AggieDave

4000ft Glass B

If this thing is 4 grand.....what exactly, if anyone knows....does that face actually look like? Is it mostly vert or 1000' shear and then 40 miles of talus

Thanks in advance.
BK

If this thing is 4 grand.....what exactly, if anyone knows....does that face actually look like? Is it mostly vert or 1000' shear and then 40 miles of talus

I don't think it's even 1000' sheer. Word is that the rock drop is around 5-6 seconds. I wonder if a wingsuit could make it, though?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

From the article:
It's called the Skywalk, a horseshoe-shaped walkway that will jut from the canyon's lip and offer the kind of straight-down, vertigo-inducing views that had previously been available only to the likes of Wile E. Coyote.

I've had those kind of views.B|

75 ft out
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I emailed them this:
Hi there,

Is the skywalk complete yet? When will people be able to go out on to it? How big is the wall that keeps you from falling? I have two kids.

and got this back:
Thank you for your email regarding Grand Canyon West and The Skywalk at Grand Canyon West. May I ask how you heard about The Skywalk? The glass wall is about 5ft high on the sides.

The public should be able to access the glass bridge March 28, 2007.I have attached the latest press release announcing the Grand Opening of The Skywalk. I've included overnight accommodation information as well as attached a description on the Grand Canyon Overnight Express Package.

Grand Canyon West has some great things to see and do. There are helicopter tours to the bottom of the Canyon with boat rides on the river, off road Hummer Tours, an Indian Village with cultural performances, horse back riding and lunch on the canyon rim with the best view imaginable.
--------------------
So we might be able to get out via helicopter, horse, boat, and Hummer.;)

I emailed them this:
gud daiy,

is skywalk to be finish sune? wen will i be able to go out on to it to mak base jump? how big is the wall for falling? I have two rigs.

and got this back:
"Thank you for your email regarding Grand Canyon West and The Skywalk at Grand Canyon West. However we are unable to decifer any of the crap you have written. Please learn to read a write English properly or refrain from sending Emails. Thank you."

is this mean i can to jump ther?
my place i work

Okay, what gives! I had to read every post just to be sure I didn't repost another lame one. I can't believe nobody thought of this one...

Let's call it a little "s." That way you'll have all the BASE's' covered!:P

Is that lame or what?:)
(edited to fix my smiley)

If this thing's on tribal lands... is the tribe able to ensure that BASE is entirely legal from their bridge in the same way that some tribes have made gambling legal?

Not a chance. The landing area is what counts for aerial delivery.

Okay so then going back to the stunt junkies episode with the base rig out of the heli and the motorcycle off the grand canyon.. i thought i read somewhere they got away with that because it was indian territory.. so where he landed was not indian territory?

Okay so then going back to the stunt junkies episode...

Having never seen a single second of Stunt Junkies, I'm totally mystified by your question. Can you rephrase it so that someone who has zero knowledge of that show can follow it?

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Having never seen a single second of Stunt Junkies, I'm totally mystified by your question. Can you rephrase it so that someone who has zero knowledge of that show can follow it?

Thanks!

really?

Having never seen a single second of Stunt Junkies...!

really?

Yes. Really and truly. Not even the bits that get posted online and linked to this forum. I just don't have time.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Episode 22: WING SUIT BASE JUMP
In this never-before-attempted stunt, Luigi Cani will BASE jump off a cliff with a speed bike; however, instead of going down with the bike, with the help of a specially designed wing suit, he will fly up and away from the bike. Luigi is the only athlete known to date that has worked with the specially designed wing suit, which enables him to fly up and away from an object rather than down. Another twist? Luigi has never BASE jumped before! So, he'll need to start with a basic BASE jump course to prepare for the stunt. From there he will do several high-speed skydives wearing the special wing suit in order to train his body for flight position with great horizontal projection. Then, he will do test rides with the motorcycle wearing the special suit and the BASE harness to make sure that he will not be lifted up and off the motorcycle while riding at high speeds.
Premiere: Feb. 19, 2007

The cliff they speak of is the grand canyon. And prior to doing the stunt he jumps a base rig out of a helicopter

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure the Stunt Junkies crew uses a tributary of the Grand Canyon and not the canyon proper.

Not sure exactly where the glass lookout is either, but I think it's on the Grand Canyon itself and the two spots are a couple hundred miles away from each other.

It probably doesn't matter anyway, because the NPS will arrest you for even talking about a parachute regardless of jurisdiction.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

There are many legs of the Grand Canyon that pass outside the NPS boundary.

As for the helicopter, I don't know. I'd ask some skydiving experts and see how they managed that one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I'm guessing they might be able to get an exemption from parts of the FARs for the show.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations%5Fpolicies/rulemaking/petition/#exemptions

I Doubt it. One rig from an aircraft, not even a belly mount reserve? Highly unlikely considering the this caveat alone in the petition.....

Reasons why the exemption would not adversely affect safety, or how the exemption would provide a level of safety at least equal to the existing rule

Which is of course:

***Sec. 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness

That was not a base rig they jumped from the helicopter. Savvey?

That agency is inflexible.... believe me I know.....

_j