MarkSin

Strange packjob

Can anyone explain how this packjob is packed and why it is packed this way?
It's from fastpete's website from the Heli boogie. (Hope you don't mind Pete)
http://www.pete.fi/gallery/Heliboogie-2005/20050619_154003
Sorry I don't know how to make it clicky.
Mark.

The material between the A-B, B-C, and C-D line groups have been folded on top of the flaked tail. I know a few people that pack this way as an additional measure to promote nose-first inflation.

Mark

is it nose first on terminal jumps only?

if you pack it any other way why woldnt you get nose first inflation following top skin lift off?

has there been any video coparison of the openings made between that mehod and "normal".

IMHO i can only see that it could induce more damage to the canopy if the S fold is the same as other methods...

interesting...not discounting it as valid but would like to know more.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Martin Tilley of AsylumBASE introduced that pack job many years ago. It's slowly being used by more and more people.

About 4 years ago I watched an employee of Asylum (prior to them splitting off from Consolidated Rigging) perform that pack job. It made sense so I adopted it from then on and modified it a little.

As it was shown to me, the parachute is propacked as usual, the tail flaked out as usual. Long fold the each side of the tail upward then wrap the rest of the tail around only the tail.

take the a-b. b-c, c-d folds and long fold them in half, then up over the top of the tail.

The variant I'm using is longfolding the c-d and flaked tail at the same time. Then wrapping the tail around the C-D Tail bundle. The A-B and B-C group is then long folded in half like before and then over the tail.

It's very easy to control the canopy this way. It also encourages nose first inflation. The Nose and Tail have little chance of interfering with each other so it assists with lineover prevention as well.

It's the same pack job I use slider up and down no matter what the delay. Nose control is the only change depending on the delay.

If you watch it from the top on a go and throw, it's easy to see it start to unfold in the back. The tail pretty much stays put until the canopy begins to inflate and then blammo.

I passed the pack job on to several people that use it now. According to Tom, Yuri was one of the first people to use it but I don't know where he learned it.

Perhaps Martin will comment on it?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yuri Kuznetsov has also been using this packjob for at least 6 years (since the first time I saw him pack). And I believe there was a post here somewhere about a rigger in Europe who had written it up and called it something or other.

Perhaps DexterBASE can scan and post the write up he did of it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah.. the hong hookitt paraguay faber pack :)

Next time I pack, I'll take some photos with my phone... sorry that's the only digital I have at the moment. Might be awhle, the winds are less than cooperative this week.

Is there any evdience that this pack job out preforms the traditional pack job? (In terms of onheading preformance) I can see where it should help control steering lines until the nose has started to inflate.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

I will do up a step by step document (packing directions) with pics if anyone is interested. My rig needs to be packed tomorrow anyhow. (Mysteriously became unpacked today;))

Less chance of lineover, not necessarily a higher chance of better heading performance. This packjob as far as I know predated the tailgate. By restricting the tail inflation, the chance of a lineover is minimized, except for modifications such as the tailgate and Adam Fillippinnoo's (obvious mispelling).
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

> It's the same pack job I use slider up and down no matter what the delay. Nose control is the only change depending on the delay.
I use a variation of it, half way between "your" pack job and "standard" pack job.
I start packing as usual. Then, when it's time to reduce the bundle in half width, I fold individually each of the A-B, B-C and C-D folds towards the front (towards the ground when packing), NOT the three together, just one by one (just be careful when folding frontward the A-B to NOT cover the nose!).
Then, when it's time to wrap the tail, I wrap the center tail around the tail bundle only, then I keep everything net and tidy with clamps.
This way, the A-B, B-C, C-D and tail portions of pack job come simultanesously free to "enlarge", indipendently, without tail portion to slightly refrain the front portion as per standard pack job.
This is the pack job that I jump for every jump of mine (I have been using it for years, now), both with and without slider (variations for slider on/off and very short/short/subterminal/terminal delays apply on nose folds).
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I will do up a step by step document (packing directions) with pics if anyone is interested.

Yes, I would really appreciate. I saw this packjob the first time from Hans in Norway and it makes sense in my eyes. I did not have time to follow Hans through every step though.
I guess clamps are mandatory for this packjob? The upward folds will not hold without clamps I reckon...

My rig needs to be packed tomorrow anyhow. (Mysteriously became unpacked today;))

Yeah, the same happened to me at the weekend. Just walked up a mountain with my rig which I happened to take with me, and suddenly I found myself in the air flying towards the talus ... weird ;)
Thus, I also need to pack anyway...

Thanks, Eduard.

--
Eduard

the pics posted in the thread previously mentioned here is from Hans (or Hong as we call him). He showed me the packjob last summer, and i have been packing like that since. Works great on both slider down and slider up.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.oslobase.no

I guess clamps are mandatory for this packjob?

Nah, they're not mandatory. If for some reason you don't have clamps just do this.

After you wrap the long folded C-D and Flaked tail portion. Just leave the A-B and B-C layers alone.

Stow the lines, Pull the rig under the pack job, and then fold the A-B and B-C layers upward.

Yes. Hans was the name, now i remember !!!

Pete

Interesting. It makes some sense. Gotta try it.

I have been using the Tom Aiello's 101 12 clamp-4 bungie-2 nail-2-closing loop job for a while. It has been working really well despite the fact that I made so much fun of it! Shame on me ;)
Memento Audere Semper

I have been using the Tom Aiello's 101 12 clamp-4 bungie-2 nail-2-closing loop job for a while. It has been working really well...

Me too. It works grrrreat! ;)