Han-Solo

The bigwalls of Norway

Most of you have probably heard of the big walls of Norway, and then you think of Kjaerag. Many of you are probably aware that there are other walls as well.

Being a Norwegian I must admit I haven't been to Kjaerag myself (trying to go there this summer... :$)

Anyway, I’d like to tell you a little about the area where I do most of my bigwall jumps. My impression is that foreigners have heard of these walls, but only vaguely know were they are (up north...), and apart from long freefalls they are known for looong hikes.

This is an area consisting of three great valleys, all walls situated a maximum of an hour and a half by car from each other. As far as I know at least 18 bigwalls have been jumped in this area. More than ten of these provide the same or more flying altitude then Kjaerag. The three biggest ones give about 1600m of potential freefall (exit to landing). Apart from an area including two of the walls, everything else is legal.
In addition to this there are still several possible exits that haven’t been explored yet. These are probably ws exits at best, but might turn out to be very spectacular.

I write this because I find it strange that when I and a bunch of other locals roam this area during the summer, we hardly ever see any foreigners. Especially since Norway is supposed to be “famous” for its bigwalls, and I know a lot of you visit Kjaerag. So I figured there were two main reasons for this;
- the area is too famous for its looong hikes
- too much hassle getting there, where is it, how to find the walls and the way to the exits, etc..

If it’s the first one I can tell you the hikes vary from 1-2 to 4-5 hours. Most include all of the elevation, some none. It’s less painful if you’re fit.

If it’s the second one, I’d be happy to help my fellow BASErs. This area is never going to be overcrowded; there is plenty of gravity for all of us! And it would be a blast to see some new grins once in a while. ;)

How can you maximize the number of jumps you get there on a trip?

what series of cliffs can get you the most Freefall in a row?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Thanks for posting this, Han. I'll come some day. :)

From all the video i see and being my inlaws live a hour away from swiss valley...i would say about 1,500 ft to be exact. I have been known to be wrong on more than numerous ocassions... Tom would know better i think.....was just watching his famous cutting his left steering line over video from Contin 2.

You are text book Tom.....;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Would love to hear all about it....Do you have any pictures also. B| I only hear about Kjaerag and would love to hear about other sites.....I think the hiking is another overlooked part of the experiance. i guess its the climber in me...

Thanks for the post Han-solo

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I'll just say that having been to your area, I doubt I'll be going to Lysefjord at all on future trips to Norway.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Why T???? I'm trying to figure out some of my June trip.
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

If it’s the first one I can tell you the hikes vary from 1-2 to 4-5 hours. Most include all of the elevation, some none. It’s less painful if you’re fit.

Just to give you an idea what a norwegian hikehour really is...

If a norwegian says 1 hour it's equivalent to 2 american hours. Several of the popular walls in that area have killer hikes, it's like hiking hills #2 and #3 at Kjerag for several hours. Straight up. Have you seen the norgies run up the hills at Kjerag? Then you know what I mean, these guys are like mountaingoats. ;)

With that said, the 3 valleys are beautiful! Long freefalls, fantastic jumps!

/Micke

*smile*

You will find Swedes, Icelandic and Aussies there for sure this year :)

I usually go to the helicopter boogie every year, that is pretty much the only time I go to Kjerag … the walls up north … some of the valleys looks like a cathedral for a basejumper.

Yes the hikes are sometimes long but if you are fit it is not that super hard and some of the hikes are beautiful … like one of the high ones and you reach the summit just when the sun comes up … epic!

PerFlare

Is there some wall, that you can approach with minimal hiking?

What is a usual day with big wall jumping? How many jumps can you do with a helicopter?

Bigger walls, especially for wingsuit flights (more talus underneath). Real towns with grocery stores instead of tiny little tourist traps. Fewer people. Better feelings.

The hikes are harder, too. That may keep some people away.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

We're in the area now, having an extremely pleasant time. We'll probably hang around here until 12-13 June. It's nice and warm now, but a good amount of snow on the tops might make some hikes a bit strenuous. We're jumping every day though, so if someone wants to join please feel free to hook up:) Ph # +47 4823 7033

CJ=)

The reason that there are few foreigners in the 3 walleys is due to

Really long hikes aprox. 3-5 hours. Steep all the way.

Dangerous cliffs, difficult to find the exits.

The Police hunt down basejumpers with dogs.

I would prefer going to Lysebotn, where you can do 3 jumps a day, and keep the police away.

You need to be very experienced with the climatic, and the mountains up there, because the weather is unpredictable...

For the guys who knows it :-)

Have a nice day

Tom Erik

That's not remote, this is remote. Takes about 4 days doing one jump B|

Takes about 4 days doing one jump B|

but what a jump...

The Police hunt down basejumpers with dogs.

Whats up with that...That sounds like here in miami... They are guarding the cruise ships when docked in port of miami with fully armed patrol boats and have dogs all over the port athority area....:S

Is there some wall, that you can approach with minimal hiking?

No, not really. Pretty much all the hikes are big (3-5 hours, more if you happen to be a fat American like me). In general you have to hike from the landing area, so you end up climbing 5 or 6 thousand vertical feet to earn your altitude.

What is a usual day with big wall jumping? How many jumps can you do with a helicopter?

As far ask I know, you won't be able to get permission to run a helicopter there.

Read BASEheimen's post. He lives there.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No, not really. Pretty much all the hikes are big (3-5 hours, more if you happen to be a fat American like me). In general you have to hike from the landing area, so you end up climbing 5 or 6 thousand vertical feet to earn your altitude.

:)

As far ask I know, you won't be able to get permission to run a helicopter there.

Those guys just have organized a Heliboogie there.

Those guys just have organized a Heliboogie there.

There has not been a helicopter in the areas discussed here. You must be thinking about Kjerag where they have an anual heli boogie

I have been in the valleys and i can confirm the long hikes. I earned the nick name "the five-meter" as i had to take a break every 5th meter or so at the end of a 3.5 hrs long hike.
I could never make more than one jump a day there as i was exchausted after those hikes.

last year some french and german jumpers spent close to 5 hours on the trip, and they were really exchausted after the hike. one of the french was even unhappy with the jump as he said to me "when im this tired i cannot make a good jump".

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.oslobase.no

I think you can compare most of the logistics in mid-norway with the Italian Terminal Wall. It`s nearly impossible to find it without local help or a really detailed map. You have to have some kind of transportation-help either before or after the hike/jump. In addition the hikes are steeper, more exposed and longer. In basic everybody can hike to the top, it`s only a matter of time, the tricky/dangerous part is if you have to return due to weather. In other words, if you don`t have resources to plan the trip WELL you`d better stick to Kjerrag. "have a good one......." Ebbe3

edit for site name ~TA

”Verden har mange mangler, der mangelen på nytenkning er den største”
Mikael Gorbatsjov

I think you can compare most of the logistics in mid-norway with the Italian Terminal Wall. It`s

Aside from logistics, the differences are huge.

First, the hike to freefall ratio is about 5 times higher. You have to walk up all of the altitude. What is easy and natural for Norgies is a hellish nightmare for most US jumpers :)

Second, the weather - it can and eventually will trap you on top. If you are not prepared to spend the night on a cold mountain in the rain, snow and fog, your life will be really miserable.

Third, the accident/rescue situation on the bigger walls: god help you if you're injured or stuck on T.V. or H.N.

If you can deal with all that, and love long hikes and tracking/wingsuits - life is good!!! ;)

bsbd!

Yuri.

I don't understand why you need to make some advertising for your beautiful country. I've been there 2 years ago and didn't meet anybody. Not one single jumper!! It was one of my best BASE trip. Me and my 3 friends were on our own. No one to tell us what to do or not to do.
Why do you want your place to be crowded?
More people= more risks of accidents.

I'm really astonished by your post. I even thought your post was a joke in the beginning.

edit for site name ~TA

I don't understand why you need to make some advertising for your beautiful country. I've been at the Katthammaren 2 years ago and didn't meet anybody. Not one single jumper!! It was one of my best BASE trip. Me and my 3 friends were on our own. No one to tell us what to do or not to do.
Why do you want your place to be crowded?
More people= more risks of accidents.

I'm really astonished by your post. I even thought
your post was a joke in the beginning.

If you are advertising you are most of time doing that for money but Hansolo was much more inviting and describing the part of Norway which is even more beautiful than Kjerag or other places in that area. Some have not money to see averting so it is very good to get advise from experienced people like Hansolo, Yuri, Tom or any other. I was little bid angry to read your post at first but i also forgot how you see it. ;)