dmcoco84

Acrobatic BASE

Hi Everyone,

I am in need of some information if possible. I am a newbie in BASE but in the future once I get some jumps under my belt I would like start working with acrobatic BASE. I have seen some amazing videos and it has caught my attention big time. I have a few resources for the training harnesses that are used by gymnasts in my area but I am unable to find any resources for high diving. I saw on the OLN special Fearless that Dwain did a lot of work on the harnesses and read online that Jeb trains with Hong Ping Lee, an ex-Olympic high diver for his training. I have looked online and can’t seam to find anything for lessons or training for high dive anywhere. I think a combination of both would be the best in preparing for this type of BASE jump. I am located in Virginia and am willing to travel 1-2 states away. So, if anyone has any info on places that I would be able to get some training for high diving it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
David

A local gym with gymnastics instruction is one place to start.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Ok, I will add my two cents here... I dove since i could walk since i lived at the pool as a kid. I was jumping on high dives at 5 years old. i dove threw highschool and off anything from lake towers to cliffs into lakes. I would suggest to go find a rec pool or go to a university and you will find a highdive or platform. Learning to dive in water is allot easier than gymnastics...Yes i did gymnastics for 4 or 5 years in school. Spring Diving board is allot easier than platform. When you learn in the water...just the fear of smacking the water will speed up your learning curve. Plus its fun as hell...I would suggest starting on a low spring diving board on simple stuff and then when comfortable get on the high dive.Remember...even getting good on the high dive will be allot different when you get on the platform. I guess it's like base as you launch into dead air as on a spring board you will create momentum and speed for your dives. Anyway, have fun and it only stings as compaired to gymnastics when it really hurts when you screw up...

Later... ChrisB|

again only my 2 cents....

It's funny i asked about diving as a recovery for unstable exits as a recovery technique and only kevin M. responded....I thought there would be more discussion as it could be a lifesaver.....hemmmmm..

again...i have been know to be wrong more than ounce....

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

It's funny i asked about diving as a recovery for unstable exits as a recovery technique and only kevin M. responded....I thought there would be more discussion as it could be a lifesaver.....hemmmmm..

again...i have been know to be wrong more than ounce....

I generally find that removing that little bulge from the bag above my shapely but powerful ass is a better technique. The priority is pull.

Except for cheerleaders where it is "swallow".
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Very funny... Mr. Skinflicka..;) No ..in all seriousness...besides a group of cheerleaders kneeling before me...If one where to have a unstable exit... as say...head low and then backing into the object....wouldnt a complete flip to stable be a altenative?? as to create forward momentium... i mean on a high object.....:S not a low kneeling one:D

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

If you had the skill to do a front after a 1/2 second of freefall, and then stop it without over rotating, and/or pull at the precise time required to pitch out of a front flip.......... you would not have been head low in the first place. Besides, if it is a slider down object you just don't have the time and if it is slider up it doesn't matter, you can just track out of it. Of course if it was slider up you would have already been doing at least a back 1-1/2 with a twist, so you couldn't be head low. :P

Hope this helps.

You'd better have damn good alt. awareness.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Hey Tree, This helps allot. I got to thinking about this as a couple of the fatalities where unstable exits. I was also watching some of the bridgday jumps and saw allot of jumpers freezing doing gainers where some basic simple diving techinque would have elimanated this...;)

Hey Tree, This helps allot. I got to thinking about this as a couple of the fatalities where unstable exits. I was also watching some of the bridgday jumps and saw allot of jumpers freezing doing gainers where some basic simple diving techinque would have elimanated this...;)

Hi,
Sorry for sounding not with it but I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me. but whats a gainer?
thanx

Dwain also did platform/dive training.

Find out where your local dive squad trains and see if they'll take you on, but be honest, tell them what your end game is.

We drive 30-40 minutes to go to training, but the results are clearly visible- it's how Jimmy got as good (at aerials) as he is.

Edited to add: Deja vu. There was a thread about BASE aerials on this forum not too long ago. You might want to search under 'aerials'...
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

Cool thanks. I’ll probably give a few of the college athletic departments in my area a call and see if they can give me some direction. I don’t know of any facilities or squads in the area so I will probably have to travel, but like you said, “the results are clearly visible.”

Yea I’ll be straightforward with them. I went to one of the many gymnastics gyms in my area and told them what I needed and what I was planning to do and although they didn’t have the tools they gave me a few places that might. The staff there would have had no issues with helping me but they did say I was crazy! Ha B|