jumpinfarmer

Sabre canopies

I wish I knew how to address you all but I don't so here are my thought(s). I have about 500 jumps on a Sabre (after my Excalibur). The Sabre came out in 90/91 or so. It was the first successful (and long lived) ZP canopy (Nova, Monarch, etc). Yes, the Blue Track was earlier but if you really want an opening experience, jump one. The paradigm shift (IMO) is the attention that needed to be made to packing a higher wing loaded canopy than the attention needed to pack a larger (often 200 sq. ft. or so) canopy. We learned alot about line stows, snatch force, pilot chute size/construction, and slider rebound with early ZP canopies than we had learned since squares were invented. Give the Sabre a break they were (and are) given the right application a great canopy!
Don't compare a P-51 to an F-16!
Perspective people, Perspective!

I'll shut up now.

Tim:ph34r:
FAA Master Rigger and a couple of ratings (in 2 countries)

Well I jump a rather old Sabre 170, loaded whit around 1.25 or a little more. I have never had a hard opening, the only thing is that it tends to turn about 90 degrees left just after opening.

I always roll the nose tightly and the tail as well. And I always 1/4 the slider, no problems. Some says that if you have a Sabre that continues to have hard openings you should fit it whit a slider that are around a inch broader and weider, I wouldn't know!!

As your first canopy, good choice!!

Blue Skies

The varied opinions here express what works for some doesn't work for others.
I had a Sabre 190 and moved down to a 170.
I used to roll the end cells into the center and it made for soft openings, that all changed when I had a malfunction caused by one side failing to pop out of the center. It seemed the fabric got stuck on itself somehow.
There is so much more than what you do with the nose that effects openings . I have found that keeping the slider in a position to do it's job as the biggest factor. Snatch force, line stows and proper maintenence all come into play also. You are going to hear tips from everyone. If you have a problem of any kind call the manufacturer, they usually are in the best position to clear up the problem.

My wife bought a Sabre 150 with very few jumps recently, and I've jumped it 3 times so far. The openings have been a little quick compared with my Spectre, but nothing violent, and the canopy flies great. I may be speaking too soon, but so far so good on this Sabre.