AggieDave

4000ft Glass B

Yes your right but why add a means by which they can furtuer the poverty that is already found among so many of their people

I think a better idea, one which would be respectful to the Navajo and just generally be the right thing to do, would be to have a sponsored event in which the proceeds go back to the tribe for various social causes.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I think their original drinking problem came from seeing their culture disseminated, being shuffled onto reservations, having no meaningful work to do, and generally having no hope. Christ, I'd need a drink after that too . . .

A toast to our brothers and sisters who got ROYALLY shafted by The Man. >:(

- Z

Quote from Zennie: I think a better idea, one which would be respectful to the Navajo and just generally be the right thing to do, would be to have a sponsored event in which the proceeds go back to the tribe for various social causes.

- Z

Response from me:
Super idea. Let's make it happen.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

A note to all (just responding to Zennie because it's convenient):

Let's try to keep the political discussions in Speaker's Corner, ok?

I'd hate this thread to turn into a long diatribe about Indian rights, gaming on reservations, or whatever.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

But the bridge has been engineered to withstand 100-mile per hour winds, magnitude 8 earthquakes -- and hold the weight of 71-jumbo jetliners.

Uh...71 jumbo jetliners. I hate to be an engineer but I don't think so.
Quote from another site. "It is an engineering marvel with six-inch steel pillars that are drilled eighty feet into the mountain." Six inch steel just isn't THAT strong. If it's 80 feet into the side of the cliff and 60 feet out that a 0.75:1 lever arm at the end. Ok if you assume the force on the 80 foot side is in the middle then it's 1.5:1, even worse. Oh hell, you get the idea. Right?

maybe they meant cessna's but it just didnt have a good ring to it.:P

Or perhaps 71 jumbos one after the other, not simultaneously ;)

A fantastic glass bridge

Well, technically, glass "S".

I think personally I'd call it an "E" with a man-made overhang.

so, if i'm understanding this right, if i jumped it i would only have to jump an A to get my BASE number...:)

so, if i'm understanding this right, if i jumped it i would only have to jump an A to get my BASE number...

Heh. If you jumped an A, on top of a B, that was on the edge of an E that passed by an S... hell yeah... get 'em all in one shot. ;)

- Z

Oh hell, you get the idea. Right?

Yeah I do, but honestly I don't care. Since I tend to gloss over those sorts of statements by the media. Know why? The media wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground if they...actually, you know what? I don't think the media actually does know their ass from a hole in the ground.:D

Besides, earth its self has fallen away from 100mph winds, 8.0 quakes and 71 jumbo can-can dancers, let alone jet liners, who says a building can handle all three with no worry.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

why jump this thing when you could just jump the beautiful wall they are disfigering to build it. They are the NPS they are suppose to protect this land not build SH*^ on it

just my 2 cents...............

Hell your taxes are paying for it not mine do what you like!

No problem Tom I wasn't trying to start a fight.
One avenue that might help is if we can first find some one of Navajo blood who is sympathetic to our cause.

I graduated from Fort Lewis College in Durango last year. While there, I sang with the Native American Choir and was able to make some contacts. Even though I'm Cherokee instead of Dine, those contacts might be willing to listen based off the work I did with the choir.

I'd be willing to pitch something to them if it was totally respectful of the tribe and its beliefs AND did something positve for the tribe.

No promises, but I'd be willing to try. And who knows, maybe by the time something got worked out, I'd have enough BASE experience to go for my E. :)
-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

why jump this thing when you could just jump the beautiful wall they are disfigering to build it. They are the NPS they are suppose to protect this land not build SH*^ on it

just my 2 cents...............

Hell your taxes are paying for it not mine do what you like!

To my knowledge, Indian land is not controled by the US... :S

Anyway check out the website for it:

http://www.destinationgrandcanyon.com/skywalk.html

added:

Package options: available on all packages
• Skywalk $74.95 from the completion thru June 07, $99.95 as of July 1 2007.
• Horseback ride along the canyon rim traditional $59 and extended $79
• Hummer Off-Road Adventure original $59 and extended $89
• Helicopter/Hummer $169 • Helicopter/float trip $149

Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Here's a look from Google Earth, I can't find the exact LAT/LON for the Skywalk (anyone?) but, I think it's somewhere in here.

Also, look at this page and the video about halfway down. At 1:09 you can see a photo hanging on the wall showing a downward view. If this was a totally shear cliff they would be showing that view more.

http://www.thegreenhead.com/2005/08/glass-bottomed-grand-canyon-skywalk.php

Although the Grand Canyon has jumpable spots (especially with a wing suit) the problem has always been finding a way out of the canyon. You'd either need a waiting raft, and then hours, maybe even days of river travel to get out, or you need a helicopter. However, these days aircraft can no longer fly below the rim of the canyon never mind landing down there . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Although the Grand Canyon has jumpable spots (especially with a wing suit) the problem has always been finding a way out of the canyon.

We just need a little bit more powerful jet engines. Jump, enjoy the unpowered flight, turn the engines at 200ft, climb up 4000ft and pull over the plateau.

Parachute: $2,000.
Wingsuit: $1,000.
Jet engines: $10,000.

The look on ranger's face as you buzz him just 20ft away...

PRICELESS. :)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Although the Grand Canyon has jumpable spots (especially with a wing suit) the problem has always been finding a way out of the canyon.

We just need a little bit more powerful jet engines. Jump, enjoy the unpowered flight, turn the engines at 200ft, climb up 4000ft and pull over the plateau.

Parachute: $2,000.
Wingsuit: $1,000.
Jet engines: $10,000.

The look on ranger's face as you buzz him just 20ft away...

PRICELESS. :)

hmmmm.... i have a lot of ideas involving just that.
but no jet engines, and a very different BASE canopy.

of course, this only works if Nick DG was correct about te LZ being the only part that matters in NPS laws, and i kinda dont buy that. i think that a launch from NPS areas would be just as prosecuted. i dont know though... anyone?

-SPACE-

i think that a launch from NPS areas would be just as prosecuted. i dont know though... anyone?

As yet untested in court. There has been one case of jumpers launching from NPS land and landing outside NPS land, and still being busted. They plea bargained rather than fighting the case, so we don't know how a judge would have ruled on the idea that you could be delivering yourself out of the park.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>>this only works if Nick DG was correct about te LZ being the only part that matters in NPS laws, and i kinda dont buy that<<

Tom said that, not me . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

With enough kerosene, we will prevail. The skies will be ours. It will become a federal offense to disturb the most rare bird in the universe - WS BASE Homo Sapiens.

:)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

No problem Tom I wasn't trying to start a fight.
One avenue that might help is if we can first find some one of Navajo blood who is sympathetic to our cause.

I graduated from Fort Lewis College in Durango last year. While there, I sang with the Native American Choir and was able to make some contacts. Even though I'm Cherokee instead of Dine, those contacts might be willing to listen based off the work I did with the choir.

I'd be willing to pitch something to them if it was totally respectful of the tribe and its beliefs AND did something positve for the tribe.

No promises, but I'd be willing to try. And who knows, maybe by the time something got worked out, I'd have enough BASE experience to go for my E. :)
-Blind

Three words: Canyon de C.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

completion date March of '07
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.

destinationgrandcanyon.com
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.