Base626

Retired

This is one of the hardest things that I have had to do in my life but the time has come. I have decided to retire from base-jumping due to several reasons. I have been struggling with this decision for several months and a little bit over the years. I gave my wife my word along time ago that I would quit when certain milestones in my base jumping career passed and I have not fulfilled my promise for several years now. I lost sight that I was a man of my word and that is what this is truly about. I realized that if you cannot stand proud, confident, and true to yourself, you really have nothing.

I will miss this sport greatly, mostly the conversations at the exit points, pre jump, the jump, and celebrations afterward. You have my promise that I will not sever the relationships I have built over the years, as they are, what is, most important to me. Base-jumping for me has truly become a relaxing event. Jumping for me over the past several years was the easy part. Heck I was more scared of getting caught and in trouble. I have gotten to a place where pushing the envelop if illegal exit points became more fun than the actual jumping. I have lost respect for the danger in jumping and that scares me even more. Again, what I truly love is the people in which I have shared my base-jumps with, so for that I will still be around but please don’t ask me to jump anymore.

I want to thank several people and I am sure I will miss some of them. My first basejump was Bridge Day 94’ and I was inspired by the Team Extreme, Spiders from Mars, Ill Vision, and Team Body Baggers, I’ll miss the registration on a picnic table in the center of the bridge w/ Andy Calastrat. Avery, Dennis, & Harry taught me everything I know about running the exit point. Jason Bell for continuing support on with my bridge day staff. Ill miss my exit partners Kramer & Utah. I will miss all the new students going over the edge, the shaking hands, knees, and faces at bridge day. Thank you Jimmy, Marta, Troy, Heather, & Go Fast for the chance to be part of the Royal George first and second events. Thanks to Gravity Sports for my first rig & CR for my Perigee my great Mojo that has saved my life so many times. To all of the manufactures, BR, CR, Morpheous, Apex, Todd, Andy, Brenda, Anne, Rob, Cathy. To all of the “Crew’s” especially the old (relative) Colorado crew, Hank & Wayne, the old SC crew, Mobile crew ricky/paul (wish we would have got the record), Tom A. Jess. B, etc., I finally got to meet the Harrison’s and Nick at BD last year. Mostly the Atlanta Crew Gardner & Baxter and my first jumping partners Gary & Tom. Even Earl R. who got me going. Sorry, I sure I missed someone.

I have been very fortunate over the years with only a few scrapes and bruises and no broken bones. As Dwain once said the bucket is full when you start and with each jump you take out a piece every time until the bucket is empty. For some of us the buckets are larger than others. Anyway I have to retire sooner or later and for me I have gotten to the point that the 11+ years has been a great run.

For those of you who know me I have a wife and two children, which play a significant factor in this decision. For me my family has to be number one (not that Base was). I finally realized that base-jumping although a significant part of my life is no longer a driving force. I will miss everyone, but at the end of the day I ain’t going home with you. I have learned to never say “never “ anyone can come out of retirement. It is very hard to explain to people how this sport affects you, once you surrender to it. A good friend of mine once said “once a base jumper, always a base jumper”. Damn how true that is. I cannot hide the past as it is part of me, maybe when my kids become of age and the circumstances are different I will jump again but for now I can no longer continue.

I believe in the Alliance of Backcountry parachutists and all of the people before it, who have fought for our rights as Base jumpers. I have a picture of Half Dome hanging in my living room. One day I hope to jump it and the Captain.

I realized most of this a few weeks ago on the way to Twin Falls or maybe, perhaps before that. I cannot continue for the sake of my two children and wife, this sport is simply too dangerous and the people I love have too much to lose if something should happen.

Its kind of funny at the end of the day I threw a perfect slow gainer and thought to my-self man that was a great jump. Did not know it at the time but it was my last jump.

See Picture.

Take care, be safe, and as we all say See Ya.
Michael Davidek - Base 626

Nice to have met you,and jumped with you.It was also fun to move your tents because you were so LOUD.Sorry to see anyone go,but you gotta do what you gotta do.Hope to see you back some day.

Your Neighbor in TF,Mikey
http://freakboy066.tripod.com/

>>it was my last jump<<

An unwritten rule of BASE jumping states once you're in it's sort of like that mystical Italian organization, There's no way to truly leave. Every BASE jump you made furthered the sport and we, the old and Nuevo BASE, guarantee you can re-enter right where you left off . . .

Or, ya know, you'll have to go for a ride . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

pussy.

Now git back in dat kitchin and make me a chicken pot pie.;)

Mike,

Life goes on. Thanks for all your hard work as my Bridge Day exit point leader over the years. Family and kids come first. BASE jumping is only temporary, but family is forever. It sounds like you made the right choice.

Cya my friend. I'll keep in touch.

PS. We'll do a legal 2-way from Half Dome when you return to the sport later in life.

PPS. Here's a pic of Mike
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Hi Mike,

congratulations on your decision, that is doing what you wish.
I hope your family reads your post so they can see how much they mean to you, although they probably already know.

once again congrats
:)

It was nice getting a chance to chat with you in Twin Falls.
It sounds like it was a hard decision to make, but it sounds like you made the best decision for you.
hope to cya around

Chrissy :)

Hey whats up?

May all your choices be the right ones. Only you can know and know when. Best wishes to you and the family.

Tree
Base610

Well I just met you this year and now you're throwin in the towel. Good decision, although tough I'm sure you know its right. It was very nice meeting you and I'm glad I got the chance to listen to your knowledge and a story or 2 ;)

This isn't bye, just a 'c ya.'

Brittany

Its absolutely been an honor, Mike, knowing you and having benefited greatly from your contribution to the Atlanta hospitality Ive enjoyed for years now. Thank you very much for this and your many contributions to the base world. Best of luck in all future endeavors, and success in your family affairs. However, I will be seeing you from time to time even if it is from behind gray hairs, man. Hang in there, Mike.

cya dude

Dennis

ps. this means baxter's going to be TOTALLY intolerable now, right???

My deepest respect for your choice.
Having 2 kids(made by meB|,i think...poor kids:P) and a WIFE:) and hers 2 kids aswell also makes me wonder sometimes..

My best whiches for you and your family in the future...

Oh yeah once a BASEjumper always a BASEjumper,if you and your family finds your self in DK one day,your ofcourse still welcome at my place.:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It's been said before that skydiving is soft, BASE is hard. Well making the decision that your kids growing up with a dad is so important that you sacrifice something that is so deeply imbedded in you is HARDER. Props.

Thanks you everyone for the nice comments, emails, and support.