JaapSuter

Book Recommendation

Hi,

I was reading Alpine Climbing: Techniques to Take You Higher and it dedicates a short chapter to risk managment, group dynamics, decision making, etcetera. It treats it on a very theoretical level, interspersing it with anecdotal stories.

While reading this, it really struck me that this chapter totally applies to BASE as well. One could almost do a search-and-replace and change 'climb' to 'base-jump' and 'fall' to 'offheading', etcetera.

Part of it are common sense, but other parts are nice to see explicity writen down for a change. It doesn't assume we're all heroes that make perfect descisions all the time. It recognizes things like peer-pressure, pride, stubborness, etcetera, and doesn't necessarily discard these as only applicable to those that don't belong in the mountains in the first place.

It also touches on comfort zones. It explains how there are no absolute appropriate risk levels, but that it's more about understanding risks and making sure you accept them.

Highly recommended; it makes me want to read up more on theoretical risk managment and associated psychology. Perhaps if I am bored next week (unlikely) I might make it an exercise and transcribe that chapter into a BASE specific version.

Actually, while we're talking about risk anyway, I just realized that Waltzing With Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects is also a great book for geeky BASE jumpers. I just reread the chapter on risk-mechanics, and its analysis on risk exposure equals cost times probability and how to factor in risk mitigation costs is very applicable.

Cheers,

Jaap

Edit for typo.

Jaap,

Wake up call. This book would apply to 90% of all so-called risk sports.
How is life in BC and A? I guess better then our flat country. Take care

Ronald Overdijk

Wake up call. This book would apply to 90% of all so-called risk sports.

True. Doesn't make it less interesting... :)

How is life in BC and A? I guess better then our flat country. Take care...

Great, thanks for asking! I might actually be visiting the flatlands in October or November. Send me a PM if I should bring a rig.

Thanks,

Jaap