Colm

Writing letters - Expand the BD window!

I'm really excited about my first trip to Bridge Day this year.

After reading Jason Bell's web page regarding the proposed expanded jump plan, I decided to finally do something productive today. So I finished up some letters I'm mailing in support of his proposal. His proposal, which was rejected by the West Virginia Department of Highways a few months ago, can be viewed at the link below along with other pertinent information.

I'm posting my letters on this forum in TXT format, just to encourage others to send letters too. If you think these don't suck too much, feel free to fit them to your needs, or use as is.

Thanks to Jason for feedback on the idea and some useful links. I wrote letters to the following:

Mr Paul Mattox
Commissioner, WV Department of Highways
Building 5
1900 Kanawha Blvd East
Charleston, WV 25305-0430

Governor Joe Manchin III
1900 Kanawha Blvd East
Charleston, WV 25305

Fayette County Chamber of Commerce
310 Oyler Ave
Oak Hill, WV 25901

And if anyone posts some good addresses here I'll gladly write more. Please, write one yourself too! This should be enough to help even the laziest writer get started. Sheesh, do you want someone to sign it and stamp the envelope for you too? :D

Here is Jason's clicky, plus some others.

http://www.bridgeday.info/legal365.php

http://www.fayettecounty.com/

http://www.wvgov.org/

I'm glad to see other jumpers getting involved in this. Thanks.

Yes, the DOH has turned me down. They think there will be rubbernecking ON the bridge when we are jumping UNDER the bridge. They didn't even take the time to read my proposal in full because I've attempted to address all their potential concerns.

We're implementing an automated letter writing system later this month that is similar to the one the ABP is using. And the live TV broadcast at Bridge Day this year should feature my attempts to expand jumping here. Hopefully that'll wake some people up. It's too bad my state (West Virginia) focuses more on legalizing gambling than making NRGB jumps legal.

My next step is to request one hour of legal jumps. How can they say no to that? Rubbernecking won't be a problem and I can at least prove to them that it's a win-win for all involved. Then we can progress to additional days, weekends, and possibly more.

Fortunately, more and more local businesses and even the Chamber of Commerce are backing my plan. So, I'll continue the fight until somebody gets smart and opens the catwalk to us. Feel free to post your tips and comments here.

Thanks.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Jason,

Would it be worth writing in from Australia in support? Or would they not really even consider it because i'm not local?

Anything to further the cause of legal BASE in any country...

Actually, writing from Australia would be the MOST beneficial because it would show them that people from all over the world would financially support legal jumping.

Many thanks.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only