FIREFLYR

MEM DAY: Who is Going? When Will you Be There?

I got two this morning downtown. Where were you?????? Oh yeah... you were doing your weekly three hour round trip to nowhere.

Two Jumps?!?!?! Dude, put down the crack-pipe (or start sharing) cause that stuff is making you see things!!!;)

Baxter.

p.s. "nowhere" was a pretty nice place to huck this morning except for the po po who was lurking at th store.

2 Jumps...wow doesn't that blow away your jump count for the year?!! :S Liar Liar the Not Wing is on FIRE!!! Got any tar left over from the old days?B|

Very strong gusts.

I hereby move to change the big BASE boogie to Labor day weekend.

Anyone?

Yay!! Lets do that... I can't go memorial day anyhow! hehehe:)

i go both weekends regardless every year
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

Gardners going to TF. Yah My Man!!! There'll be so many flaming skulls on the bridge, the night jumps will be well lit, indeed. Ill be there, in fact giving you a ride, unless you guys pussed on that.

Forget baxter. He actually thinks bolt cutters are a new lock pick. Real base jumpers know different. Looking forward to seeing you guys fri sat sun mon.

Or until my neck gives out. [:/]

flaming skulls

can we get one of them to tell us the story behind that?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Everyone realizes that Memorial Day is pretty much the worst wind condtions of the year here, right?

Last year we had 5 ambulance rides Memorial Day, because everyone had to come to Twin at the worst time of the year...sigh.

What saftey things would you propose to those that are coming, other than not come?

dont take it deep? 50%/75% braked approach, or full flight? Stay in the open?

Anyother common sense info?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

What saftey things would you propose to those that are coming, other than not come?

Remember that you don't need to jump, even if you've travelled a long way to be here. And you certainly don't have to make any particular jump. If it looks too windy, it probably is. Better to stay on the ground than hurt yourself.

In wind, take the upper landing area. Stay in the middle of that area. Both of which mean, take a shorter delay, don't use a slider, and give yourself time to set up the landing.

Have a boat in the water (Don will be on hand), and don't be afraid to take the water out if things look squirrelly.

Under no circumstances make a panic turn. It's better to land downwind and break your leg than toggle yourself in and die.

And remember that drinking beer is always a good option. The Outback has happy hour all day for BASE jumpers (2nd drink is a penny), so if it's windy, there's always party options.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I would like to add that a good PLF can save many a broken bone!

Also add that not jumping is also a viable option
Leroy

One thing that some people may have not considered is where to exit in higher winds.

If the wind is up, and I'm landing at the upper landing area, I definitely don't want to cross the tree line unless I need to. That tree line has eaten many BASE canopies and jumpers.

In high wind, I will usually exit closer to the Twin Falls side of the bridge, in line with the landing area.

Make sure you're far enough out towards center span to lower the strike potential if you have a 90 right or greater.

If all goes well, you only need to fly straight out and turn 180 to land. You'll never have a chance to get involved with the tree line.

Turn earlier than you think you need to. It's better to come straight down if you're over the landing area, than if you're over something else. (If you turn into the wind and your canopy is moving backwards, you'll be glad you turned in earlier.)

----Center span exits----
Another common mistake I see everytime I'm in TF, is people that exit, fly straight down the beach, then turn and cross the treeline while they're very low.

I see lots of jumpers make their base leg only feet over the treetops and end up landing during their turn to final.

After opening, if your plan is to land at the upper landing area, make a straight line to the landing area and get across the treeline while you're well above it.

There is no need to fly down the beach and then cross the tree line low. This is especially important in higher wind conditions.

Use your head and think about things. Don't just do what everyone else is doing without thinking it through yourself.

BOTTOM LINE: You don't need to jump. I made one jump when the winds were absolutely nuking. I was flying a higher wingloading (ACE 220) and when I turned into the wind I was travelling straight down in full flight. Had I been flying my BlackJack 240 (with a lower WL), I would have been flying backwards pretty fast.

As soon as I opened I knew that I made a bad decision. It worked out okay, but it might not have.

Thanks to the jumpers that still talked to me after that one.