bch7773

why don't they do this?

Hey I have always wondered this:

Why don't parachute makers make the reserve pilotchute and freebag orange?

Wouldn't that make the job of finding them much easier if someone were to have a cutaway? Its not like we could complain about the color, since normally nobody sees it. And I imagine orange fabric could not be that much more expensive then whatever they use now.

edited for spelling B|

MB 3528, RB 1182

Find it? It came right off your back! Where's it going to go?

Bright colours would help though.

I've caught half mine before I've landed. I've also caught many others. Just watch your stuff. It's not that hard. And if you lose it? That's not such a bad thing when you consider the alternatives.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Lucky one!

Mine has been found after sereval months with my main.

Mmm. I hope you're not going to pack it again. Several months of UV exposure to your bridal could really spoil your day come your next mal...

t

Bright colors on free-bags and pilot chutes can sure help. I'm just curious about something. When I first started in skydiving, I was told that, if I had a reserve-ride, I should keep an eye on my pilot chute and free-bag and follow it to the ground the best I could within safety guidelines. Someone else on the load should try to do the same with the jettisoned main. Does this still apply? In recent years, it seems as though the big thing is to hit the peas under a reserve and worry about the main, free-bag and pilot chute, later. Losing any of those components can be costly.

???

Chuck

Losing any of those components can be costly.

???

Chuck

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old-school belly-fliers still follow the old courtesy, but I am not sure if it is taught to young jumpers any more.
If an old-school skydiver had a cutaway, he would head for the bowl under his reserve, while one of his team mates would follow him to the bowl.
A second team mate would follow his freebag, land as close to the freebag as he could safely, then walk back with freebag in hand.
A fourth team mate would follow the cutaway main and walk back with it in hand.
And the team's videographer would document the whole process for everyone else's enjoyment.

ok I guess I haven't seen enough reserve pilotchutes and freebags then. My old school javelin has a white one, and the only other ones I've seen was a yellow one, and another white one.

and yes, I know its not hard to keep an eye on a white pc, but if you were to cutaway above a town, it would be nice to be able to look for a landing area instead of watching your stuff all the time. besides, the orange color can't hurt.

Do the new Javelins use orange reserve pcs/freebags?

MB 3528, RB 1182

I have 'flown' down, under canopy, to a jumper on our load who had a reserve-ride to make sure he was all-right. Luckily, the PC and free-bag had tangled with the main and with no wind, landed close-by. (This was before AAD's were used by skydivers) He stood it up in a cottonfield. I feel, it's just 'courtesy' to the jumper.

Lucky one!

Mine has been found after sereval months with my main.

Mmm. I hope you're not going to pack it again. Several months of UV exposure to your bridal could really spoil your day come your next mal...

t

Eric,
The pilot chute and bag maybe but the bridle is made of cotton right?
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Eric,
The pilot chute and bag maybe but the bridle is made of cotton right?
Sparky

Bridle made of cotten? No.

Get it checked out. Here, under the hole in the ozone layer, with people in their teens getting melanoma - I wouldn't touch gear that's been out there for a week.

t