PhreeZone

10 cops respond to reports of jumping

My google alerts caught this one:

3 parachuted from XXXXXXX tower, witness says

XXXXXXXX police are investigating a report that at least three people parachuted from the top of the XXXXXXXXX tower early yesterday morning.

A Seattle man reported seeing three parachutes from BASE jumpers fluttering down from the tower, which is under construction at XXXXXXXXXXX., across from XXXXXXXXX. About 10 police officers responded to the 3:54 a.m. report, but the jumpers apparently had fled before police arrived, XXXXXXX police spokesman Michael Chiu said.

The tower, the tallest building in XXXXXXXXX, is about 450 feet tall.

BASE stands for the types of objects from which jumpers parachute: Building, Antenna, Span (bridge), Earth (cliff). Chiu said BASE jumping is dangerous and illegal and that people caught jumping from buildings may be arrested for trespassing.

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-274-6313.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Anyone with information can call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-274-6313.

Maybe the cops up there have more time on their hands but when I got busted the cop who took me into the station thought the whole thing was a complete waste of his time.

McGruff says: "Help take a bite out of crime...."

:P

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Chiu said BASE jumping is dangerous and illegal

Another bit of un-educated journalism... Dangerous, Yes... illegal... not all the time...

Its like saying sex is illegal... well certain positions are....:P:$;)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

The arresting officers in my case were pretty easy going, too. (They didn't even show up for the court date.) They just wanted to give us a ticket and let us go, but the Leuitenant that showed up made sure they booked us.

Overnights in County Jail suck ass.

The person that posted this… Why would you post this?

And you that have replied… Why would you reply to this post?

Taunt the cops and you only make you life worse in the future when they bust you!

Why post an article like this that only helps the cops do their job. It’s only going to take one dipshit, with a detailed profile, that want’s to brag that they know these guys to get these guys busted. So why post this information?

My opinion would have been different if the article read “Three men arrested”… Even then it’s not wise to post when legal prosecution is pending…

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

Please link the original article.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

It provides a useful lesson in that:

(a) it shows that just being seen can lead to more heat,
(b) it puts folks on notice that the building and area are a bit hot,
(c) it provides a general object lesson for potentially useful general discussion.

If the news is going to carry it for other folks, there is definitely some notice value for jumpers to hear about it as well.

I agree with you that if anyone knew these guys, it would be foolish to advertise that fact publicly.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Please link the original article.

Please don't.

Those that are interested enough can surely find it. Less information in fewer places seen by fewer people is better in this case.

Thanks.

Whenever you consider to post something incident related, ask yourself if this can help the base community in any possible way. More often than not, it can't.

Duh. :)

I would hope that most scenes are tight enough that locals will inform each other when they suspect heat. A couple of phone-calls is all it takes. And surely visitors will always get in touch with the locals first, right?

(c) it provides a general object lesson for potentially useful general discussion.

That's true.

Duh. :)

Yes, but how many people reading this don't really realize that?

I've met lots of jumpers who need reinforcing on the idea that just being seen _by anyone_ is not a good idea.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Those that are interested enough can surely find it. Less information in fewer places seen by fewer people is better in this case.

Yep. Suppresion of information is going to do wonders for educating either the public, or jumpers.

Yep. Suppresion of information is going to do wonders for educating either the public, or jumpers.

I would hope that most of my post leave the impression that I'm in strong favour of sharing information on these boards as much as possible. However, in this particular instance I fail to see who is helped. Tom pointed out three reasons, but I don't find them very compelling. If I'm overlooking another good reason, please point it out.

I guess my point is the article is avaliable in a widely accessable place. Without adding information to it, sharing it here can serve to wake those andother jumpers to the fact their actions may not be without effect even if they didn't get caught.

Edit: Since I don't google search things like that on a regular basis, I would have not heard about it if it hadn't ended up here.

sharing it here can serve to wake those other jumpers to the fact their actions may not be without effect even if they didn't get caught.

Mmmm, good point. Fair enough. Thanks!

diablopilot--

The only lesson to learn here is don't be seen... But since buildings so happen to exist in cities, that’s not entirely possible… So the lesson here is don’t post jackass posts that help the cops!

Tom--

Come on now Tom… You and I know that it’s the job of the person who made this object hot to notify the local population. But if you arguing that this notifies others outside the local group, then this is their bad for not first contacting the locals…

So all in all, the only thing that could possibly be is the usual, “contact the locals” before you jump! And we definitely don’t need these bullshit posts to accomplish that point!

SO how does that post in anyway help the cops?

But since buildings so happen to exist in cities, that’s not entirely possible…

I disagree, and even if not so, all possible effort MUST be taken to make it so.

I once had some guys tell me that had made a jump at a relatively high profile object in Northern Caliifornia. They had apparently been seen by someone and chased but it was "all cool, because we got away." They didn't seem to realize that their "jump and chase" experience had made it harder for other people to jump that site, even though it had been reported to law enforcement. Putting stories like this on forums like this one can help disabuse people of this sort of notion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

About 10 police officers responded to the 3:54 a.m. report, but the jumpers apparently had fled before police arrived, XXXXXXX police spokesman Michael Chiu said.

so is it possible that the jumpers themselves may not be aware that the police were even called?

they might have thought the jump went unnoticed...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

If it's on the news, I would suspect the people involved are aware.

Edit: phat phingered ... again.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Come on now folks...

Then the start of the post should have read "Anyone from this location can you contact me...".

Have common sense people...

Then discuss it in another forum that is not pending legal investigation...

Tom, I'm not impressed with your lack of common sense in this topic...

I have just been informed by Tom via a PM that if I wouldn’t have attacked his buddy PhreeZone , he would have pulled the post at my request. That reply from Tom has further validated how much common sense is lacking here.

People, just because these guys are not in your crew doesn’t mean their not your BASE brothers. So don’t take learning a petty lesson over the legal pain you’re going to cause them with this post and your replies.

Tom, my response to your PM is… I will always attack posts that lack common sense and can hurt my fellow BASE brothers!