HELLvetic

famous swiss S is hot right now.

Just as a word of caution for other jumpers. Due to an undertermined misshap there recently (I am not sure of exactly what happened so I won't speculate...),I know from reliable sources that the local authorities are really out to catch someone there...
I would not want to be that jumper and neither do you... So be extra cautious!
Best would be to let it cool down for a while!

sorry for my ignorance, but is jumping in switzerland legal? I see so much video and pictures of the valley and never looked like it was ilegal...

Thanks chris;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

i read your other post and found out it was a bridge....i got it now...but wondering about tthe Valley i see in all the high profile pictures......My Father in law lives there so in the future it will be very helpfull...B|

this place to be look like it ...

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

i read your other post and found out it was a bridge....i got it now...but wondering about tthe Valley i see in all the high profile pictures ...

yeah, the S is a motorway bridge.. and as it's illegal to walk on the motorway...[:/] if it was a normal road would be ok...

the valley is legal. Till now. But please people, have respect for the place. Keep it clean. Don't do stupid stuff. I want to jump there legally some day.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

this place to be look like it ...

That pic looks like M****** in FR (Not in IT), or is it just another angle than i'm used to? :$
A pic from the L************ valley is enclosed here B|
The walley is legal, just follow the guidlines sett by the lokals at the different exitpoints and enjoy the easy freefall B|
About the S, never been there [:/]

That pic looks like M*****d in Italy

The French may have something to say about that ;). But I thought that pic was M*****d as well.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

...I thought that pic was M*****d as well.

I agree. And it scares me that I do so based on the shape of the exit point, rather than the background.

"Oh, I recognize that rock, and tuft of moss--that's in France..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

> sorry for my ignorance, but is jumping in switzerland legal?
Here comes the usual, old misunderstanding that American folks ALWAYS fall into.......
Let's state in advance few definitions:
LEGAL: activity acknowledged by law and ruled by law; anyone has the RIGHT to pursue such a legal activity, provided he/she sticks to the rules/laws
NOT ILLEGAL: activity not expressely forbidden by the law; anyone CAN pursue such an activity, provided he/she doesn't screw something else; there is NO RIGHT to purse such an activity, rather such an activiyt is "tolerated" by law/authorities
ILLEGAL: activity clearly forbidden by law; anybody caught doing such an activity can be chaased by law/authorities
In Switzerland/Italy/France BASE is simply NOT ILLEGAL, you can do BASE off mountains, provided you don't screw other aspects of jumping activity (=land in wrong sites, annoy local population, other...).
In Switzerland/Italy/France BASE done objects other than mountains is generally ILLEGAL (= due to the absence of legal accessibility to exit point), unless there are "special" objects whose access on exit is allowed to general public and landing is clear of structures/buildings/people (generally speaking, state owned land with no human activity underneath).
Hope to have cleared once forever the story of "legal" BASE here in Europe.
Very often the fact that European (latin countries...) authorities do not (strictly) chase for BASE jumpers who do BASE off objects (other than mountains), that is, sometimes BASE is TOLERATED, is wrongly mistaken by Americans/Anglosaxons by: "Ohhh, it's legal".
Just my 0.02€
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

A thought...

if "out of sight is out of mind" why don't people stop jumping the waterfall and focus on the other 3 exit points (well known at least). Any drama at the waterfall is immediately visible whilst the others seem to be lower profile.

I would be in favour of a moratorium on this exit point even though there is currently no pressure for this to occur.

That pic looks like M*****d in Italy

The French may have something to say about that ;). But I thought that pic was M*****d as well.

Gus

It's the tree, no doubt about it :)
JFK #1013
PM Me
No Adrenalin.... No Fun!
"Minds are like parachutes the

about the "famous" span:
use your head before jumping a highway bridge, think about what a driver in the car thinks when you jump.
the drivers never heard about BASE, they think you commit suicide.
if you like to jump this site,do it early morning or at night when traffic is low.
when you are ready to jump,wait for a gap in the traffic,so nobody see you leap.
maybe wear a orange suit like a road repairer for camouflage.
there is no need to jump this bridge, we have many similar sites without any bustfactor in our beautiful country.

A thought...

if "out of sight is out of mind" why don't people stop jumping the waterfall and focus on the other 3 exit points (well known at least). Any drama at the waterfall is immediately visible whilst the others seem to be lower profile.

I would be in favour of a moratorium on this exit point even though there is currently no pressure for this to occur.

if you absolute want to jump this spot, do it when the valley is quiet, early morning.
do one, enjoy, jump the other exits.
don't jump during a funeral at the graveyard underneath.
don't jump at night,the locals don't like it, also because of a possible helicopter rescue.
play save, short delays combined with a slider, this is an advanced jump!
be invisible,jump for you and not for the spectators,no impact.

for all exits in the valley:
land near roads on short grass.
call air glacier right before every jump.
ask for permission,let them know the spot and how many jumpers.
don't leave trash on exits and landing areas.
do a donation for the farmers. (in the horner's is a box to throw something in)
there is also a list with shooting times of the local rifle club, have a look!
they shoot through the main landing area of one spot!

be save, have fun!

m

To all:

- BASE here is Tolerated

If everyone knows how to do it right, behave and act in a self-responsible manner, it will stay that way.

(The meaning of "self-resposibility" (without the need of regulation by police/goverment) makes part of the swiss/europe mentality.)

(Thanks for the Italian Support ;-))

It is tolerated because of the good will of the people there: Local People, Air Glacier, The farmers

For their help and support, you might bring the farmers some good bottles of whiskey you brought from home, special schnaps and wine, sure they appreciate it if you do as well. Air Glacier, they like chocolate, flowers, etc...

This little things does make happy people and help increase the amount of tolerance we are happy to get from this people.

Even it seems unnecessary to mention, I repeat it again:

- Easy freefall:

Even this *might* be true for some exits, this is not the case everywhere!!! Neither underestimate the Spots nor overestimate your skills.

- Waterfall:

Keep jumping to a minimum, this spot is very close to the village. I suggest to, if you stay longer and absolutely want to jump this, do it just once early in the morning. There is no need to regulate (because regulation means responsibility, and noone has any interest to take this.

Use your brain, the people in the village are still traumatised (I spoke to one last week) from the Guys who jumped during a funeral!!!

- Trash / Garbage:

Don't leave anything there!!! It is not nice to see this bottles, red-bull cans, etc anymore. And the Guy who left tons of duct-tape at serveral exits last week should learn to fly with a bowling ball whenever I see him littering exits...

Replaceing old ropes is possible however.

- Exits:

Don't touch the exits. They are opened that way and jumped that way too. Don't cut trees, this is bad attitude!

The Guys who completely rebuilt the upper Nose Exit jst because they couldn't do a correct 2way otherwise already know they did wrong. I hope not to see this anymore.

- Landing:

NOT IN HIGH GRASS. Cutting the grass on a fields where several jumpers walked on in a pain in the a... for a farmer. The pushed down grass gets stock in the cutting machine and every time this happens, the farmer has to get out of their tractors, remove the stock grass by hand before they can continue to cut the grass.

Go check the landings before you walk up. If you don't see any options, don't jump or go to talk to the farmer.

- Call Air Glacier

- Be safe and spread the love

- Most Important: Be nice to the locals

Be nice with them, even if you think it sounds strange but paying loads of beer and coffee in the morning after, sharing girlfriends, packing others parachutes is considered good behaviour and is normal there.

sharing girlfriends, packing others parachutes is considered good behaviour and is normal there.

TONI, YOU WILL HAVE TO BE MY MENTOR NOW :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

sharing girlfriends is considered good behaviour and is normal there.

I'm moving to Italy immediately. C ya! :ph34r:

Hi Tom,

Go ahead if you think this is worth it.

I just did not wanted to stir in here, cause the original thread, for the good or the bad, was an advertising for the bridge: For those who did not aware about it know now. (To Hellvetic: Try to distribute such info via your friends first, before doing this worldwide.) That's why it should be on its own.

So for the bad for the valley: speaking about it makes even more people there (no need to elaborate here.. even sometimes you meet good people).

For the good: those people coming should know to behave, (all against it is actively burning this site).

Thanks Tom for the nice support
/Toni

Hey Toni, I think it would make a great new thread. I am all for keeping places like this open. For one, I haven't even done my first base jump but could not imagine learning and training to jump here only to find out some people contributed to getting it banned. I think the more information like this that is circulated the more it will make it more evident , we have to start taking some responsability for our actions. ...We are guests when we are there and should act like it... I would invest in anything to preserve my right to one day jump there the same way i invest to make sure my kids have the same freedoms i have today....

Lets here more Toni.......

It is true that the famous S (Yver) is now hot, and I would recommend not to jump it.

Locals ask us to stop jumping there. They also warned me that they will call the police if they see jumpers around.

The reason they gave me is “RESPECT”. We drive like crazy through the village putting children at risk; we shout at each jump and that even during the night; music at 10pm while arriving; jumping while horses are below; breaking fences…

Now, the legal risk we face is important. Parachute activity is governed by rules (i.e. Droit aérien suisse), and the activity associated to the jump are also not always legal. So, don’t get caught, or you will be in serious trouble.

Now, if some beginners need assitance to find another place to jump, they can drop me an email, I will assist.

Be safe, Jerome J.