aj4218

PCA deployment characteristics

Are there any differences with PCA openings when the exit is almost vertical e.g. off an S, and when the jumper is pushing out as far as possible eg B.

In other words, does the angle of presentation of the nose of the canopy influence opening characteristics at low speeds.

Not sure in relation to the nose.. but i know on ultra low stuff its better to lauch upright as you get less pendulem effect on opening.

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Also critical is whether to clear toggles or land on risers. If toggles then don't 'pop' them or you'll get forward surge , also don't flare too deep when you clear them or you could stall canopy. I've made both mistakes, perhaps do a couple PCAs or SLs from a higher object (even one you would usually freefall) just until you get your technique worked out.

From my experience of using two different canopies (size and make), this plays a considerable role in pendulum effect.

Sabre210 is well versed in low technical jumps and loves the techie geeky shit, I'm sure he'll be chiming in here shortly. :)

I saw a 180 off a PCA. The lauch was stable and straight out.

TRANSLATION: I gave my buddy a 180 on his first tower jump.

Thats what you get for wanting a PCA @ 300 ft.

Still not sure how that happend, but he's had 2 PCA's in his time and only two 2 180s and both coincided. We'd like to blame the multi, so we do. ;) The only thing a multi is good for is to wear as a g-string.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Also critical is whether to clear toggles or land on risers. If toggles then don't 'pop' them or you'll get forward surge , also don't flare too deep when you clear them or you could stall canopy. I've made both mistakes, perhaps do a couple PCAs or SLs from a higher object (even one you would usually freefall) just until you get your technique worked out.

From my experience of using two different canopies (size and make), this plays a considerable role in pendulum effect.

Sabre210 is well versed in low technical jumps and loves the techie geeky shit, I'm sure he'll be chiming in here shortly. :)

I would be interested in any facts and figures on the height lost through forward surge from popping toggles and letting up......... (and obviously any range in between)

any of you low SL / freefallers like to add to when and what height you are comfortable in "popping toggles" or not and what height you loose in that forward surge? - Im only asking as I was comfortable in low freefall until I fucked myself up a little............

The only thing a multi is good for is to wear as a g-string

:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r:
Memento Audere Semper

you are saying your buddy had 2-PCA's and both were a 180 deg. heading ???
That is very interesting.
-
You say the launch was stable and straight out.
What way is strait out on body positioning ???
Strait out Horizontal - Flat ? or strait out Vertical up & down to launch ?
-
There are a bunch of important variables to a PCA to remember when doing or giving one.
but I really doubt if the 180 is Multi-Related. it could have been Pack Job related or container related like, dragging off a side flap and turning the canopy , body positioning. maybe you center cell striped him or outside wind influence, bridal off angle to center cell on deployment on container opening and deployment, or a bunch of others. maybe bad luck.
I think he should do a couple more and see how it goes on the heading performance because if it happens more than 2 for 2 then I am real interested.