gus

Kill line pc for BASE?

There's an ad in the BASE section of the classifieds (here) which reads:

F111 40" Hand Deployed Kill-line Pilotchute with a 10' 7" bridle.

Is that as unusual as it sounds?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I would never jump a kill line PC in BASE.

Why would you want to? If you are worried about canopy performance with an inflated PC trailing behind you then you either need to stop jumping your VX69 with 52" PC or your Troll265 with 500" PC..............

I think whatever canopy it is, the drag from a PC diminishes performance...

I can think of several objects where this may drastically improve my ability to reach nice LZ's versus ending up in talus - and therefore I'd be interested in a sort of PC collapser for these specific jumps.

I thought people were using diapers or something like that, as opposed to a kill line - because fabric around the bridle is pretty obvious and therefore it's harder to pack yourself a total mal than it is with a kill line. Going handheld as well, I see little possibility for the fabric to collapse the PC prior to the PC doing its job.

Who knows about making one of these? I'd be interested to see some designs.

weired stuff. watching all the videos I know and remembering the things I know about airstreamflow, I guess using a kill line will give you a lot of trouble. especially at low altitudes.
technically, without a POD, I guess you need a reefing-system which collapses the pc. this only after the canopy has inflated completely.
but what the heck, is this useful? not beeing able to reach the landing? what about if you plan it with a kill line pc and something goes wrong during deployment? or the openings need more time > thought about that? then you are also not able to reach the landing again....
probably a manual detachment is possible. like on the swooping-canopies.
for myself, I like reliable openings and can accept a trailing pc behind me. I know this works.
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Anyone remember the guy who sold kill-line PC's at Bridge Day in the mid-90's? The problem with them back then was the possibility of forgetting to cock the PC. I think this problem still applies now.

Then again, we used to say pins on BASE rigs are black death.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I guess you need a reefing-system which collapses the pc. this only after the canopy has inflated completely.
but what the heck, is this useful? not beeing able to reach the landing? what about if you plan it with a kill line pc and something goes wrong during

How about a light-weight nylon circle (large enough to cover the mesh plus some) with a grommet in the center. Thread the bridle through it, pack it at the bridle attachment on the canopy, and after deployment it floats to the PC and kills the drag. Off the top of my head it wouldn't work with velcro closed rigs though.

--
Hook high, flare on time

I think whatever canopy it is, the drag from a PC diminishes performance...

I agree

I thought people were using diapers or something like that, as opposed to a kill line - because fabric around the bridle is pretty obvious and therefore it's harder to pack yourself a total mal than it is with a kill line. Going handheld as well, I see little possibility for the fabric to collapse the PC prior to the PC doing its job.

Who knows about making one of these? I'd be interested to see some designs.

Its called a sleeve. Its similar to a reserve free bag in the sense of how the lines are stowed. After opening, it travels down the bridle and covers the PC.

Of course it is possible to BASE jump successfully with a kill line PC, but IMHO it is a bad idea. These types of pilot chutes do have problems from time to time in the skydiving environment. The difference is in skydiving you have a reserve with altitude to use it.
Have Fun, Don't Die!
Johnny Utah
My Website
email:[email protected]

I think it was one of those, or maybe in Early 90´s it was.
I built a retraction system before that could be used for it. similar to the "Pursuit" CRW canopy. no bigee to build, I just didn´t want to complicate things even more when some don´t use the line mod because they don´t trust their ability to securely set the brakes or route the steering lines correctly.
take care,
space