GARYC24

Beginning accuracy

Okay, I don't have ANY experience on accuracy landings besides license requirements.
Would getting a pd7cell 218 be good enough to start of with? compete with as a beginner?
I am ~190 no gear, 550 jumps.
The reason I ask is that I won this 35% discount off any main canopy from PD..
I'm putting together a 2nd rig already..and cannot afford to get a Classic, full-hardcore accuracy canopy!
So, maybe this will get me in the air practicing alot sooner.
Gary Calhoun

Gary, Seriously, that is too small for you. I'll sell you my 305 Challenger in a Centaurus (70 jumps) with reserve for $999.99. :)
Ed

Okay, I don't have ANY experience on accuracy landings besides license requirements.
Would getting a pd7cell 218 be good enough to start of with? compete with as a beginner?
I am ~190 no gear, 550 jumps.
The reason I ask is that I won this 35% discount off any main canopy from PD..
I'm putting together a 2nd rig already..and cannot afford to get a Classic, full-hardcore accuracy canopy!
So, maybe this will get me in the air practicing alot sooner.
Gary Calhoun

Seriously dude, 218 square feet is too small for accuracy competition at your weight.
I also weigh 190 pounds naked and would not seriously consider BASE jumping or competing in accuracy without a canopy in the 250 to 300 square foot range.
Sure I competed with a 180 square foot Strato-Star and a 230 square foot Strato-Cloud, but that was 20 pounds ago and my neither my sprained ankle nor sprained thumb have ever fully healed.

Try asking Performance Designs to sell you a 253 square foot 7-cell main canopy, or ask them if they are willing to sew a bridle attachment point onto a 281 reserve.
Hint, it is far easier to sew the bridle attachment on before the center cell is closed.

Okay.
How's this sound? a Parafoil 252 for ~$150?
Now, would that be good enough for a beginner to play with and see if they want to continue?:)I may used the 35% discount for a rw zp canopy like a Sabre or Spectre.
Thanks for info/reply.
Gary Calhoun

Decisions, decisions.
Here's what I got. Using this 35% discount I got.
I could order from PD brand new PD 7-cell main253
for $886 my price
(10 weeks delivery time upon order)
or
I could by from dz friend a 252 parafoil (10 yr old kept in good condition!) for around $100-150!
I could have that in 2 months! Complete gear!

Or wait 2 months then order the brand new one!

And use the coupon for different canopy
Spectre 170 for $1172

I'll have 2 rigs 1 for rw 1 for accuracy practice
If i get into it, then later I will buy a brand new Classic.(like next year!)
But until then I'm looking for quicker, least expensive way..
Any ideas?

Thanks for reply.
Down deep I would really like the parafol.
I will have to have rigger inspect it tho.
That will get me in the air practicing alot sooner than the other route.
Like I said I'm just beginning to adventure into this aspect of "accuracy" stuff..I may not like it or become good enough..I don't know! haha( I think)
I have gotten some good responses from these boards and past post regarding topic.
I'll keep in touch, later.
Gary Calhoun

I seem to remember that the recommened loadings for Classic's and Foils is about .65-.75. You might want to look and see if the 252 is too small still. I'm 200 out the door and was told I should look at a 280-290 sized canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com