Trebec

Trying to make Base in moab illegal???

Couldn't sleep, and was watching the early show on NBC. I was working on my computer when i heard Base jumping mentioned on The T.V. The Lady talking said something about cracking down on Base jumping in Moab. They showed some footage of a real popular cliff close to town with a quick hike . Something about it being to dangerous. Also said something about base getting in the way of climbers using the cliffs to. Then went on to say its already illegal in all of the parks...I searched the NBC website and couldn't find anything. Has any one else heard any of this nonsense.
WTF

It's a shame the 1st ammendment doesn't mean what it used to.[:/]
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Can any of the Moab people comment on this, Clint, Jimmy, Marta?

What is the extend of the proposal? Is it the entire Moab area, or is it limited to specific areas?

Does anybody know if this is at all related to several recent incidents in the Moab area?

Is the base community at all in discussion with representatives from the climbing community to perhaps settle this without making laws? I have not ever heard a bad word from climbers about basejumpers, even if we used the same rock. I suspect that the government is just using them as an excuse to make a new law, and that the actual climbing-community couldn't care less.

Although some base jumpers are trying to shed their outlaw image, others glory in it. So it's not at all clear that a ban on base-jumping would have the intended effect.

Everybody enjoys a good James Bond movie, but to say that we glory in it? Nonsense... >:(

Another concern at Snow Canyon is the trampling of habitat used by the endangered Desert Tortoise.

Certainly not any more than the climbers and hikers do, right?

Is there anything we can do? Maybe call some people or write some letters?

Now would be a good time to become a member of the Alliance of Backcountry Parachutists! They have a membership for as little as 25 bucks, so there is no excuse. I know there have been groups with similar attempts in the past, but right now the ABP is the most active and most widely supported one, so leverage that!

Jaap - Never jumped in Moab but still looking forward to the Turkey Boogie - Suter

I would highly suggest that all BASE jumpers in that area attend the July 8th meeting. If you can't attend the meeting, then email, call, or write the parks and recreation board.

Does anyone remember when the NPS slipped the "BASE jumping is not appropriate" nomenclature in their 2001 Management Policies? Well, you shouldn't remember it, because when it went up for public comment, NOBODY responded. Not one jumper. And this 2001 NPS management policy is what is shutting us down right now.

I've not jumped these particular cliffs, but if only one cliff gets shut down, it'll start a domino effect and they'll have precedent. More cliffs could get shut down and then eventually our playgrounds are closed.

So who's going to the meeting? Anyone?

Park Info Here
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Just some clarification from Nick's article...

The article specifically mentions Snow Canyon State Park in southwestern Utah, which is just NW of Ivins, UT. The pictures in the article are of a well-known, oft-jumped E in Moab.

Are we jumping to conclusions here about one location vs. the other?

If we are, the differences in the two are that the majority of the heavily jumped E's in Moab are BLM land, while the area described in the article are Utah State Parks. Those are two distinctly separate "authorities".

"I do it and other base jumpers do it for the pure thrill, the adrenaline rush."

Personally, that's only a small part of why I jump, but once again, that's the statement the media's always looking for.

-C.

So who's going to the meeting? Anyone?

I'm willing to make the trek and be present, but I'd like to defer to the locals (are there any true locals) and be there in support. Having not jumped there, it's my thought that we should certainly be represented by some of those who have, if possible.

-C.

Also would ask jumpers to be "on there toes" saftey-wise for the next couple weeks, as a bad incident wouldnt help.

keep up the fight!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'm willing to make the trek and be present, but I'd like to defer to the locals (are there any true locals) and be there in support. Having not jumped there, it's my thought that we should certainly be represented by some of those who have, if possible.

It would really be nice if some of the Moab folks, especially Jimmy & Marta, could make a pitch for us.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I'm guessing that there will be several folks making it to the meeting.

The meeting is actually pretty much in SLC, so there are a bunch of jumpers there, plus it's close enough for a drive from TF, if anyone is going to be in town for the weekend and wants to head down.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

hey tom can you give me any info on where and time im living in SLC and would love to go.
dave...edge-ee#762

I don't post here much but this is to close to home! >:(

I don't think Snow Canyon is anywhere near Moab, about 350 miles away. BUT bad press either way is not good and you certainly don’t want a formal/legal precedent set against BASE jumping in Utah parks.

Is this something the ABP is fighting?

A good step is to better self regulate legal sites. Like trying to keep the people with to little experience from jumping off the LEGAL 400' cliffs in 25 mph winds and having to be MedEvac out costing the state $$$$.

Accidents happen but there are definitely ways to minimize the chance. And if you have to risk it all for nothing do it at an ILLEGAL site that wont impact the entire BASE world if the object gets closed.

Every time somebody gets busted up it, especially in TAX PAYER FUNDED PLACES, it translates into thousands more conservative ignorant viewers (if televised) taking up torches for a cause they don't understand.

I am sure there are far more biking, climbing, hiking, etc injuries in these parks but largely thanks to some previous "Parks" precedents BASE carries a very negative and dangerous stigma.

YES to Jason's point, let's not forget Yosemite used to be legal!

I'll try to adjust my travel plans and be in SLC next week too.

My 2 cents - Play safe,

Donk

hey tom can you give me any info on where and time im living in SLC and would love to go.

This is pretty much the official info from the horse's mouth (original writer's signature at bottom):

The Utah Board of Parks and Recreation will be meeting at Soldier Hollow Day Lodge on Friday July 8th to orient new board members recently appointed by Governor Huntsman and to conduct a few items of policy for the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation. The discussion of the Base Jumping is on a list of 5 items of discussion to be covered between 1:00pm and 1:40pm. ( It is the 3rd item on the list). After board discussion then the public is given time to share
information.

The Day Lodge is at Soldier Hollow South of Midway Utah in the Heber Valley.

Comments can be sent to the Utah Board of Parks and recreation at 1596 W N Temple Suite 116, PO Box 146001, SLC, Utah 84114-6001 or to this public comment e-mail address.

Gordon W. Topham, Deputy Director
Utah Division of Parks and Recreation
1594 West N. Temple, Suite 116
PO Box 146001
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6001
Phone (801)538-7323
FAX (801)538-7378
Cell (801)557-0706
e-mail address [email protected]

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Just for the record, although the picture is of pizza wall in Moab, this whole thing has absolutely nothing to do with Moab or the BLM directly. NBC just used a stock photo that they had. This is a site specific incident of jumping over a very popular climbing area. HOWEVER, everything is related and any attendance of jumpers at this meeting will have long reaching effects and is definitely recommended for whoever can make it.
Jimmy P
Apex BASE

The Utah Board of Parks and Recreation will be meeting at Soldier Hollow Day Lodge on Friday July 8th to orient new board members recently appointed by Governor Huntsman and to conduct a few items of policy for the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation. The discussion of the Base Jumping is on a list of 5 items of discussion to be covered between 1:00pm and 1:40pm. ( It is the 3rd item on the list). After board discussion then the public is given time to share information.

Having attended various kinds of meetings like this in the course of my career, my professional recommendation is that anyone who attends should work from written comments that you have presented to the board ahead of time.

In other words, write a letter, send it, and then make your oral comments brief but to the point. Don't get sidetracked and if you can't help but ramble, consider sticking to a written statement. Most important, address only the issues that the board is considering--do not bring in any extraneous information.

If you had had more notice, I would have suggested soliciting donations to retain legal counsel just for the purpose of attending the meeting. It's admittedly a load of horseshit, but even for that, dragging along the hired gun always seems to work with these kinds of entities. For some reason, it persuades them to take you more seriously.

rl

my professional recommendation is that anyone who attends should work from written comments that you have presented to the board ahead of time... I would have suggested soliciting donations to retain legal counsel just for the purpose of attending the meeting... For some reason, it persuades them to take you more seriously.

Having worked as an administrative lawyer in a previous life, and having attended and participated in (for the state govt) administrative proceedings such as this, I'll echo these sentiments.

Having written statements submitted in advance allows your comments and concerns to be part of the public record. Generally at meetings like this, testimony is not recorded and there is no stenographer, so if written statements aren't submitted beforehand, all that might wind up in the formal record is a synopsis of what you said... and those can oftentimes be distorted.

I also agree that commissions take those represented by counsel MUCH more seriously than those that just get up and testify. If it's just you, most committee members just see it as you blowing off steam... show up with a lawyer and they start wondering if you may actually make their lives and jobs more complicated by fighting.

The fact of the matter is, generally by the time these meetings are held, theirs minds have been made up. So the best you can do is have your objections be part of the public record and try to force a compromise by having the prospect of additonal proceedings loom over their heads.

Maybe we should start a collection to send Rick H out there... ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon