RkyMtnHigh

Skydiving vs BASE

Per request...I'm cross posting:

I love love love freeflying and other disciplines as well..but I've now had two helicopter jumps and based on wind conditions my balloon jumps have been postponed...but based on the heli jumps, I just know I'll love BASE...what can I expect as far as the differences/transitions? I'm seriously thinking about BridgeDay this year..and have a friend who has a BASE rig/canopy which is my size and perhaps it is just meant to be....;) Peatock? PeterK...whatcha think? atleast I know you and perhaps "trust" you;):P:ph34r:

ppll in "bonfire" are steering me away from this option:S

ppll in "bonfire" are steering me away from this option

Ohhh don't worry, the post gophers around here will start popping their heads up soon enough. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Thread in the BonFire

Tom, can you consolidate these two threads in some way, maybe lock one of them and refer to the other? I'd hate to see good points get lost because somebody only read one of the two threads.

I decided to give it a short first by attending BD too.

I think, if you have thought it through, and are certain about wanting to try it out, BD is where you should take a shot at it. It's the safest way (relative to regular BASE ) to find out first hand the "differences/transitions" ... Anyway, listen to what the experienced folks here have to say about it, not me.

It's the safest way (relative to regular BASE )

While I agree that Bridge Day is a relatively safe way to get into the sport, I would argue that taking a FJC at the Perrine is significantly safer.

It's the safest way (relative to regular BASE )

While I agree that Bridge Day is a relatively safe way to get into the sport, I would argue that taking a FJC at the Perrine is significantly safer.

I'm not being a smart ass, Jaap:

Why?

rl

Edited to add: I don't care who answers, Tom or Jaap, but I'd like an answer to the question, please.
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Agreed.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm not being a smart ass, Jaap:

Why?

2 primary reasons leap immediately to mind:

1) Less distractions for both student and instructor.
2) More intensive preparation, and more instructor attention.

1 jump with very abbreviated instruction, and a hundred thousand people watching, rushed through the exit point with the cattle, v. 5 or more jumps with time to focus and reflect, with an instructor following you all the way through.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

To add to Tom's post; you can get PCA'd at the Perrine, whereas I'm not sure if doing a PCA from Bridge Day is a good idea. I think it would give you more canopy time than is ideal for that landing area.

Given the choice between an experienced jumper PCAing a beginner, or that beginner going handheld and taking 2 or 3 seconds, I know that the former is much safer. I've seen plenty of first-timers go handheld and try really hard to wrap their bridle around their body fifteen times, miraculously not dying in the process.

Also, while the water is always a good option at both sites, the Perrine has a huge landing area that is substantially easier than the one at Bridge Day.

FJC at the Perrine ( where everyday is bridge day ).

I vote for Katee to make this 1st jump at the Perrine and not in WV.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I've now had two helicopter jumps and based on wind conditions my balloon jumps have been postponed...but based on the heli jumps, I just know I'll love BASE...what can I expect as far as the differences/transitions

I dont think there will be any simularities between your heli jumps verses a base jump... Unless they where from under 1500 ft and and you had to fly a unfamilar canopy and land within say 10 seconds on a LZ the size of a master bedroom surrounded by trees and water. I have around 40 or so heli jumps and the only difference is that it is"dead air" but i dove for years so to me it really doesnt make a difference.I am comfortable in dead air but dead air over a pool and dead air over ground rushing up at you are two totaly different things

I would listen to Tom , Japp, Chuck, who all have extensive base experience and a do a FJC at the bridge at perrine. You will get the best instruction and be surrounded by experienced people who will be able to help you in a relaxed comfortable setting....not a boggie...B|

You cant go wrong with there advice....B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I've now had two helicopter jumps and based on wind conditions my balloon jumps have been postponed...but based on the heli jumps, I just know I'll love BASE...what can I expect as far as the differences/transitions

I dont think there will be any simularities between your heli jumps verses a base jump...

Out of curiosity, how much base experience do you have?

--
Hook high, flare on time

none....;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I dont think there will be any simularities between your heli jumps verses a base jump...

Out of curiosity, how much base experience do you have?

but look at all the research he is doing?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I vote for Katee to make this 1st jump at the Perrine and not in WV.

kUHL Steve..when is the the next FJC at Perrine?

..when is the the next FJC at Perrine?

There are FJC's here almost constantly. If you call Apex, they can tell you what their schedule is, and often arrange things to suit your needs.

You've also still got a couple days to apply for my Labor Day free FJC, but be warned that I've only got 2 slots left, and there's a fair bit of competition for them.

I've got enough good applicants that I'll likely run a shorter (3 day) FJC sometime in late September or October, and give preference to folks who were high on the list for the Labor Day camp.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...when is the the next FJC at Perrine?

from your avatar you look like you may qualify for my FJC. Send me some pics in lingerie or less and I'll let you know if you've made the cut. If not, you could always take one of those 2nd rate course...

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

from your avatar you look like you may qualify for my FJC. Send me some pics in lingerie or less and I'll let you know if you've made the cut. If not, you could always take one of those 2nd rate course...

Now THAT is great! :D

2 primary reasons leap immediately to mind:

1) Less distractions for both student and instructor.
2) More intensive preparation, and more instructor attention.

I'd add...

3. MUCH safer landing area.

The "easy" ground landing area is pretty much a wide-open meadow. You can land along the riverside path as well but the meadow is a pretty easy one with very few hazards. And the water is pretty much cake... very slow current and usually Don is around to fish folks out.

The NRGB landing area is very rocky, tight and in some parts on an incline. A good friend of mine pulverized (literally) his heel on his second-ever BASE jump at BD. Took him over a year of surgeries to get fixed up.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I decided to give it a short first by attending BD too.

I think, if you have thought it through, and are certain about wanting to try it out, BD is where you should take a shot at it. It's the safest way (relative to regular BASE ) to find out first hand the "differences/transitions" ... Anyway, listen to what the experienced folks here have to say about it, not me.

The bridge in Idaho has a huge golf-course smooth landing area, you can do a pilot-chute assist to avoid problems with an unstable exit (saw one guy get his feet caught in the parachute lines, fortunately he got away with a lost shoe) or over delay (saw a new jumper freeze up, loose altitude on his longer delay, and then femur in the trees which he would have cleared if he opened higher), no rush to jump, there are great first jump courses where you can get up to a week of instruction in a small group, and it's legal year round.

*After seeing that video you showed me, Ted...BD isn't as "safe" as people make it out to be. The landing area looked rough! People hitting trees, rocks...just really was not as I had imagined. Not to mention with all the spectators around to add to nervousness.:S

Per request...I'm cross posting:

I love love love freeflying and other disciplines as well..but I've now had two helicopter jumps and based on wind conditions my balloon jumps have been postponed...but based on the heli jumps, I just know I'll love BASE...what can I expect as far as the differences/transitions?

Off heading openings can be fatal, you usually exit with 4-6 seconds to impact and open 3-4 seconds up (like opening at 500-800 feet on a terminal skydive), 15 second canopy rides are not atypical, fun jumps can have landing areas with less square footage than the FAA would allow pro-rated jumpers into on a demo or a couple feet of railroad track road bed to work with....

The two sports both use parachutes but otherwise aren't too similar.

Talk to Marta in Moab with Apex BASE; 1000+ injury free jumps come from a long history of good judgement and she's an excellent teacher.