer PLF (no pun intended).

Jaap - by jumpgroup do you mean the four 113-jumper groups dictated by registration date? If so, being the 5th last to register, I'm probably in the fourth group :P

Tom - I found that rental gear costs around $200, which is far out of my price range. The loaner gear idea sounds great, however, and I'll talk to a few base jumpers at my local DZ to see if I can work something out.
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Yea, the bruislite is pretty ragged out, but I jumped it for much of last year and now I can do a killer PLF (no pun intended).

have you practiced doing them in 25x75 gravel area or on a big-ass grass field ?

http://www.bridgeday.info/lz.php

25x25 gravel area. Pea gravel :P
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Here's what one jumper looked like jumping a 1982 Vector I with a Cruislite 220, long closing loop, 52" Hank PC and a long bridle.

Sure, you COULD jump that gear and land in the water (as this jumper did), but this picture is from 1991.. Just ask yourself, "Now that gear designed for this stuff is readily available, do I really want to LOOK like that?" :)

Tom - I found that rental gear costs around $200, which is far out of my price range. reply]

thats why I am sponsored by VISA;). But seriously, 200 bucks for gear that actually has some validity in being there, that skydiving rig needs to either be used for skydiving OR (and most likely) retired. I am not trying to bash you, but its time to use the better gear for the type of jump.

I made my first base jump at bridge day last year, and I rented gear from vertigo (now apex) it cost me 200 bucks, but in my opinion thats a small price to pay to help keep you safe. base jumping, in it self is very dangerous!!!! why make it more so by jumping inadequate gearB|

I made my first base jump at bridge day last year, and I rented gear from vertigo (now apex)

THEN Apex as well.

Here's what one jumper looked like jumping a 1982 Vector I with a Cruislite 220, long closing loop, 52" Hank PC and a long bridle.

Sure, you COULD jump that gear and land in the water (as this jumper did), but this picture is from 1991.. Just ask yourself, "Now that gear designed for this stuff is readily available, do I really want to LOOK like that?" :)

I'll just wrap a 'Go Fast' duffel bag around it, then after I jump I'll just pull it off and dump.

As for the gear, sure, it looks like a deformed, shit-stained pillow, but it still works exactly like it should. [knockOnWood] I don't see any reason for it to pick this jump to fuck up. [/KnockOnWood]

As for the $200 to rent, arent base containers only around $600 anyway?

And, Finally, VISA has been my proud sponsor for quite some time. Unfortunately, they've lost interest in me, and won't give me any more money [:/]
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

As for the $200 to rent, arent base containers only around $600 anyway?

Container? Maybe. But generally you're renting a complete rig (canopy and PC, too) - which quickly puts the price above $2000 these days. As they say with automobiles, "nothing parties like a rental".

I made my first base jump at bridge day last year, and I rented gear from vertigo (now apex)

THEN Apex as well.

yea, guess it was. and since we're on the subject of bridge day, last year I ordered the boogie version of the BD vid, and all I got was the jumps.Triax never returned my emails though, but its no big deal;)

You asked everyones opinion and they are telling what they think is the safest situation for you. If you get a chance take a look at videos from the last few BDs and see which jumps get ugly due to gear. Serious stuff and people pulling it out of their ass. Its not skydiving you have seconds between exit and some sort of landing. If you can swing it rent gear. Nothing worse than gear fear at 876ft. Cut back on beer between now and then or eating out you will thank yourself later!!!! Good luck and enjoy bridgeday.

Here's what I've decided. I'm going to try like hell to get good gear before BD, but I can't afford to rent right now (I've already cut back on beer to pay for the hotel room :S). If I don't find something, I'll just jump my vector (very, very carefully). I'll save some money to buy a real base rig this winter (as well as a new skydiving rig) and take a good first jump course first thing next summer.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Hello,
How tall are you?
When were you born?
How much do you weigh?
Why are you going to Bridge Day?
Will you attend the Bridge Day First BASE Jump Course?
Who will tell me you might survive a BASE jump?
Who will tell me you might not?
I have extra gear.
No charge.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Get a ranger costume and a hitler moustache to wear jumping. Make sure you get pictures doing th zig-hail in freefall.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

6'5", but I can deal with a tight fit (My skydiving rig's already a bit small, so I'm used to the discomfort)

I was born in december of 1985

I weigh about 200-210 lbs depending on how much food I eat the day before

I'm going to BD to make my first jump from a relatively safe object, and also soak up as much information and meet as many people as I can

I will attend the FJC, as well as the packing course and all other available courses

I don't understand the last two questions. Are you looking for a personal reference who could provide testimony of my attitude/abilities? Or are you reminding me that I will likely get hurt or killed in the sport, sooner or later?

I'm very interested in the extra gear. What do you have? Send me an email or PM if you'd like.
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

I don't understand the last two questions.

Hello,
Yes you do.

What do you have?

Four flaps and some velcro by Tailored for Survival, and a Mojo 260.

PM sending.
Share.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Get a ranger costume and a hitler moustache to wear jumping. Make sure you get pictures doing th zig-hail in freefall.

Haha that would be funny!!! Then we need others to dress like ranger Gestapo and have a “Nazi Ranger” big way. :D

Loin cloth made form ranger round hats not tied down well so that it reveals your pink thong underneath.

That Hat . . .

One of the problems with writing a book about BASE jumping history is the amount of great stories that can't be told at this time. Not is this lifetime anyway . . .

One of them involves the "Smokey Bear" hat worn by Park Rangers. I must say first that they don't deserve to wear them in the first place, as I believe it's a privilege reserved for Marine Corps Drill Instructors, and stands for the blood shed by thousands of my brother Marines.

With that in mind, and as many Bridge Day attendees know, we never miss a chance to swipe one away from a Ranger. I like to think of it as rescuing them, as what those hats means to the Marine Corps precedes the NPS by many years, and it was, I felt, a duty.

In fact, it's not really a "Smokey Bear Hat" It's a campaign cover. A cover worn by Marines as early as 1898. We first appropriated them from the Army, who weren't using them right, and they've become a symbol of the Corps ever since. In deference to my newer brother Marines, there was a time when the campaign cover was either worn or kept out of sight.

This is why at Bridge Day whenever a Ranger would leave his "Smokey Bear" laying on a table or any place other than on his gourd, we would look at each other, raise an eyebrow, and move in for the snatch. And over the years, we've rescued more than one. I came damn close to rescuing one last year, but not being as deft as I once was, I got caught. The young Ranger, and probably an okay guy, didn’t catch on to what was happening, and bought I was just admiring it. When he explained what the hat meant to the NPS the urge to spit in his face was overwhelming . . .

There's a great story of a Texas jumper who snagged one at Bridge Day '89 and that cover went along on many BASE jumps after that . . . but it’s not time for that story yet . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

We first appropriated them from the Army, who weren't using them right

Nice Nick. Sometimes I think the Army could "F-up" a wet Tshirt contest. Anyway if they love the brown rounds so much they need to keep tabs on them. I say write the book. It would be one more huge loogie we get to clear from our throats.