cornishe

Protest Jump in NPS

Are you will to jump in an organized 150+ jumper illegal event in NPS land to protest the Aerial Delivery law being applied to BASE Jumping?

SERIOUSLY ANSWER. Yes means you are willing to pay a fine of $2500 or more, willing to chip in for a community attorney, willing to get to, possibly, the other side of the country (or world), and willing to hike... alot. ;-)

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

If I didn't have a bust there already on my record, I'd love to help. However, if I get popped there again, I'm afraid they'll max me out. That crime carries a maximun sentence of 5 years in jail.

My name is Nick Di Giovanni. I live at 1880 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, California, 92101. Come and get me now, or deal with me later . . .

NickD
BASE 194

Yes and no. I'm broke.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>>frankj23

Jul 6, 2005, 3:37 PM

Post #20 of 54 (215 views)
Copy Shortcut

Re: [TomAiello] Check This . . . [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is stupid, but I still wonder.
What if 100 or 200 BASE jumpers all showed up at El Cap and started jumping, just like at Kjerag in Norway?

No official notice, no promise to get arrested....no using somebody else's gear...and no notice to the media, unless a jumper has a lead to somebody who will for sure write a sympathetic article.

I just wonder.....it is a dream, but why not dream?<<
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count me in (it was my idea, after all:)FJ

Willing to get busted? is this manditory, if one were to escape the grasp of a ranger or two, does one need to turn themselves in?

As for the lawyer, I will precontribute whatever price is set (to a resonable level) so we have them ready to go.

I have multiple photos of jumps within the NPS on my website...www.jimmyhalliday.com

Not only am I fully in on any type of thing that may or may not happen there, but I have the resources to make sure the entire world sees the footage, so I'll even risk the "no filming withing the NPS without a permit" bust. Since I got this HD camera, I could care less about my 3chip DVcam camera.

The NPS rules are so rediculous and so arbitrary that I'm ready to sue the NPS based on the fact that they are hindering my constitutionary right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

As an aspiring photographer and filmaker, why should I have to spend American money that I make legally in America, and pay taxes on, to travel to a foreign country to get shots that I could get two hours from where I live and work? Last year's trip to Norway was probably $3500 USD total. Shouldn't that money stay in the states?

I will always jump on NPS soil, and that does not make me a criminal.

In other words, I'm in.

Oh, by the way. Both myself and my father have made jumps off a cliff that is very famous to rock climbers and base jumpers alike. My dad's number is 77. I don't know what mine would be. Has anyone ever heard of a father and son both jumping that rock?

-jimmy halliday

If you get away, that's great! If everyone gets out that's even better!

Maybe the first load could be a 10way... so at least its not 100% that the first guy off gets busted.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

If I didn't have a bust there already on my record, I'd love to help. However, if I get popped there again, I'm afraid they'll max me out. That crime carries a maximun sentence of 5 years in jail.

If you are going to do a jump with 150 jumpers it will be very difficult, if not impossible, for the NPS to catch all the jumpers involved (unless you all give yourself in offcouse). If they know nothing about date and location beforehand and can only catch a small number of jumpers (let's say 10), the NPS is going to be a 'bit' frustrated and pissed.
I fear that these ten jumpers will get the full load (maximum charge) and will probably get a very severe sentence (money, jail). So, I think the question ain't if you are willing to get busted, but if you are willing to spend some time in jail, possibly for nothing.

I think you need to change the mind of the general population towards basejumping, instead of trying to change the mind of the NPS dirrectly. To them it is normal that you get busted, because afterall, for them basejumping is something crazy, reckless and pointless. How do you think the general population would think if basejumping became legal? If you change the mind of the general public, you change the mind of the politicians, and will eventually change the mind of the NPS. I know it is a long way, and succes is defineltly not guarenteed.

Anyway, just imagine, 150 jumpers together in a court room (is there a court room in the US large enough? :P) I think this would to more then a protest jump were everybody escapes. (this would just piss the NPS even more).
In the end, I think a protest jump on that scale will do more harm then good. :S

Thijs

hahaha crazy stuff, would be funny to see 150 people jump.

what would be smart would be if there is a town close by,
then ya's could get some kind of current affair show to cover the few days and ram it down into 15 minutes of tv.

first of al;l 150 jumpers could all stay in the near by town and all spend $200 each that way the show can say that by having jumpers there just 1 day it brought $30k to the small community.
this would show that everyone is better off by this jumping.
How ever if some1 got hurt on the jump this would be the worse case ya's could ever put forward.

is there a law against walking around in the park with a parachute out of a container if you arnt jumping?
cos if not then ya's could have about 1,000 skydivers at the landing area all with there canopys out ready to pack away.
that way if 150 BASE jumpers land amongst one thousend people with there canopys out no one will be able to tell who jumped and who didn't and no1 could get charged because there would be a large ammount of reasonable doubt of who jumped.

and when everyone gets questioned they could simply say
"no I never jumped I was just here for the visual colour display, we set all the canopys up for a bright colour photo, then someone said cameras arnt allowed so we ended up not taking any photos at all and as we were about to pack up someone said some jumpers landed amongst us but by the time I looked around all I could see was other people with there canopys out for the Visual Colour DIsplay"

now that would be funny.
and are camera's really not allowed ?
or is it just video filming equipment or what ?

How about have 150 jumpers show up and offer to pay a reasonable sum of money to have rights to jump NPS land (or even just a specific exit point) for a year? Maybe I'm way off here, I have no handle on these kind of things, that money may be very attractive to NPS, or they may laugh at it (it may be nothing compared to the cost of a rescue).

Before trying a protest jump, make sure you have tried everything else. How many BASE jumpers are in the US? How many have written letters to the proper people asking permission, or for a change in the laws? Hell, I don't BASE (yet), but I'd write a letter if I knew where and how. How about all BASE jumpers do this, and get a few skydiver friends to do it too (triple your numbers - they don't know the difference between sky and BASE)! And do it every week for the next 8 years! (ever seen Shawshank Redemption?)

Tom, is it a bad idea to have a sticky thread in this forum with simple instructions (for political idiots like me) on where and how to write a polite letter asking for permission to jump, or for a change in the laws?

How about you start off just asking for access to one exit point? (this way they have less environmental concerns)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

As a thief and a liar, it goes against me amoral code to get caught let alone give myself up.

Sorry...can't help.

But good luck.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

I'm all over organizing, I'll even offer myself up for arrest in the landing area by running interference so jumpers can get away, I feel that strongly about the discriminatory practices of the NPS.

Unfortunately at this time I don't have the required training to jump...yet.

As a thief and a liar, it goes against me amoral code to get caught let alone give myself up.

Sorry...can't help.

But good luck.

What are we with out our principles?

I'm all over it, too. 2025 is too long to wait. An anniversary of the first jump/bust seems appropriate, but it's probably better to go the sneak attack route and have jumpers in the air before they even know there's a protest going on.

Get 100-200 jumpers that each pitch 100 bucks into a legal fund, plus they each bring 2 "millers" to hang out in the landing area as decoys and we've got something... probably just an extra conviction for "unlawful gathering" or something else equally anti-Freedom, but it's something.

Tom, is it a bad idea to have a sticky thread in this forum with simple instructions (for political idiots like me) on where and how to write a polite letter asking for permission to jump, or for a change in the laws?

Go here. It's very easy.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

When and there I'm there and I'll pick up Nick on my way.E:)

Go here. It's very easy

as long as you live in the US - it didn't like my UK pastcode! What about the rest of us? I don't have a congressman or senator but those of the states with the toys in and the NPS can be written to by us.

Jules

You dont have to give yourself up. But be prepared to get caught. A number of folks will.

Dont be such a limey pussy. Maybe if you saq up and do this, JenEjen will finally break you off. ;)

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

People have been "asking" for years.

There aren't any more environmental concerns than there are already with climbers and ballsy hikers that are all over the exit points already.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE