crwper

Risk-taking and brain chemistry

Can't we let skin off early?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

>>Too many rules and regulations<<

The nail is being struck . .

There's freedom and there's also freedom within a framework of rules, no wait a minute, no there's not . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

No. But genetic predisposition is one important (and, I think, interesting) factor in determining behaviour.

Think about this one for genetics... I was adopted at 3 and never knew anything about my biological parents until almost 20. All I ever wanted to do growing up was be a pilot, and in my teens, I also developed a facination with skydiving. Neither of my adopted parents had ever exposed me to either activity, but as soon as I went away to college, I immediately started flying, and later, skydiving. I am now an ex-fighter pilot who has started basejumping in the last 2 years. Heres the kicker... you can imagine my surprise when I find out years after I started flying that my biological father was an Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam, as well as an accomplished skydiver on an RW team. Additionally, my biological mom turned out to have about 17 jumps to her credit. Now how is it possible for a kid separated from his family at 1 y/o, put in a foster home 'til 3 y/o, who then received zero exposure to his dreams, ends up being driven to follow in the exact footsteps of his biological parents? Along with finding out about my father (who was by then deceased), I was fortunate enough to acquire his jump wings from his skydiving days back in the '70s. My first solo after AFF was with his jumpwings pinned to my rig.
Genetics... mysterious and powerful.

now thats an cool/awesome story.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

heres a similar one... a cose frioend of mine..adopted, no knowledge of his bioparents until later, is frontman of many different mildly successful bands learned recently that his real father was the exact same person as him.. i wonder if maybe somehow before conception certain activities or "favorites" become so much a part of you that it somehow becomes ingrained in your dna... the human body is fkin fascinating.... with its thinking and regeneration and such...

i wonder if maybe somehow before conception certain activities or "favorites" become so much a part of you that it somehow becomes ingrained in your dna...

More likely, I think, the father and the son shared genetic code which made them pre-disposed to certain kinds of activities. I know a lot of who we are is the result of environmental influences in our upbringing, but I think genetics plays an important role in the "broad strokes" of who we become in life.

Michael

I know a lot of who we are is the result of environmental influences in our upbringing, but I think genetics plays an important role in the "broad strokes" of who we become in life.

The current thinking leans towards "nature" much more than "nurture." The evidence--particularly the twin studies--begins to indicate that personality is hardwired.

rl

No. But genetic predisposition is one important (and, I think, interesting) factor in determining behaviour.

Think about this one for genetics... I was adopted at 3 and never knew anything about my biological parents until almost 20. All I ever wanted to do growing up was be a pilot, and in my teens, I also developed a facination with skydiving. Neither of my adopted parents had ever exposed me to either activity, but as soon as I went away to college, I immediately started flying, and later, skydiving. I am now an ex-fighter pilot who has started basejumping in the last 2 years. Heres the kicker... you can imagine my surprise when I find out years after I started flying that my biological father was an Army helicopter pilot in Vietnam, as well as an accomplished skydiver on an RW team. Additionally, my biological mom turned out to have about 17 jumps to her credit. Now how is it possible for a kid separated from his family at 1 y/o, put in a foster home 'til 3 y/o, who then received zero exposure to his dreams, ends up being driven to follow in the exact footsteps of his biological parents? Along with finding out about my father (who was by then deceased), I was fortunate enough to acquire his jump wings from his skydiving days back in the '70s. My first solo after AFF was with his jumpwings pinned to my rig.
Genetics... mysterious and powerful.

I am not negating here the hereditary predispositions, but don't underestimate power of the unconscious. We are "sponges" all our lives and internalize our environment and very much more so at age of 1. The fact that you did not understand what skydiving was at age of one, does not mean you couldn't internalize the idea from your parents.

Sounds silly, but the whole concept of psychotherapy is based on that.

You are a sick man. ;) I think you should see a psychologist or . . . .

;) :) :)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

You are a sick man. I think you should see a psychologist or . . .

'

Skin? :S;):D

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

The only common thread I've found among the jumpers is that they are generally stress seekers... and most do not like to golf.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174