jupija

Avstrian found death on favorite E near Salzburg

Just got a disturbing news... death avstrian base jumper with WS on a cliff near Salzburg, apparently he jumped alone... Martin send me sms so i know it wasnt u ... CAn anyone send me some info on that... Kristina, Arno, Michael, Rainer anyone any news from your side, is it really avstrian ... or anyone else... please ASAP.

f..k

can alban klose let me know if hes alive too...hope you are well mate and that this isnt true for the rest of Austria..
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

original is on botom and the source is national Radio and tv brodcaster ORFhttp://oesterreich.orf.at/oesterreich.orf?read=detail&channel=4&id=381661. My german isn t so fluent

Base Jumper stürzte 500 Meter in den Tod. Ein 22-jähriger Freizeitsportler aus St. Gilgen ist am Samstag bei der so genannten xxx bei St. Lorenz tödlich verunglückt. Der Fallschirm hatte sich nach dem Absprung nicht geöffnet.

22 years old from ST Gilgen is on saturday mortally injured. He fall 500 m to death. Appr. At 17.00 he tried to jump from the highest point of that E. From reasons that r not clear jet , his canopy didn’t opened, He died on spot.

One woman decribes: Just before the jump she said that he vaived. Then she noticed that his canopy didn’t opened and that man fall in ˝forest˝.

Canopy was seized. Five friends of base found him afterwards under the cliff.

Base Jumper stürzte 500 Meter in den Tod. Ein 22-jähriger Freizeitsportler aus St. Gilgen ist am Samstag bei der so genannten xxx bei St. Lorenz tödlich verunglückt. Der Fallschirm hatte sich nach dem Absprung nicht geöffnet.

Der 22-Jährige war gegen 15.30 Uhr auf die 1.176 Meter hohe xxx geklettert. Gegen 17.00 Uhr wollte er vom höchsten Punkt der xxx abspringen, so die Sicherheitsdirektion für Oberösterreich.

Aus bisher noch ungeklärter Ursache öffnete sich jedoch sein Schirm nicht. Der Mann stürzte 500 Meter in die Tiefe. Er dürfte sofort tot gewesen sein.

Augenzeugin sah Unfall: Kurz vor dem Absprung hatte eine Augenzeugin gesehen, wie der Mann auf der Felswand stand und noch gewinkt hatte. Dann bemerkte sie, dass sich der Schirm nicht öffnete und der Mann in den Hochwald abstürzte.

Fallschirm wurde beschlagnahmt: Fünf Freunde des Sportlers fanden den Verunglückten kurze Zeit später am Fuß der Felswand. Der Gemeindearzt konnte nur noch den Tod feststellen. Der Fallschirm wurde beschlagnahmt.

There are comments from the public, mainly real stupid ones like 'oh, that's so stupid and Red Bull sponsors that shit'

According to the report, the canopy did not open/did not come out of container (not exactly specified). Anyway not goodB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

This is bad new.....2 in less than a week.....not good..:(

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

It was the final flight of Wofgang S.

This cliff used to be his 'backyard-cliff'. He had less than 100 Base Jumps, and roughly 10 WS base flights with GTI (some from this site). Yesterday he flew his S3 the first time (base). According to the police and the rescue team the PC was in the Leg Pouch at impact which was about half way between wall and common landing area in the forrest.
I flew at 9:15 and the wind condition was on the limit for myself. My ASSUMPTION is that he had exit stability problems cause of the wind and fought to get his suit under controll again.

The people who live at DW and the police don't want to have basejumping activity at least for the next
3-4 weeks.
PLEASE RESPECT THAT, otherwise we will loose a beautiful cliff where jumping is/was respected.

Fly free Wolfi
RIP
-arno

condolences to his family,friends and the austrian crew.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

Arno,

Do you know if he had many skydives using the legpouch? Is the impact site close to the wall indicating that he didn't flew the suit?

Regards,
Micke N
BASE268

According to my information he didn't have any maybe only a few skydives with the legpouch. Point of impact is said to be about 200m horizontally away from the vertical part of the cliff.
-arno

I have removed multiple posts naming the site and edited several others, at request of several different jumpers from nearby areas.

Everyone please read the "Before You Post" guidelines linked at the top of the page.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com