jumpinfarmer

Sabre canopies

I have an original Sabre 150.

Some tips for a soft opening, ( I have about 120 of my own packjobs on this canopy).

1) Roll the nose.....tightly!

This creates a longer snivel

2) Don't 1/4 the slider, pull the slider as far as you can in front of the nose.
(this has had the biggest impact on my openings)

This prevents that pop at the end of the snivel, however, be prepared to stear with the rear risers on opening because the canopy opens in a near stalled state because it is not fully inflated.

3) Roll the tail a few inches higher above slider grommets, tightly around the lines.
This reduces snag force, and has a trap door effect when you pitch out.

These are tips that people have given me, that work for my canopy. I'm not an expert but I don't think you are at any risk to try these tips yourself assuming you know how to pack.

Let me know how it works out for you!

well I have about 3500 jumps and probly about 2000 have been on Sabres and Sabre2s....My first canopy was a Sabre 150 and I downsized to a 135 then 107 and now a Sabre2--97. I have been whacked a few times on the 150 and 107 but the 135 and 97 have never opened hard. The hardest openings I ever had were a Batwing 116 and Velocity 90. This has just been my experiences but I can not say anything bad at all about Sabres. I think most canopies are indivuals like people are....some are great and others are just royal pains. :S

jumped a rented 190 sabre,no hard openings at all. the trick someone showed me is too role the 4 left cells into the left half of center cell and the right 4 cells into the right half of the center cell. hpe that helps.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

Just remember, ask 10 people how to pack and you get 15 answers.

I have a Sabre 150.

I don't roll the nose. I push it about 3/4 of the way back into the packjob.
I roll the tail tightly. Paying particular attention to the section closest the lines, so I keep the slider down.
Slider is pulled out to the front of the packjob (not quartered)

So far, about 100 pack jobs on this.

I've had a few harder openings, and a couple of canopy "appearances", but nothing that has caused any damage. Also, these openings were when I was trying something, or putting the canopy in the bag and thinking "I really should redo this...".
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

In my opinion, a sabre is an excellent beginner canopy, definitaly with the wing loading you are talking about. I have also heard that the bigger ones tend to open harder (150's and up). I had a 135 and put under 1,000 jumps on it, and really loved it. But I would get the occasional thumper outa it.
my pics & stuff!

I had one that tried to kill me.Saw a Racer completely ripped apart by one.Met a girl from Virginia that has scars on her head from the halo head thingy after breaking her neck.All on 170s.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I had one that tried to kill me.Saw a Racer completely ripped apart by one.Met a girl from Virginia that has scars on her head from the halo head thingy after breaking her neck.All on 170s.

Hey Guys!!! This makes the Sabres look pretty bad and exactly the opposite of my experience. I jump a Sabre2 170 (125 jumps) and have never had a hard opening. If I roll the nose it takes 1000 feet, so I don't do that.

Ed

Thats not a sabre - thats a sabre2. The two canopies are completely different and share only the name.

Sabre 1 - reputation for hard openings - not all examples - can easily be tamed

Sabre 2 - growing reputation for soft but somtimes off heading openings - not all examples - not conclusively shown to be the canopy

My personal opinion is that the Sabre sucks. I can count the number of times I've been whacked under canopy on one hand and I think 4 out of the 5 whackers were under a Sabre. I've heard people say roll the nose, don't roll the nose, split the nose and roll it, whatever ... I would never buy one for myself although I do know people who own them and love them and never have had many problems with them.

Some people hate Stilettos and I love mine. Canopies are all a matter of personal preference. Some people hate snivelling canopies. My Spectre snivelled like a mo fo but I never complained because I loved the soft openings.

I think the Sabre 2 is an excellent all around canopy. I've only had the opportunity to fly it a few times but it was very fun to fly and I didn't get whacked :)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

(This must be the zillionth Sabre hard opening posting...)

Presently I jump a Sabre 190 at wingload 1.1 . It should be OK for a beginner (I am beginner too). I can have fun with it in the air and nice tip-toe landings too, but I feel it's just a bit too tame for me, so the next one is going to be a 170.

I experienced the hard openings, still 'enjoying' one I had more than a month ago. [:/]
I don't like that this seems unpredictable: I just packed (tail rolled, slider quartered), fell and opened as usual. Normally I have nice openings except for this slammer. Comments from others: Sabres just do that sometimes...
I must admit I'm getting a bit scared to pull: my poor back.:S

So, all in all, maybe you'd be better off finding a 2nd hand Sabre2?

My Sabre2 is on it's way: hurry up PD!! Push the pedal to the metal on that sewing machine. B|

Apart from the occasional hard opening, Sabres are nice enough canopies. They fly well, land well and are pretty forgiving. The downside is those openings… about 1 in 100 jumps it will slam for no apparent reason – even if you have packed it exactly the same as you always do. :S Having said that, I have owned 2 Sabres (a 150 and a 135 – the 135 always seemed to behave better) and apart from the occasional nasty opening, they were pretty good canopies.

I finally replaced my Sabre 135 with a Spectre 135 before Christmas and I would recommend a Spectre to anyone looking for a first canopy – lovely openings, flies nicely and easy landings! Also much more solid in turbulence than a Sabre. :)
If the Sabre is all that is available, it’s an option but personally, I’d be inclined to look for a Spectre. Much nicer canopy and (as with anything more modern) it will keep its re-sale value much better.

hth! :)
Vicki

I own a sabre 170 and have put about 130 jumps on it.
mines has positive opening often off heading and usually with end cell closure. But i can only remember one opening when my feet ended up near my head.
As for packing , i just push the noes in and roll the tail well.

Apart from the colour I quite like the canopy but i have limited experience of other canopies out there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

I have never owned a Sabre, but I have put a fair number of jumps on a 170, 150, and 135 in the past. All three of those canopies opened just fine, and at the time, I wasn't the nicest packer. The key is, they were all fairly new AND IN TRIM!!! I always laugh at people who have a thousand jumps on their Sabre line set and wonder why the canopy opens hard... :S

I'm certainly not saying it's the only reason a Sabre (or any canopy) will open hard, but it is deffinately one reason.

Canuck

I used to jump a sabre 190. ABSOLUTLY the greatest canopy! Never a hard opening. I didn't roll the nose, but i did push it inside. It was nice and slow. Sabres are great! :)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

My ex had a Sabre 135 that he put about 300 jumps on with not one hard opening. I put about 60 jumps on a Sabre 150 and had one opening that rocked my world.

As has already been mentioned, learn to pack it for slower openings and keep a close eye on the line trim.

The original Sabre is a great choice for a first canopy, and you can find some good deals on them now too.

I've got about 500 jumps on an original Sabre 170. I do not roll the nose or perform any other packing 'tricks'. I have only had one slammer and that was because I packed it with the slider collapsed (Ooops!).

Sabre is an excellent starter canopy at that wing loading, depending on you experience level and canopy skills. Test jump it before you buy it.

Rock

linenbored:

What he said.

My Sabre 150 used to whack me every once in a while (bruised rib) but the pocket slider makes it open almost as well as my Diablo 150.

Good canopy w/ the pocket slider. I quarter the slider and roll the 3 end cells over once.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I've put nearly 100 or so jumps on a Sabre, and I have found the best openings to be when not rolling the nose, just pushing it inside decently far. On heading and a decent snivel.

I did my first 600 jumps on original Sabres, 170, 150, 135. They flew great and were super reliable. No particular problems with openings. One of the three had a pocket slider installed by the original owner but it opened too slowly for me and I took out the pocket.

Really good canopies, all three of them.

Evan