leroydb

Not telling on/turning in on each other rule

Not wounded or Dead but he left a freind hanging about 150feet off the ground on a tower guyed wire. I was called in to assist in the 9 hour rescue with the fire department and the cops there, then I had to drive the guy to the police station while being followed by the cops so he could be charged. Damn thing was that I wasn't even on that load. But this does fall in line with "The SONIC Bullshit" you so don't want to hear about.

What you did is to your credit.

Unfortunately, details are important in these situations, and as I understand it, some of them are missing re Le Roy's part in all of this.

Just for the record, hanging from the wire is, from an ethical standpoint, no different than being wounded. That's just IMO, of course.

But the last thing I'm going to do is get into a pissing contest. "Yes, he did; no, he didn't" is for children. The fact is that I was not there, and there's no way for me to know for certain what is true.

I do, however, know something both about character and characters, and as I said above, I'm pretty sure some of the relevant details are absent.

Does the friend who was left hanging post here?

rl

Addendum to my reply, because I can't seem to get it to accept the edit:

I am equivocating up above and it's bullshit on me, so let me be plain. What I believe is that Le Roy left the scene in his car, with the gear, and that after he returned the gear to the dz, he returned to a place close to the scene, and waited--cell phone in hand--in the event he was needed. I believe that telephone calls were exchanged. I believe that there are other small details that are not relevant, so I'm not going to bother with them. I am totally convinced that had any of the other three people on the load (okay, two, since the one hanging really wasn't in position for conversation) assigned him a different role--even perhaps allowing another to drive his car away--he'd have done what was required to play his part.

What I can't believe is that you guys can be so harsh about such bullshit.

What Kevin McGuire is talking about up above is not bullshit. I know the who did it--and another one who did something worse in Colorado--and both of them would do it again because they're nothing more than .

Why don't you talk about a really important issue instead of this endless repetition of hateful behavior against someone who continues to try to be better.

Hey Tom, why don't you let me do Skin's penance on his behalf. I need a rest from this, and I won't take one unless you make me, because I still haven't learned how to stop beating my head against a brick wall.

rl

Addendum to my reply, because I can't seem to get it to accept the edit:

I am equivocating up above and it's bullshit on me, so let me be plain. What I believe is that Le Roy left the scene in his car, with the gear, and that after he returned the gear to the dz, he returned to a place close to the scene, and waited--cell phone in hand--in the event he was needed. I believe that telephone calls were exchanged. I believe that there are other small details that are not relevant, so I'm not going to bother with them. I am totally convinced that had any of the other assigned him a different role--even perhaps allowing another to drive his car away--he'd have done what was required to play his part.

What I can't believe is that you guys can be so harsh about such bullshit.

What Kevin McGuire is talking about up above is not bullshit. I know the who did it--and another one who did something worse in Colorado--and both of them would do it again because they're nothing more than .

Why don't you talk about a really important issue instead of this endless repetition of hateful behavior against someone who continues to try to be better.

Hey Tom, why don't you let me do Skin's penance on his behalf. I need a rest from this, and I won't take one unless you make me, because I still haven't learned how to stop beating my head against a brick wall.

rl

There were 4 people total on the load, Leroy is the only one that left and he left with the car. One of the guys called me and told me what had happened and that Leroy hauled ass with his car and I advised them to call the fire department. My wife and I along with another couple drove out to the tower to pick up the ones that were left behind and to assist in any way possible. out of the 3 guys that were left behind 2 of them were charged and the other mingled into the crowd that had gathered and caught a ride home with us.
Evidently you heard poor leroys side of the story.You know the one that makes him look like the concerned hero!
This whole thread is about leaving people behind and Im just telling you the facts that were brought up by another person that had posted above mine. And NO! the guy that was stuck in the wires does not post on here because he isnt a BASE jumper. That was his first and last BASE jump. The other 2 that were left behind post on here and should be posting shortly. Also that night I called Leroy myself to ask him were the hell he was and he told me that he had gone home........He did not stay close by waiting thats bullshit.B|:P
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

Guys,

Let's not turn this into a re-re-re-hash of the NC threads I locked a while back.

There is good discussion here. The re-coverage of the NC tower strike incident, and/or replay of NC turf politics are not included in my definition of "good discussion."

I don't want to have to prune out the last half of the thread, because there are some useful thoughts (like Kevin's) interspersed in there. But if it comes to it, I'll do that.

Okay?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

NO PROBLEM HERE!!!!!!!! I was just responding the Rhondas post..........post #42 of this thread.
SONIC BEEF #1 BASE 708, NC BASE 3
SLI,IADI,AFFI.TIE.FAA Rigger, Single & Multi Commercial Pilot,CFI, CFII, MEI

The other 2 that were left behind post on here and should be posting shortly.

i'm a little disgusted that this even being brought back up. but i will reply because john said i would. not just because he is one of my best friends, but because i am the one who called him for advice and to come help us if he could.

also, don't be so quick to defend anyone you've never jumped with or met in person. [/end lecture]

not sure what exactly you think is REALLY IMPORTANT, but i can scan through a hundred threads that are complete bullshit compared to people being lured into a attention seeker who wants you to believe that he is "doing better".

just ask tom how mature he is being.

Hi Tom

I partially agree with you. I don't believe that you should leave an injured jumper behind. Unless it is for the sole purpose of improving their chances of survival by attempting to get assistance. This all depends on the extent of injuries.

And here is my disagreement part.

There are absolutely NO F%$#@cking circumstances where ANY jumper should leave ANY injured colleague behind if there is any doubt as to the survivability of that jumper if left alone. Avoiding getting caught IS NOT an acceptable reason.

If you are 100% certain that the jumper will be OK until rescue gets there, OK. But you HAVE TO BE 100% certain.

This is basic human decency. And if any of us assume the role of the injured, we would hope that our MATES, would help us. We should return this expectation.

We had a story here a number of years ago where an injured jumper had to cut his canopy up with his hook knife to keep himself warm overnight and prevent death by hypothermia in a cold mountain climate (there's another use for a hook knife huh). There was opportunity for that person to be recovered earlier.

This discussion also promotes tha validity of communication & preparation when undertaking wilderness jumps.

1 - Tell someone where you are going.
2 - Tell them when you are expected to return (probable and worst case).
3 - Take some basic rescue and first aid gear.
4 - Communication - take radios, etc and determine how rescue can be contacted when you are in the wilderness (i.e. rescue frequencies and what devices are capable of maintaining range).
5 - Don't push the limits excessively. You should factor rescue in the complexity of your jump. It would suck if you died of a broken ankle because no-one knew where you were.
6 - etc.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck

Tom
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.