camgon

Tight Closing Loop = Bag Lock??

Random theory (which I am making up as I go along so feel free to flame away).

You have made your closing loop very tight. Does this mean that you are now putting a lot of force on the container to close up? Are you pushing down so hard that you are deforming the bag, pushing spare lines under the reserve tray or arong the bites of line for your stows?

Not sure about the Micron, does it have a long or short closing loop (from the back of the tray or does it start on the flaps)? If it comes from the back of the tray could this have an effect on the pack job as the closing loop is going around the bag and squashing it?

Aside from that, I can only think that it is just random.

Blue skies

Paul

I'm with Jan - Check that your bag-stop assembly is in place properly. If it is a rapide that has come loose, and now allows the bag to move up/down the inside bridal attachment lanyard(s) - when your PC is getting to the point of bag to line-stretch, if the bag is being allowed to move down the INSIDE length of lanyard (bridal attachment point to the top of the canopy) - that could explain the canopy having a "difficult time getting out of the bag", or the bag instead staying in place over the canopy.

If you don't know what is being referred to (and I appreciate I also personally do not explain things necessarily technically all that accurately either :)) - then have your rigger look at it now, while it is in his (her) possession.

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Someone PM'd me and said the following:

"Grommets on the first two stows are too big.
All or some of your HMA lines get sucked through."

I followed with this response:

"That's actually a REALLY good point. My D-bag has the large grommets. Also, with the HMA lines on the Nitro, they are more flexible and would get "sucked" through the grommets more easily than microline.

What's more, my tighter container from the tighter closing loop could have caused the flaps to push onto the lines more than usual once the container was closed. And it also makes sense since both jumps with the problem were the first jump on my rig for the day, meaning the lines had all night to get pushed into the grommets in my extra tight container."

What are people's thoughts on this? I've never heard of this happening, but it seems VERY plausible.

"That's actually a REALLY good point. My D-bag has the large grommets. Also, with the HMA lines on the Nitro, they are more flexible and would get "sucked" through the grommets more easily than microline."

If this was the cause, what's the theory to account for what you experienced? Is it that you had a slowly clearing bag lock (due to the stows) which delayed things a lot, and then by the time you decided to look, the stows had just cleared (so it just about to open), but you chopped anyway thinking that what you saw was what it had been stuck doing all that time?

"That's actually a REALLY good point. My D-bag has the large grommets. Also, with the HMA lines on the Nitro, they are more flexible and would get "sucked" through the grommets more easily than microline."

If this was the cause, what's the theory to account for what you experienced? Is it that you had a slowly clearing bag lock (due to the stows) which delayed things a lot, and then by the time you decided to look, the stows had just cleared (so it just about to open), but you chopped anyway thinking that what you saw was what it had been stuck doing all that time?

No, I'm still not sure why the 2nd time around the bag appeared to be open with just the tail coming out. It could still have been an after-effect from an issue with the last stow, but I'm not sure. As soon as I threw the PC, I was transitioned to an angle just a few degrees shy of vertical from the drag of the d-bag. I watched this configuration for about 2 seconds before I went for my handle.

No, I'm still not sure why the 2nd time around the bag appeared to be open with just the tail coming out.

Was your pilot-chute collapsed or not when you recovered your cut-away main in this condition? Locking-stows (rubber-bands) in-tact or broken?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

No, I'm still not sure why the 2nd time around the bag appeared to be open with just the tail coming out.

Was your pilot-chute collapsed or not when you recovered your cut-away main in this condition? Locking-stows (rubber-bands) in-tact or broken?

Pictures , please!

I'm with Jan - Check that your bag-stop assembly is in place properly. If it is a rapide that has come loose, and now allows the bag to move up/down the inside bridal attachment lanyard(s) - when your PC is getting to the point of bag to line-stretch, if the bag is being allowed to move down the INSIDE length of lanyard (bridal attachment point to the top of the canopy) - that could explain the canopy having a "difficult time getting out of the bag", or the bag instead staying in place over the canopy.

If you don't know what is being referred to (and I appreciate I also personally do not explain things necessarily technically all that accurately either :)) - then have your rigger look at it now, while it is in his (her) possession.

I agree that the rigger should check it out. I (and I'm sure UPT among others) would love to know if the HMA lines are being pulled thru the grommet. It would be a fairly easy fix to any rigger with a few tools and sewing machine.

As for the bridle, the V3-M's that I've seen (including mine) don't use links (rapide or slink) to attach the bag to the bridle, the bags grommet is basically 'wedged' inbetween two different sets of 'blocks' on the bridle to keep it in place. I know the OP has changed PC's so it could be a null point, but worth looking into.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Honestly, I don't know, I was very busy with students. Even when I landed under my reserve, the radio was immediately handed to me so I could talk down my AFF student. I then collected my gear, threw it in my rigger's van, and grabbed a rig from a friend.

Just a side note, there were no winds under 3000' that day, and my main and freebag (Skyhook) landed 15ft from me! Thanks Mark (the reserve side AFF-I) for the spot B|

Hey Cam,

I'll be out at WP Sat morning. I can take a look at your PC and bag if you'd like.

I also have an idea to test this 'HMA through the grommet' theory.

Steve

I won't be out for the next few weeks, but when I'm back we'll take a look at it.

I agree that the rigger should check it out. I (and I'm sure UPT among others) would love to know if the HMA lines are being pulled thru the grommet.

Me too, I've never heard of this happening before, so if the lines through the grommet is really what occurred, it'd be great for everyone to know. My rigger is Jim Crouch, so I'm sure it would make its way into Parachutist ;)