Fireflyer

Have you purchased a Complete Rig online (dz.com classifieds?)

I am looking to purchase my first rig, and have found many to my liking here on the classifieds on this site.

My question to you is, have you purchased a rig long-distance/online/from the classifieds, and if so, what tips might you offer? (I MAY just check your profile too to see if you are selling anything so be honest!!! ;-) )

I know to ask about the size of the jumper (i.e. "I am 5'6", 145 lbs, etc..."), but what else have you found to be a pro and con here? There are few options locally at my DZ to date as far as gear goes (and I want to be ready to go soon enough!)

Any recos on the number of jumps that are acceptable on a main (assuming I'll put a few more hundred on it)? How did the rig fit you when you got it? I know of course to get it all checked out by my rigger... The list goes on I am sure...

Thanks!

I bought mine from a guy off ebay. I had him end the auction early and bought everything but the main. So because I did that I didn't have anyway of reporting him if things went wrong. The guy seemed real nice, so I trusted him for the most part. He agreed to sending the rig to my DZ before I sent any money so I could have it inspected and try it on. If I didnt want it, I would pay for the shipping back. It turned out perfect and I sent him the money. Theres no reasons someone shouldnt agree to send the rig to your DZ, assuming the person trusts that the DZ is legit.

.-.

So far on DZ.com i have bought my container, reserve, and main. So pretty much everything but my cypress. I love all my gear and people on here are easy to work with. Most will work with you on getting the gear checked out with your rigger and so forth. So i would say as long as you know what you are looking for then it's a good thing. But if you aren't sure then check with your rigger or post something and let us all chime in to help out.

Patrick

I have bought and sold a number of items on the classfieds. If someone is not willing to work with you as a buyer or a seller, that is a flag. If they wont answer questions that is a flag. Things like that.. We all like to believe that skydivers are all the best and pass along nice warm fuzzy feelings but people are people and spending a grand or more is still a grand or more.

I have been very luckey and have been happy with the deals I have worked on line. Dont be overly anxious to buy, look around and get a feel for both what is out there and what you want. DO your homework and if you spend some time you will start to see a range of value. Flags should go up if gear is outside that range up or down. When a good deal comes along and you have been doing your homework you will know it. Generally these dont last that long. Sellers needs to be honest with the value of the gear but at the same time the buyer cant just go and try and low ball, there has to be a bit of realism on both sides...

Basically do your homework, talk with the seller and if you are unhappy with their response to questions, how they are working with you or if they are pressuring you remember your the buyer!

Good luck and good deals are out there!!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

My roommate just bought a beautiful Mirage container from someone here on dz.com. The transaction went beautifully and the container is just as described and pictured - all the pieces are there and it fits him like a glove. He made an exellent buy and is extremely happy.
FGF #6
Darcy

I sold my rig on here and this is how I did it.

The guy contacted me and explained that he wanted the gear, I asked him where he jumped, how many jumps he had all that stuff and if he knew a rigger.
The whole transaction went through the rigging company that was on his DZ, I shipped the rigger my rig, the guy sent me a check for half the money and when he decided he was going to keep it he sent me the rest.
All that time the rigger held on to it, untill I called him to say that I had received all the money and then he gave the rig to the guy I sold it to.
It is a bit of a hassle, but what you gain here is this:

You are working with a business, I would assume there is less risk in not getting your money
The other part is the guy that buys your stuff is ensured that he is buying quality gear, since the rigger can check it out for him and point out possible issues with the gear.

This is just my experience, and it was a very good one for me as a seller.

Thanks,
Iwan

I have bought one complete rig and two separate mains through the classifieds here. All three times were a good experience. The sellers and one buyer were all willing to work together. All parts were shipped to DZ (with the rigger's prior knowledge) and then checks were sent back. Photos were e mailed and telephone numbers exchanged. So far, 3 for 3 good experiences. As already mentioned; any unwillingness to work with you is a red flag.

I just recently took possession of a used Vector3 container with a PD reserve and Cypres. I'm sure both the seller and myself did have very small reservations about sending money or gear first. But we both trusted each other as we realized that we both know mutual acquantances (they more than me). When all is said and done, I am happy with my purchase (I have yet to jump the gear) and now I wait for my new (used) Spectre canopy to arrive as well (any day now I hope). Most of us are trust worthy here on DZ.COM as many of us have met each other at boogies. But that doesn't mean that there are bad apples out there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Chris, hey dude, they guy in the background of your pic is the guy you should be asking as well. Maybe something has come up over the last few months that he knows about. Also, contact Mike, base 469 on here, he has some contacts as well I understand. But, as everyone here has said, it is pretty resonable to expect that your deal doesn't bring up any red flags...Me, I'm still looking around for a rig, probably end up buying a new container/harness, and get the rest used. But., still looking as well. See you on safety day. Blue Ones
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

I bought my rig complete from an individual on here, just picked it up Saturday. Traded a few pics, emails, and one phone call. I sent a VERY large deposit directly to him to hold it for a bit until I could come up with the rest, he patiently waited for me. I even sent the remainder to him weeks before we were able to meet. I met up with him a few days ago, and the rig was in better shape than he said.

Although it did help that we only live about 3 hrs apart.