jasonwhack

Landing at 11,300ft

Anyone have any experience landing at 11,000 + ft? I have jumped in density altitude higher but the highest for true altitude would be 7,000ft. Any pointers would be great.

Jason
Jason
Darrow Said
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."

Get a really REALLY big parachute cause your landing is going to suck. Oh and your opening will probably suck as well. Other than that it should be great

Hi Jason --

I have made 3 landings at 11,300ft and 8 landings at 10,000ft. I jump a 280 with a "heavier than average" wingloading.

When landing at altitudes above 10,000ft you can expect a much higher forward airspeed and a siginificant loss in flare power. Stand-up landings can still be had, but there is far less room for error.

Here are a couple of things to consider when jumping at high altitudes:

- Landing is more difficult. Landing in the normal area is not as much as a concern as what you are going to do when you land off. Landing in a boulder field at 11,000+ ft is dramatically different than sea level. (chances are, you are are going to get really busted up)

- Deep Brake Settings. Your DBS is going to behave even deeper at high altitudes, so if your DBS is already on the verge of a stall, you may want to consider a higher, more intermediate setting for the jump. DBSs vary from person to person, so it's hard to say...but definitely consider your DBS and make the decision that is right for you

The jump you're thinking about is a very beautiful jump, but be cautious with the weather conditions and your delay -- it is a very unforgiving site.

Have Fun,

Bryan

What Kevin said. I don't know how big a canopy you're jumping, but if it's not a 280 (at least), borrow one that is for the jump.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com