dmkellett

low pull - WS pilots BEWARE!!

OK its on the base section of skydiving movies . would like to know what altitude you guys think i opened at, my figures were a total guess...... my initial attempt to deploy is at the moment my head comes up, which i think is about 500 feet.

Darren

Holy fuck,

nice bit of ground rush right before you opened.

clip plays very choppy, seems to be from when you encoded it. any chance you can encode it again using variable bit rate and 2 passes?

c-ya

canopy ride about 20 secvonds. flew immediatly down the hill, which gave me more alti. missed the vinyard, put it down in the entrance to the car park just north of the bar. (50 ) metres north along the road. actually landed on top of the car park entrance bar (2m) high then did a little hop n flare onto the ground. then went for a beer.

Darren

sorry, i am a the limit of my abilities with computers just encoding it once, how the hell do you do a variable bit rate 2 pass thingy??? i used windows movie maker as i still haven't got roud to reading the premiere manual.......
darren

no worries.

you can get "Windows Media Encoder 9 Series" for free from the Microsoft web-site. this gives you loads of options for encoding files.

c-ya

just uploaded it again after using media encoder 9. cheers for the advice. I am learning constantly about techi shit. its a bigger file, 17 mb but it should work better now.

Darren

Send him to America. We can fatten anyone up. That's why we're the fattest people on earth. :P

I would have said the same thing, but I recently saw this article on how Europe is apparently starting to catch up.

Those Italians have to lay off the pasta man. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Glad to see I'm not the only one you try to kill in a WS, Darren! :P

Seriously, glad you're ok. Scary video.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Did you cut away your wings to be able to pull? Or did you just continue trying to grab the PC without cutting away? It really looked to me like that last 5 seconds before opening, the fallingspeed went up (and by the sound of the wind).
Sorry if it has been asked before...
Thijs

Hey Thijs, no i didnt cut away my wings, there was no time. there is also no real piont in cutting away your wings to pul, i dont know of anyone who has ever cut them away for anything other than stability issues during freefall.....

I just reached round further and aarched harder, as i have done many times on a skydive when having initial (1st attempt) pull problems. The vertical rate of descent increased dramatically, (called the "Trap Door" effect) as all my wings were closed for about 4 seconds. I can tell you the ground rush was something ill not need to watch the VIdeo in order to remember..... it's burnt in pretty deep.

I'm trying to post the better version without the "jumpy bits" but skydiving movies seems to be down at the moment.

Darren