iwasinkheson68

regrets?

hey guys,
i'm not a BASE jumper but i must admit it fascinates me and i try to absorb all i can about it, i came across a quote the other day - don't remember where - saying that 'there is only one step to get into BASE and you'd better sure as hell know what you are doing', which started me wondering, do any of yuo guys regret making your first jump or getting involved in BASE?

never,

added:

There will be times that are trying, but its the good times that make it more than worthwhile.:)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

not so much regrets, but I would never encourage someone else to get involved with this sport..... it really is hard and nasty at times............

I was once told by someone when I was about to do my FJC - "prepare for your world to be turned upside down" - never a truer word spoken..........

never,

Pay no attention to Leroy...

...he's an idiot:P
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

do any of yuo guys regret making your first jump or getting involved in BASE?

HELL NO!! Being involved with skydiving and BASE are what I live for!

23 years after my last BASE jump it's back flowing through my bloodstream just like before and I may well jump again - there's no escape and I'm not looking for one!

23 years after my last BASE jump it's back flowing through my bloodstream just like before and I may well jump again - there's no escape and I'm not looking for one!

once bitten, forever smitten..............

HELL NO!! Being involved with skydiving and BASE are what I live for!

you need to get out more!

;)

Sometimes when I'm climbing I get the feeling that I never should have started, that I should just go home and sell all my gear. You have a lot of time to think on the way up and your mind can go to some strange places. I usually get over all that at the exit point though.

let me know when youre ready mate...got a rig here for you and some nice objects to renew your vows with!
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

careful young jedi, carefull dont piss on or in 813...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I roll out of bed every morning on creaky and swollen limbs and regret the first time I ever saw a parachute. I Frankenstein my way to the coffee pot always thinking the same thing; I should have done something more sedate with my life like accounting or vacuum cleaner salesman. It'll be a good half hour before I can walk without hanging on to something.

With coffee in hand I'll work on the book for a half hour and then check in here. I'll think of "Brit Al" making another BASE jump after his first one twenty years ago, I'll think of Jeb's dream of landing his wing suit or Yuri tracking so hard he becomes a Sputnik orbiting the earth forever. I'll compare the aerials, pin rigs, and roll overs with our first humble attempts at BASE using the wrong gear and the wrong skills. I see Bridge Day rolling into its second quarter century and can't look at a potato without smiling.

Every day it's the same, the aches and pains replaced by the wonder of it all. Not a morning passes I don't pause to think of our brothers and sisters on the fatality list, that our biggest access fights are still ahead, that we are doing something monumental most of the world will someday comprehend and embrace.

As I rub my knotted knees and down a second cup of coffee I realize if the pace of achievement over the next twenty years comes anywhere close to the last twenty I want to be here to see it. And by now my legs don't ache so much anymore. I've gone from gimp to gandy dancer with the knowledge the best of BASE is still ahead of us.

My Julia will always ask over breakfast, how do I feel this morning, and the answer is always the same, "I feel fine . . ."

NickD :)BASE 194

I should have done something more sedate with my life like accounting or vacuum cleaner salesman.

Then you'd be regretting that you were a fat old bastard with an old biddy wife and ungrateful kids. Besides which, Nick, you don't regret who you are, you revel in it. :)

On a more general note, people who are unhappy with the course they've charted need to chart another course. It's that simple.

Regret is for wussies.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

exactly that either love it or leave it..or as faber would say if you dont like it f**k off.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

I should have done something more sedate with my life like accounting

hey, I am an accountant..... its not that bad........................please, its really not that bad?!?!? - Vince, please step in here! BASE jumping Accountants stand together!!!!

Hey Vince, maybe we should start a BASE jumping accountancy forum! [:/]

What are you trying to say here?

hey, I am an accountant..... its not that bad........................please, its really not that bad?!?!? -

Bad? Who said it was bad?

It's nothing more than engineering with numbers. How can that possibly be...

:o I said the "e" word.

What are you trying to say here?

If you get an answer to this, I have a few others I'd like him to explain as well.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It'll be a good half hour before I can walk without hanging on to something.

Hehehehehe!

Every morning I limp and gimp my way to the shower.............. I need at least 20+ steps to warm up my ankle each morning to a "non gimp non limp" state......:P

I have to do exactly the same......and once I can move without "Frankensteining", every step I take the rest of the day is painful, so I am reminded everyday that I took a trip to a big, beautiful bridge one day in 2003.
I only made those 2 BASE jumps, and will be in worsening pain every day of my life because of it, but I don't regret it. I regret that I will never experience a terminal wall, or the solitude of an empty antenna at night, ot the buzz of evading the police after a downtown jump, but at least I have had a delicious taste of what the sport gives you.

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

My very wise friend (587) told me something a couple of years ago when I was getting started that has rung true...........BASE will take you to your highest highs and your lowest lows. Ying and Yang!

NO regrets!

BASE is groovalicious!!B|
SabreDave

not yet, but I've always been worried that I will one day. I think about it all the time.

ask yourself, if my femur was sticking out of my nose, would I regret base jumping?

-A

if my femur was sticking out of my nose

where else would your femur stick out of?:o
Leroy

Sometimes when I'm climbing I get the feeling that I never should have started, that I should just go home and sell all my gear. You have a lot of time to think on the way up and your mind can go to some strange places. I usually get over all that at the exit point though.

i feel the same way Gregor, but one time i didn't make it to that exit point.;)

i don't regret that either. because i didn't have to repack for the crane.:)
~E

Ditto:D
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Yo!

No regrets on BASE, I DO regret living in a place where I must sneak around in questionable conditions, under the cover of dark just to persue my love. But hell, that's nothing that a few 10's of thousands of dollars and a few international trips can't fix :P
I've made some incredible and irreplaceable friends, and my journey is still beginning. And the jumps....well that's what keeps me going. Like last night, me, my mentor and a good friend from ...well all over;). Nothing too exotic, slider down from 315' off an A, all hand held solos.... but we reveled in the moment, 3 guys who'd probaly have never met otherwise and I'll know them for life. :)

Lastly, for the dude who posted....

I regret that I will never experience a terminal wall, or the solitude of an empty antenna at night, ot the buzz of evading the police after a downtown jump, but at least I have had a delicious taste of what the sport gives you

I don't know your situation, but if you are ever willing an able, please send me an email and come visit, I'll get you everything but the terminal wall...and I know a few folks who can get you off that one too;) Never loose the fire brother!

I love BASE,

Later
Blair