sfzombie13

smoke stack questions

i was wondering if anyone has done any smoke stacks at powerplants? i have dreamed of jumping off one since i was little, and was wondering if anyone else had done them. i'm not a base jumper, still a student skydiver.

Not at a power plant but I have jumped smoke stacks before. The thing to remember about them is that they tend to spew toxic crap out of the top of them. If a stack is really tall, then you can assume that the shit coming out of the top is so bad that the owners want it to get as far away from them as possible and have decided to do it by getting the smoke as high up as they could so that the upper winds would carry it away.
I will never again jump a smoke stack. Even one that is out of service. The last time I did, I felt it in my lungs for weeks

Nope, those aren't jumpable;).

Unless you jump INTO a smoke stack. Then it's easy. When you deploy, the parachute jams the tube and safely stops you just inches from the owen.

Yep, I got very sick and came down with bronchitis immediately after jumping a 1300' stack. Winds from a nearby cooling tower were blowing into the top of our stack. We were gagging and throwing up near the top. I think I shaved about 5 years off my life that day.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

True dat.

Me n Skypunk were retching after climbing to the first 300' catwalk of one of these things. They're fun to jump but awful to climb. Take a face mask / ventilator / large roach to combat the effects.

:)
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.