aj4218

BASE site in NE Spain

Just curious to know if anyone knows if a site in NE Spain has ever been jumped. As we can't identify BASE sites on the forum, the best way to identify it for anyone who's aware of it is that the exit point is a metal overhanging 'mirador' or viewing platform on the edge of a 2,200' ridge and there's at least 800' sheer directly underneath it.
It was this ridge where I used to fly hang gliders in the late 70s when I lived nearby in Vitoria. I've got photos of the site on transparencies but can get them scanned if anyone's interested enough to see them.
The site was visited by Mike McCarthy, Lyn George and a couple of others on my suggestion in the early 80s but they were weathered out.
Email me at the dropzone.com address if you want to know more. I'll be fascinated to know if it's been jumped.

I think it has been jumped. When I talked to a local when I was in Empuriabrava, he mentioned an E similar to your description.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Yo that sounds very interresting,
I currntly live in barcelona, spain and would like to know where this site is located.
I do know a very similar place near here only the hight of the wall doesn't seem to match...

email me
[email protected]

You should talk to the local (I only know one, but I am sure there are others) at the dropzone in Empuriabrava who is a TI, he is the one who told me of the site.
The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over - Hunter S. Thompson

Yo that sounds very interresting,
I currntly live in barcelona, spain and would like to know where this site is located.
I do know a very similar place near here only the hight of the wall doesn't seem to match...

Me too! And uhhh,...if it is the same place...then watch out for sigar smoking BASE jumpers and bikers! ;)

Give us a call mate!

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

I've sent all you guys (at your dz.com address) a map which should help ID where it is. Hopefully some picture posts next week.

Here's the pictures.

Canyon 1 is looking over the edge of the 'mirador'
Canyon 2 is from the other side of the canyon looking over towards the exit point. The little white dot in the very middle is the mirador from Canyon 1!
Canyon 3 shows the mirador more clearly
Canyon 4 gives an idea of where to fly out of the canyon
Canyon 5 is anothe rview from the other side.

The guys that visited in the early 80s reckoned there were several possible exit points