hanka

Is it BASE?

Hi,

my friends jumped from the bridge and we are arguing now, if it is BASE or not. I say it´s not, because the parachute was open BEFORE the jump (would you call a man with only static line jumps a skydiver?). What do you people think?
The height is cca 40 meters above water surface, canopy is round reserve PZS 92.

Thanks...
Hanka

Download video here and rename the file to Beda.avi:

http://bluebenesky.webzdarma.cz/Beda.zip
AFFcentrum.cz

hell yes!:)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I say it´s not, because the parachute was open BEFORE the jump

I think it was nick?
who has stated that for it to be a BASE jump the canopy must be in the container when ya launch and it must be needed to save ya life,
so say ya jumped a 20m bridge into water, it wouldnt be official base as ya would most likely live without it.

I believe Carl Boenish originally defined a BASE jump as one which requires a canopy in a container. Thus, by the definition, a D-bagged jump would qualify, but a McConkey, tard or wad would not.

That said I still log any McConkeys or tards that I do.

Trivia question: Does anyone know what Jean Boenish wanted the acronym to be when they were first coming up with it? (Tom and 460 are dq'd from this because I know they know the answer ;))

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Trivia question: Does anyone know what Jean Boenish wanted the acronym to be when they were first coming up with it?

BEST

There's another account of this somewhere that I read more recently, but I'm brainfogged this morning, and I can't find it.

Edited to add: I found it on Blinc.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Have you seen that video? Canopy was not in D-bag, but I thing it was not open. And I dont thing, that it is a paragliding :)
AFFcentrum.cz

The title BASE is already pretty arrogant. Capitalized and all. But imagine how cheezed off non-fixed object jumpers would be if it was called BEST jumping.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

But on this question we don´t need answer! :D
AFFcentrum.cz

-------------------------

Trivia question: Does anyone know what Jean Boenish wanted the acronym to be when they were first coming up with it? (Tom and 460 are dq'd from this because I know they know the answer

--------------------------

I liked BEST jumping," says Carl's wife Jean Boenish. "it stood for Building, Earth, Span and Tower," but Carl keeps searching the dictionary until he comes upon the word BASE. At first nobody liked the fact that when using the word BASE a tower would need to be called an antenna, nor does Jean like the second definition of BASE which is, "Evil and vile." However the first definition is, "A platform on which something stands," but it really becomes a done deal the first time Carl looked up at the group and uttered the phase, "BASE jumping," for the very first time. Later, one of the jumpers present said, "It was a moment that sent chills down everyone's spine."
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Later, one of the jumpers present said, "It was a moment that sent chills down everyone's spine."

Still does the same with my spine :)

And I think the span was 100 meters before they built that dam.

Fido

I still consider canopy-out exits to be BASE jumps. If the canopy is over your head and at least partially inflated at the launch point, it's a foot launch, and not a BASE jump. If you've performed a TARD, rollover, etc, then you know that it's a BASE jump. Your canopy isn't flying yet.

If your canopy can't save your life at the launch point, and a it is freefall that gets it flying over your head, then I say it's a BASE jump. Even a TARD takes so long to inflate that the fall would otherwise result in death or serious injury. In other words -- freefall with less than linestretch over your head -- I log as a BASE jump.

>>I believe Carl Boenish originally defined a BASE jump as one which requires a canopy in a container<<

I think what he said was, "packed," and not, "packed in a container." It's why direct bag jumps can be called BASE jumps. I think Tards and McConkeys are BASE jumps too as it's not like you just hang the parachute over the side and go, you stand there wiggling the lines and moving fabric until it's basically pro packed without being S-folded. That's packed in my opinion. I think a more modern definition would be that a BASE jump is when the parachute is not pre-inflated.

Carl said "packed" to differentiate from the early bridge jumps he was doing Coney Island style. He built a metal hoop about 15-foot across and affixed it horizontally off a sub-hundred-foot bridge. An open round parachute was then clothes pinned to the hoop and this is how Ritchie S. made his very first jump. The lines went up in a "U" shape to the jumper who is standing next to the hoop. Ritchie called these jumps Hoop & Poops.

Carl was a progressive fellow who would have come in time to call the new hybrid deployments BASE jumps as well . . . And yes, Jean didn't like the acronym B.A.S.E. and lobbied hard for B.E.S.T. She especially didn't like the second definition of BASE which is, "evil and vile."

NickD :)BASE 194

Carl said "packed" to differentiate from the early bridge jumps he was doing Coney Island style. He built a metal hoop about 15-foot across and affixed it horizontally off a sub-hundred-foot bridge. An open round parachute was then clothes pinned to the hoop and this is how Ritchie S. made his very first jump. The lines went up in a "U" shape to the jumper who is standing next to the hoop. Ritchie called these jumps Hoop & Poops.

I have a jump in my log book where I used this technique on a very low jump (it was indoors, and I was scared enough about it that I dragged over foam pits from the gymnastics area and put them below the exit). I was too lazy to build a structure, but just clothes pinned the canopy to the handrail of a catwalk. I think I'm going to have to go back and write in "Hoop and Poop" or maybe "Coney Island" where I've noted the deployment method.

It's all personal anyway. If you think it was a BASE jump for you, then call it such. If you don't feel like it counts, then don't. I've even talked to at least one person who thinks wingsuit flights ought to be logged in a separate book, because they're so different from "regular" BASE jumps.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If we go with "not pre-inflated" then just draping it over the edge is a BASE jump. On wing suits not being BASE, well, there is a fine line somewhere out there when we'll cease being jumpers and start being aircraft. Felix's crossing the English channel with the hard wings came close to that. Is the fellow who pulls the ripcord on his parachute equipped Cirrus airplane a BASE jumper?

Tom's right though, BASE is whatever it is to you. To me BASE is a bridge in the middle of nowhere, a few belly down delays, some beer, some girls, and a decent sunset . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

It's all personal anyway. If you think it was a BASE jump for you, then call it such.

I thought the rule was a BASE jump means "going packed". Being as well hung as I am I consider stepping off a kerb "going packed"...so do the ladies.

Thank you ladies...;)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

i say its skydive,but who cares,Dexter says im looging them as BASE aswell:D

as tom said,were it fun? if so great...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Is it just me or did that take a LONG time to open? :o especially from 40 meters!

I think it was more like a tard or rollover (not bagged) but still.

I am thinking it might have deployed better if they would have had a packed rig... a little extra speed might have helped those openings, doing a S/L of course...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

No it wasn´t long.Some of the jumpers had even longer opening;)
The canopy was not packed at all. They only layed it on the bridge, held the stows in hands and jumped. After first jumper - the other jumpers were jumping with wet canopy.
Hanka
PS= and yes, it was fun:)
AFFcentrum.cz

awesome video, looked like his fit were only about 5 foot off the water when the canopy fully inflated lol
:)

pbla read his first post

Download video here and rename the file to Beda.avi: