Opening heading and out-of-trim issues

I recently started having openings that are consistently to the left about 90 degrees or more after about 200 near perfect on heading openings. The canopy is a Fox Vtec 245, vented with the multi. I've inspected the pilot chute and the bridle attachment point to see if there is an asymmetry (causing a rotating pilot chute and a consistent off heading direction). I also changed out the pilot chute but I still have the same problem. From inspecting the canopy, I do not see why this is happening. Would it be advisable to obtain a new line set assuming the lines have stretched in a subtle way to cause the heading problems?

thanks,
Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Have you measured the lines to see if there's any asymmetry?

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Out of interest, would you be able to turn the multi around ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Have you removed and reinstalled the multi for any reason? From BR's owner's manual under 4.2 Assembly of the Multi:

"-1c Configure the Multi lines to the link in the following order, remove any twists from the Multi lines before installing on link. White outside line (#3 or 5), then white center cell line (#4), then red center cell line, finally the last outside line (#5 or 3). Drawing 4.6-2"

I'm thinking that maybe the order in which you reattached the lines (if you removed them) could have something to do with it.

-C.

Nothing has changed, so far as I can tell. I didn't touch the multi and the line lengths look symmetric and similar to what they were before the problem started. I didn't land in water either. I will check line lengths and symmetry of my multi though. thanks, Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

what about body position? How were you feeling on those jumps? Where you 100% or just getting over a cold?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

don't no if this helps, but i had the same problem myself (consistent 90 deg right). but it was early in my career and i'm not sure what caused it. i had it narrowed down to(well, i thought anyway;)) :
-handheld pc resulting in asymmetrical body position after throw
-not cautious enough with the symmetry and separation of the center cell during packing
-the multi

i started going boc, changed my packing a bit, and switched to duo (attaching all three frontlines to the center cell). haven’t seen it since...

Consistant trends that reveal a string of off-heading openings to the same quadrant can often be tracked back to container closing.

Over time, your packing may change very slowly with each packjob until you're finally doing something different than you had been doing earlier.

Take it back to the basics. Pay super close attention when you're closing the container to make sure you're doing it with symmetry in mind.

If you're jumping a pin rig, draw the flaps to the center of the packjob. Try to get the flaps positioned as well as possible before you even insert a pull-up cord in the closing loop.

When I close my container, I can almost thread the closing loop without even using a pull-up cord. I know that I'm not wrenching an off-heading into the packjob by tugging on it with a pull-up cord.

Take it back to the basics for a couple jumps and see what happens. If you're at an easy site (I hate to use that term) then consider having another jumper close it up for you a couple times.

Measure lines lengths and see if there is a discrepancy in there.

Inspect for a torn crossport too.

Measure your thighs.

Could be a lot of stuff, but I suspect it's probably the way you're closing the container.

Measure your thighs.

Are you calling him fat?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

you could meassure your lines before getting them done,but more likely im whith Dexter about the packjob/closing sequence.

That said i experienced aprox the same on my Fox aswell and i took off the multi and didnt have any onheadding problems after that...:Sim not sure that it were the multi doing this so pleace dont take this as granted.I found out im jumping more n more x winds which has an bad effect on multies perhaps that could be an issue aswell..

Just my oppinion..
I deafently would try other stuff before getting a reline...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I have little experience so take my comments with a grain of salt. When I took Johnny's course last year at the Perrine, I noticed that the people who had the multi had a greater chance for offheading. Those observations convinced me to not purchase any canopy that had the multi (I originally was going to get a new Fox). I even saw (and of course I have it on video) where the excess of the multi is figure eighted into rubberbands hung up and caused a short, but very noticeable delay in the extraction of the canopy from the container. first when we were on the top of the bridge we thought it was a PC hesitation, but upon reviewing the video, the flaps opened and the excess hung up on bands at the top of container. Container: Neo, Canopy: Fox 285(?) with multi.

Jamie, you have the video from our jump course. It is one of Matt's jumps.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

I would get the line specs. from the manufacturer,and then I would find out if the lines were still in trim or not.I would check your brake settings to see if 1 is longer than the other.Hope this helps.I always get the specs. of my canopies,and make sure they are in trim before I jump them.
http://freakboy066.tripod.com/

What DexterBase describes is what happened to me...

I had noticed regular off-heading openings to the left. It was 100% the way I was closing my pin rig. While synching down my flaps, I was pulling up the left nose higher than the right, therefore twisting the pack job in the tray. So now when I synch down my flaps with the pull cord, I place my hand over the left corner to prevent it from being lifted/twisted in the tray. I also take my time closing my rig, realizing that closing the rig is probably one of the most important parts of packing.

Well I hope that helps…

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

I came to the same conclusion as you SBCmac.
I think I have had that same issue once in awhile. I definitely think you HAVE to pay attention to closing a pin rig (let alone any type of BASE RIG). A bad closing can turn a nice packjob very bad...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I noticed that the people who had the multi had a greater chance for offheading

This statement is interesting but I have over 800 jumps on the multi and I have not had repeated heading issues as a result of its use. In fact my openings for years have been disturbingly consistent and by that I mean on heading.
The delay you mention regarding the extraction time of the bridle is most likely caused by over wrapping the rubber bands around the multi bridle or using rubber bands that are too stout for the job.
This may account for the delay you saw on video.

In all the years I have used the multi, I have not found that this bridle "delay"(if I actually ever experienced it) ever resulted in significantly lower or unsafe opening altitudes. I have always felt and still do today that the multi works just as advertised and is well worth the added expense.
Just in case your wondering, No I'm not sponsored by Apex but for years I have been sponsored by Bomb Proof Rigging

I have 190+ jumps whith the multi and found that its a great tool if you use it CORRECT,if not..your getting offheadings...

1st rule:dont jump x winds
2nd rule dont jump strong x winds
3th rule same as rule 1 and 2 just from the oppersit side:P

Actualy its easy to understand.. you have 4 points on your canopy(whith the multi) now pull the bridel to either side and you´ll see slag in one side and not in the other.. you simply turn the canopy by the multi...

That said,in most winds i would say it dosnt matter,so if you dont jump x winds,strong x winds and wind down the wire.. it shouldnt be a big issue

just my oppinion..

Yeahh i live in DK,thats why i took off the multi,we always has x winds and winds down the wire:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I have 190+ jumps whith the multi and found that its a great tool if you use it CORRECT,if not..your getting offheadings...

1st rule:dont jump x winds
2nd rule dont jump strong x winds
3th rule same as rule 1 and 2 just from the oppersit side:P

Living in the South west U.S, 90% of our objects are cliffs and jumping them in winds is an extremely bad idea. I don't usually jump in winds unless I'm on some big stick and the winds are straight between the wires. Seeing as how we have virtually no big sticks in this area jumping is winds never really happens. I even call it at the potato if the winds are high. It tends to make landings rougher than necessary. I just don't need to jump that bad to risk it. But, to each his own

Hi, sorry to hear you're having issues with off-headings these days!

Yes, you certainly should check the trim, or have it checked by someone proficient in this task. The specs for the canopy are readily available and it's easy enough to see if one side has stretched or something similar. If the trim all checks out fine, then you know it's not the parachute and more likely your closing or other factor.

If you need detailed instructions on how to accomplish this trim check, please e-mail to toddATapexbase.com (where AT = @) He will be glad to help you with your technical questions.

Be safe, have fun, and soft landings!

Peace,
Karen
Apex BASE Perris